Snook on the Beach

Coming down to Sanibel for our annual vacation. We will be there from 6/9 thru 6/30. How has the snook fishing been on the beachs? We will be there thru a full moon so hopefully the females will spawning.
Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk

Replies

• Art RArt R Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Huh?? Does that mean you are already here and almost going home ? Anyway, was on Blind Pass this morning. Saw some snook. Saw at least a dozen pods of reds burning down the beach but didn't want anything. Caught a small trout. High sun, low tide, there was a school of Very Large snook, 20 ft. off the beach sunning themselves. Wouldn't touch a thing. Couldn't be spooked. At least I know they are still there.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 457 Deckhand
    I meant 7/9 thru 7/30
  • tightloops65tightloops65 Posts: 115 Deckhand
    Just got back from Sanibel and fished W Gulf area, saw several big females but lockjawed. Caught some small males on the beach along with trout, mackerel and jacks. Water was off colored due to Franklin dam letting out 10k+ CFS......tough fishing. Keep an eye on the Franklin dam reports and pray for sub 4K CFS for cleaner water. Tried fishing the rocks but no luck. Here's the link:

http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports/r-s79m.html
    That's the area I will be fishing W Gulf. I'm 2 condos over from Waterside. Every year it seems like they are dumping water. I've been there when the water tastes almost fresh. Any bait on the beaches? Would like to catch some jacks they are good shark bait for night fishing.
    If your staying around the Waterside, walk north past Island Inn and fish the area between Island Inn and Sunset beach (yellow umbrellas on beach) in front of the condos, this area seems to produce some of the best fishing on W Gulf. If you're in the water, your fishing too far out. The snook will be in the surf/trough......use white twister tails (1/8-1/4oz jigs), greenback Mirrodines and DOA shrimp (copper crush/glow).

You will be there during the prime for big females. In 14', I fished this section mid-July and hit 15 or so 35"+ females.
    this is what im looking for image.jpg (90.2 KB) Ive been fishing down there for 15 years. and have caught a lot of big snook through the years. How was the bait in the early am. Some of my biggest snook have been caught on whiting.
    Can't get the others to load. Here is an average I was catching. I'm 6'3" just for size reference.
    I very rarely fish Artie's at the beach. Mainly white bait or live whiting for snook. I'll fish for pompano also. In the evening we break out the big poles and shark fish. I'm there for 21days so I have plenty of time. My buddy runs the condo we stay at and he is a fishing nut so he keeps up to date.
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 104 Deckhand
    Limey wrote: »
    I very rarely fish Artie's at the beach. Mainly white bait or live whiting for snook. I'll fish for pompano also. In the evening we break out the big poles and shark fish. I'm there for 21days so I have plenty of time. My buddy runs the condo we stay at and he is a fishing nut so he keeps up to date.

Limey - i`m doing a 6 week tour of the keys but starting in Fort Meyers (i should have decided to stay on Sanibel instead) for a week and am 20mins from Sanibel. I`m avid as hell, will catch anything just for the sake of catching. If you need someone to fish with you or help you fish for bait (Jacks) i`m there - always nice fishing with someone who knows the area a little. Ive been scanning this forum but little info available and very few anglers willing to part with info. I'm pretty big into sharking too so i`m game to join you if you feel you need someone with some tail rope experience. Ive never caught a snook - i just want to catch 1!!
  • GeeTeeGeeTee Boca RatonPosts: 104 Deckhand
    Your SNOOKS make me jealous guys. Tightloops - thanks for the info there - nice to be able to start off throwing something you know they like!
  • starcraftbrianstarcraftbrian Posts: 262 Officer
    If your staying around the Waterside, walk north past Island Inn and fish the area between Island Inn and Sunset beach (yellow umbrellas on beach) in front of the condos, this area seems to produce some of the best fishing on W Gulf. If you're in the water, your fishing too far out. The snook will be in the surf/trough......use white twister tails (1/8-1/4oz jigs), greenback Mirrodines and DOA shrimp (copper crush/glow).

You will be there during the prime for big females. In 14', I fished this section mid-July and hit 15 or so 35"+ females.

Good info here!
    I will be down there too. From the 18-23 Baseball tournament with son.
    Is there an access point where we can get to these areas??
    Looks pretty private on Google Earth.

Thanks for your help, its catch and release for us this week.
    Any updates? How's the water looking?
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Any updates? How's the water looking?

Not sure if he got any snook but he did catch something.
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?226822-Rare-Saw-Fish
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org