Islamorada snorkeling help please!

Hello Keys forum. I am bringing my wife and two step-daughters down to Islamirada next weekend. I'm looking for some snorkeling spots in that area. They are total rookies. Are there any shallow reefs in the area that would be good for them? Thank you!
23 contender with 200 Mercury Optimax
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• keylargo359keylargo359 Posts: 1,249 Officer
    There will be a thousand yahoo's on the water that weekend be extra careful try and go to ware the mooring buoys are and the local charters go. I'm not to familiar with the dive sites in islamorada but if you want to make the run head 15 miles north to John Penny Kamp. there are lots of shallow dive spots.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    Hens and Chickens
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
  • holdemhook1holdemhook1 Posts: 168 Officer
    lbud wrote: »
    Hens and Chickens

That is very close to where we are staying. Thank you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    The very best spot for kids and novices will be "Cheeca Rocks". Shallow, very little current (normally) and well developed coral. It's off of Cheeca Lodge just a little south west of Whale Harbor channel. They have a lot of mooring buoys, but it's best to get their early to make sure you can get one.
  • grady30wagrady30wa Posts: 10,161 AG
    Be careful out there on the weekends. Heard on the radio today that a snorkeler off a dive boat out of Port Largo got hit by a boat and suffered severe lacerations to her backside.

23' Sea Vee ran her over. Sounded like she was going to be OK, but coast guard and ems were meeting them on the way in
    Schadenfreude. November 8, 2016
  • holdemhook1holdemhook1 Posts: 168 Officer
    The very best spot for kids and novices will be "Cheeca Rocks". Shallow, very little current (normally) and well developed coral. It's off of Cheeca Lodge just a little south west of Whale Harbor channel. They have a lot of mooring buoys, but it's best to get their early to make sure you can get one.

Got it. Thank you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]