Looking for 5wt set up for saltwater

ReelOfSteelReelOfSteel Posts: 126 Officer
Looking to buy a 5wt set up to use in both fresh and salt water, any recommendations?

Replies

• Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Yeah. Get a 7 wt.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • ReelOfSteelReelOfSteel Posts: 126 Officer
    Already have an 8WT just want something smaller to mess around with
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,282 Captain
    Looking to buy a 5wt set up to use in both fresh and salt water, any recommendations?

If I'm wading for redfish or juvi tarpon, chances are I'm using a 5wt. If I'm in a boat, I prefer a 7 for handling fish boatside. It's no t an ego thing, the 5wt is just a better tool for making short casts with relatively small flies. You picked a good time to shop, with all the new gear coming out in the next couple weeks, there are several premium rods being discontinued (sage one for instance), so there are deals to be had if you do some digging. Asking a forum to tell you what to buy isn't a good idea , go to your local shop and cast some rods.
  • hipshothipshot Posts: 27 Greenhorn
    FWIW I use a 5 wt. a lot in the salt. When I'm casting unweighted or lightly weighted flies in a light wind it'll be on the 5 wt. or (sometimes, when everything's right) a 2 wt. My current 5 wt. rig is an Orvis Recon with an Orvis Hydros SLV reel. The 2 wt. is a TFO Pro 2 (8') with an Orvis Hydros reel. For some reason a lot of folks don't understand that rod weight is about what you are casting (and in what conditions), not what you are fishing for. Naturally, you wouldn't use the 5 for triple digit tarpon, but the old "You gotta have an 8 wt. for slot reds and a 10 for bulls" is nonsense. With the right tippet and enough backing, you can whip some pretty awesome fish with a light rod. You fight them with the butt, not the tip. Just be careful in very warm water; overplaying a fish in warm water can kill it. I use a rubber net to land them quicker than I could by hand or with a lip gripper. My saltwater arsenal consists of 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, and 12 weight rigs, and I use them all. On my rare freshwater forays I use the 2 or the 5; I generally only do fresh during the white bass or crappie spawns. Most of my saltwater fishing is for Texas reds, with a lot of specks thrown in and an occasional (pretty rare) shot at tarpon. I generally pole & wade out of a kayak or my Soloskiff. I suuuuure do miss those schoolie tarpon (and snook, and snappers, and cudas, and bonefish, and grouper, and dolphin, and sails, and white marlin, etc., etc.,) I used to catch as a high school kid in the Gables and the Keys in the sixties........
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,097 Captain
    - Got to go with Gary on this one... the smallest rod I find useful in the 'Glades (or at night around bridges and docklights on the east coast) is a 7wt ..... That 7wt only comes out during winter when we're using smaller flies and working way up inside almost into freshwater. The vast majority of the flies my anglers use are just a bit too big for any lighter rods...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Guys: Whether it's birds or salt I'm always over-gunned...even my in my 28 ga I shoot 1oz Federal or B&P...salt it's 8 and above...I still do some trout/steel with 4 and 5 Sage but never exceeding 8lbs in tippet, usually 4 and 6lbs the 4 wt and 6 in the 6...in trout configurations these blanks have no guts in the butt but then they are not 6wt xi2 or xi3...so what tippet is used for 2 through 6 wt in salt and what rods?
    tarpon41 wrote: »
    .so what tippet is used for 2 through 6 wt in salt and what rods?

My 5 is an Xi3, and it definitely is a 5 only by name (the same can be said for a lot of 5's). I fish a 6wt monic gsp sky line on it, and I typically use 10lb class. Flies are typically no bigger than a #4, but if I want to swing #2 poppers that's exactly what I'm going to do.
  • td.td. Posts: 4,695 Captain
    I won't try to add to the advice here but if you are looking for a great salt 5 wgt, take a look at the Sage Method. I have the Sage One and it's characteristics seem very similar, as does the build construction. The Method was designed for saltwater, although the One can be used in it as well. I also use the Xi3 for my heavier rods and the Method was their replacement.
    td. wrote: »
    I won't try to add to the advice here but if you are looking for a great salt 5 wgt, take a look at the Sage Method. I have the Sage One and it's characteristics seem very similar, as does the build construction. The Method was designed for saltwater, although the One can be used in it as well. I also use the Xi3 for my heavier rods and the Method was their replacement.

The salt replaced the Xi3, the method replaced the TCX.
    I've cast both, the Salt seems very whippy compared to the Method. It (method) throws much closer to my current sticks.
    I've cast both, the Salt seems very whippy compared to the Method. It (method) throws much closer to my current sticks.

It loads deeper, pretty much the opposite of a method. It was designed for versatility, and I don't think they missed the mark by much, but if you're accustomed to swinging a canon like a TCX/method it'll be tough to get used to.
    Hey, have you had a chance to throw the new X yet? I haven't although I will probably be at one of the shops today and may try it. Just curious if it's faster than the One or just 'different'. They make it sound more controllable yet very fast. Might be a good wind rod.
    Hey, have you had a chance to throw the new X yet? I haven't although I will probably be at one of the shops today and may try it. Just curious if it's faster than the One or just 'different'. They make it sound more controllable yet very fast. Might be a good wind rod.

They'll be available August 1st. I have one waiting for me in Montreal, but you're not going to get much feedback from me until it has a few miles on it. The X rod is using the same "konnetic" material, with a new bonding agent. That means a stronger bond with less resin used to make the blank, so it will be lighter and more responsive than the One. We'll see. Evidently Loomis has a big reveal coming up too. I'm trying really hard to be optimistic, but......
    Just threw the 590 X, shop here got lucky and got one at the reveal on the Yakima. Feels a lot like an XP with the power of the One. Deceiving power at that. The tip was real nice and it easily tossed tight loops. On false casts I had to slow down my tempo some. Nice rod, can't wait to fish it.
    Crappy graphics pic

6133257b25a92ac27e35de03922928c8.jpg
  • nolegsinmiaminolegsinmiami Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    I have the Sage Xi3 5wt as well and it is an awesome rod....its shorter than 9' like 8'10" or something. I love Hardy Rods and they have a salty 5wt, but haven't had a chance to cast it.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,051 Officer
    Check out this combo....Allen Azimuth 5 wt with their new Atlas 2. Great stuff for the value!
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
    I've landed some 4lb smallmouth on the 790-X, and it is a lot of fun. Tight but forgiving, lots of power where it belongs.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    I agree with Mr Dirt on casting lots of rods before you buy one, Nobody else can pick a rod for somebody else, or pick out your next girlfriend. Just remember what works for me may not work for you, we all have different casting styles, then you can change the fly line and it's a different rod again, or go from a really heavy bomb fly to a non weighted one, or even the length of the leader can change the attitude of the rod. I used to go to the fly shows with my own reels and lines and cast different rods all day long.....seems Sage or Loomis was always the winner for my casting stroke....good luck and don't let anybody talk you into something you don't like cause it's on sale.

My 2 cents

Carl Blackledge
  • hooknsnookhooknsnook Posts: 62 Greenhorn
    it says 5wt setup.. so here is my favorite 5wt reel been fishing it for about 3 years now of all my 5/6 reels
    this one sees the most use and has never let me down
    nautilus fwx 5/6! I would think the new X series is even better.. good luck with your search/setup
    let us know what you got
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Already have an 8WT just want something smaller to mess around with

Salt? Try a 6wt then...

HQ_wncxu9hQbMdL5RkOaES9AaOQOy5r9e6ElzMWyccMIvGlD561GN7SGt3b0dbZttv4vfZZqtC5q-v-YIpUlg9JIq8rbPp9Cz05tcKN1kh2_bmRFkw-RaMiDsZ45e_7pJKOd9tZDbfZiFX7TP-qY-WPd_nucvJ9ETk6olCbZ2YXXMbJQQ8XB2hc1nCmKsZSAbspPDPwZb24MxRZTuQeBFfNX5Itb4o_AkxFTrNkTB43WjWVHHfm4GQb177wYKEC4xiKxPeam5wWdJ7fwlW6aGLTefjiJZ3WmDRJEmF8r8AMygzGDricytYWRLPMBIUz3Mhcbh1jy5UvIWZj4ituDBC9PlbdB_CUhdr-5N6Rsg61HQA4fs4o_vPt7tnBFBgjwVy4oolpN3Z1XJyUzBhbVTut2jx6iUabkxCZTpujeVE676CKEgjMwWFt_xCsDeVzhIEPYUXmkZQO0LjpNEQZc1kRvY83t2BqvT8D063jHj7Iw1gwEQkY-KzIQsznZkmM62LtJ5y_gnFi4oujXTneauQtKsTGAMowHIeOaZD6q24_rZ3BnQrYjqK_gW_8xXC58Zz8Mo2oMGHqb9ymqQohTwA2TwQGVIWs=w1593-h955-no
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod