Finally got a boat, need some guidance

Hey guys, well, I finally bought a boat. 12 foot jon boat with a 8HP Mercury, its been an absolute blast getting to some new places! Compared to my wade fishing adventures, its been awesome. So far I've fished out of Anclove River park (staying pretty close, fishing near mangroves and small islands) and Philippe park. While I've caught a few trout and ladyfish, I've still never caught a single Redfish. I'm wondering if I can get some guidance on my timing or location? I usually throw live shrimp and pinfish, I'll also work a spoon too. Not looking for any secrets or GPS, but some basic guidance on where I'm going wrong.

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 986 Officer
    Fish incoming high tides around mangrove lines with cut pinfish or shrimp. Early morning or evening are best. If the tides don't coincide with the day at least hit the right tide. Fish move in and out with the tide. If you really want red fish look for oyster bars on a low tide and then come back and fish around them on a high tide.
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    If you launch out of Phillipe Park you might want to spend some time on Booth Point.

I'll let you figure out the seasonal specifics of location and tide. :wink
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Shrimp tend to be a more productive bait in the winter months. They work in the summer but the pins and other garbage fish tend to pick them apart before the target species have a chance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flynavyflynavy Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    Fish incoming high tides around mangrove lines with cut pinfish or shrimp. Early morning or evening are best. If the tides don't coincide with the day at least hit the right tide. Fish move in and out with the tide. If you really want red fish look for oyster bars on a low tide and then come back and fish around them on a high tide.

There is actually a large oyster bar off of Anclove that I saw during low tide recently. I will try to navigate over there during high tide and see what we got.
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 717 Officer
    RMD wrote: »
    Shrimp tend to be a more productive bait in the winter months. They work in the summer but the pins and other garbage fish tend to pick them apart before the target species have a chance.

This is so true, especially this year. The pinfish are silly thick on every flat. Fairly common to get 50 to 100 with one throw of the net. Cut and live pins have out fished greenies 4 to 1
  • flynavyflynavy Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    lukkyracer wrote: »
    This is so true, especially this year. The pinfish are silly thick on every flat. Fairly common to get 50 to 100 with one throw of the net. Cut and live pins have out fished greenies 4 to 1

I used pins last week, and caught a bunch of catfish. Does this just mean that particular area is a bust for any game fish?
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    flynavy wrote: »
    I used pins last week, and caught a bunch of catfish. Does this just mean that particular area is a bust for any game fish?

Probably a bad spot. Possibly too close to the bottom as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    flynavy wrote: »

You were probably fishing too deep IMHO.

Would also guess you didn't have much water movement in that area and probably a muddy bottom.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • Moken10Moken10 Posts: 292 Deckhand
    Do you guys usually free line pins on a shallow flat? I've never had luck with live pins in less than 2+ ft of water. Also never caught a red on a live pin. Slayed em on cut pins
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 717 Officer
    Moken10 wrote: »
    Do you guys usually free line pins on a shallow flat? I've never had luck with live pins in less than 2+ ft of water. Also never caught a red on a live pin. Slayed em on cut pins

I never free line pins in shallow water. All they want to do is hide in the grass, so a bobber/cork is crucial if you want to keep the bait in the strike zone. If you haven't caught a red on live pinfish, you haven't used them much, or there were no fish there. Best red day ever was 45 fish between a buddy and I in 2 hours. All caught on live pins under a Cajun thunder.

So yes pinfish do work!!