Capt Artie price method of handling tarpon

For all you " you your holding the fish wrong" people

This should get interesting. Check out Save the Tarpon's facebook....https://www.facebook.com/SaveTheTarpon/

They got ahold of a video of a long time "reputable" guide feeding a boatside tarpon to sharks. He holds it next to the boat like he is reviving it, but you hear in the background saying get ready here they come and other remarks like that...and then the sharks tear it apart while he holds it there feeding the tarpon to the sharks.

Get the popcorn ready it should be an interesting to see if anything happens legally to him or if he loses sponsors. Only way I see him dodging the bullet is his face never is shown in the video. So maybe it wasn't him....unforutently his client put him on blast on facebook. Social media kills again.

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,828 AG
    It is him. He admitted it and apologized on Facebook.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,828 AG
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Tarpon fishing is not an easy thing.

But it is easily made a political one.

Got a mail from Art last night. He said the same thing.

It was his birthday, BTW.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • gumpiregumpire Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    Apology - BS

How is it political? It's just crap for a guide to do that, hand feed a tarpon to the Sharks. "Hey watch this guys..."
    And why should I give a crap about his b day?
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Since it was his birthday then it is OK ... good grief Gary. It is political as it should be.

Looked deliberate to me. After the first bite he continued to try to revive the tarpon ... come on. How about the second one when it was cut in half ... still trying to revive it? He finally lost it and that ended it. Deliberate IMO and it should cost him his license.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    :Spittingcoffee Good luck with that.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    I know you are correct but I also doubt you would have done the same thing.
    I generally don't have much to say but this is pretty lame from a so called "professional".
    Like most things, no consequence promotes bad behavior.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    Well sometimes things just happened. He said it all went so fast, that he didn't have much time to think about things.

And his client wanted a hero shot with the fish.

I think Artie felt very badly about it. I don't think that pillorying the guy is gonna help.

I agree
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    He felt bad when it went viral, and sponsors started calling...

Screw it,

Gary can you tell me honestly how often you have held onto a tarpon while sharks are eating it..

I guarantee you if it was a ptts day that fish would of lived..at least till after weigh in..
  • KokiKoki Posts: 49 Deckhand
    Quite easy to lose a license. FWC will suspend a license 6 months for one slightly under size lobster. Not something to joke about.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 8,591 Admiral
    What should he have done?
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    What he did was stupid, really stupid. I don't know the guy but I know that I have done some really stupid things in my life also, and so have all of my friends as well. Thank God people didn't have their phone recording it at the time. Social media and facebook really have a way of bringing our flaws to light.

Hopefully he was sincere when he apologized and will learn from his mistakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,389 Admiral
    What should he have done?

Broken it off before it tired too much as many of us do
    Maybe fish elsewhere.

• AlphachiefAlphachief Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    With all we have going on in the world, you judgmental and sanctimonious fools are worried about this? Capt. Price has probably caught and safely released more tarpon than most of us on this forum combined. Who are we to judge him on this when, contrary to popular belief, we don't fully know the context or his intent. I'd gladly fish with him tomorrow.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,184 Captain
    RexLan wrote: »
    Since it was his birthday then it is OK ... good grief Gary. It is political as it should be.

Looked deliberate to me. After the first bite he continued to try to revive the tarpon ... come on. How about the second one when it was cut in half ... still trying to revive it? He finally lost it and that ended it. Deliberate IMO and it should cost him his license.

So nice to see you back, Rex!
    Jim
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Alphachief wrote: »
    With all we have going on in the world, you judgmental and sanctimonious fools are worried about this? Capt. Price has probably caught and safely released more tarpon than most of us on this forum combined. Who are we to judge him on this when, contrary to popular belief, we don't fully know the context or his intent. I'd gladly fish with him tomorrow.

Caught or snagged?!? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

He put on a show for his clients by grabbing the fish with sharks on it when he knew it was not in the best interest of the fish...

It's funny how people's actions can be driven by money... He had paying clients who wanted a photo so he gave them their money's worth by feeding that fish to the sharks... If it were a PTTS event, and money was on the line... I'm sure he would have done all he could to save that fish just long enough to measure it...

Sad, because in both scenarios the fish loses for the sake of a couple dollars...
  • AlphachiefAlphachief Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Caught or snagged?!? Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Yeah, it's amazing how those snagged tarpon always seem to get snagged in the mouth. :wink
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 8,591 Admiral
    Westwall01 wrote: »

If he'd broken it off the sharks would've eaten it just the same right there.

The only things he did wrong was laugh about it and video it.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,184 Captain
    Westwall01 wrote: »

I agree, West.
    But the guy wants to bring a tarpon to the boat for his customer.
    I don't know, if he had cut the line with sharks that close to the boat, the results would have probably been the same.
    What the arm chair posters don't realize is that this stuff happens in seconds.
    I'd give the Captain a little slack.
    Jim
  • RockyTopRockyTop Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Regardless of whether the tarpon would have escaped if he broke it off it's odds of survival with that approach were better than with the approach he took. Customer wants a picture or not, the captain makes the rules on his boat and he could have established beforehand that if this scenario occurs (which is not unusual) we will be breaking off the fish to give it at least some chance of survival.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,389 Admiral
    If he'd broken it off the sharks would've eaten it just the same right there.

The only things he did wrong was laugh about it and video it.

I see your lack of Tarpon fishing expierence
    Scoutboat wrote: »
    I agree, West.
    But the guy wants to bring a tarpon to the boat for his customer.
    I don't know, if he had cut the line with sharks that close to the boat, the results would have probably been the same.
    What the arm chair posters don't realize is that this stuff happens in seconds.
    I'd give the Captain a little slack.
    Jim

Sure, it happens in seconds... This captain had experienced this hundreds of times... I'm sure he was not surprised to see the sharks... It is nearly expected this time of year... In fact, he seemed delighted to see them...

There is no doubting that the fish had little chance of surviving once the captain put his hands on it. By that time, the fish was too exhausted if he was able to hang onto the fish...

What most experienced tarpon fisherman know though is how to recognize when sharks are on a fish... Even when you can't see the sharks or the fish... After you've lost a few fish to sharks, it is pretty easy to recognize well in advance of the fish actually being attacked.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,282 AG
    Pilchard wrote: »
    Sure, it happens in seconds... This captain had experienced this hundreds of times... I'm sure he was not surprised to see the sharks... It is nearly expected this time of year... In fact, he seemed delighted to see them...

There is no doubting that the fish had little chance of surviving once the captain put his hands on it. By that time, the fish was too exhausted if he was able to hang onto the fish...

What most experienced tarpon fisherman know though is how to recognize when sharks are on a fish... Even when you can't see the sharks or the fish... After you've lost a few fish to sharks, it is pretty easy to recognize well in advance of the fish actually being attacked.
    How many is a few??

I sure the learning curve isn't the same for everyone..
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    How many is a few??

I sure the learning curve isn't the same for everyone..

I purposely used a broad term for that reason. After you've caught enough to know how they normally behave when hooked and then see how they behave when being sharked, it is pretty easy to tell.

A captain with the experience of Price certainly can tell a shark is on a fish long before he sees the shark.

Of course there are times when a shark(s) connects with a fish on its first attempt and neither you or the tarpon know it's coming... But with a pack of bull sharks, the fish normally exhibits some behavior that tips you off.

Hope this answers your question... BTW, I rebuilt that Morgan I PMd you about last year and sold it. Cool boat.