Caught (and released) a Sailfish today off Tarpon Springs!

I never fish for grouper in the summer but my son, DIL, and their best friend couple are visiting from Dallas. I don't have any numbers out past about 40' so I headed out to some public numbers ( RJ Thompson) and thought I'd just troll around out there to see if I could find some grouper. I was near the wreck and was just setting up a stretch 45 about 60 yards behind the boat. I just had put it in gear when we hooked the sail. It jumped a bunch of times before we got it to the boat. My son is 6'4" so we estimated it was over 6' long. We safely dehooked it and it swam away to fight another day. My crew thought I was awesome for putting them on a sailfish, but it was pure dumb luck that hopefully made up for no keeper grouper. I saw the other thread a few days ago about the sail sighting but didn't really pay much attention. It was my first ever sailfish. If someone could PLEASE tell me what freaking depths the gags are in I would be really grateful...lol

I posted a picture of the sailfish on my tidewater boat owners forum site. Of course I forgot the GoPro.

http://www.tidewaterowners.com/topic1575.html

2014 Tidewater 230lxf, 250XA Yamaha, "Reel Luv'n"
2017 Hog Island SW16, Suzuki DF25A
2015 Tracker Guide V-14 jon boat (sold)
2002 Seaswirl Striper 2101wa, 150hp Yamaha, "O'baybe" (Sold)
Tidewaterowners.com

Replies