Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Frustration at the gun shop

2»

Replies

• RyanStahl_RRTRyanStahl_RRT Senior Member Gainesville/ArcherPosts: 110 Deckhand
    Update. So I did the appeal process with the FBI NICS division. Turns out, some one with the same name as me back in northern Michigan who lives about 30 miles from where I am from had a restraining order placed on him earlier this year. Called my local county court house, where luckily I know everyone since its a one stop light town, and they are taking care of all the paper work for me. So now its just a waiting game. Still going to pursue the U-pinn. Theoretically I could have to go through this process every time I go to buy a new gun
  • gettinwetgettinwet Senior Member Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Update. So I did the appeal process with the FBI NICS division. Turns out, some one with the same name as me back in northern Michigan who lives about 30 miles from where I am from had a restraining order placed on him earlier this year. Called my local county court house, where luckily I know everyone since its a one stop light town, and they are taking care of all the paper work for me. So now its just a waiting game. Still going to pursue the U-pinn. Theoretically I could have to go through this process every time I go to buy a new gun

Wow! A government process that though not the most convenient given its sheer scale actually works! So vote for Trump and get less of this?
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    gettinwet wrote: »
    Wow! A government process that though not the most convenient given its sheer scale actually works! So vote for Trump and get less of this?

Nothing will change , there will be no "less". There never is.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • majorgatormajorgator Senior Member High Springs, FLPosts: 372 Deckhand
    gettinwet wrote: »
    Wow! A government process that though not the most convenient given its sheer scale actually works!
    I wouldn't exactly say the program worked. The government did allow for this confusion in the first place and has not created a simple solution for overcoming it. I'm guessing that they're not going to offer any sort of compensation or "sorry-for-the-hassle" gift for this guy. In fact, after going through all this, he'll still probably have to pay for a background check. Sounds to me like the government screwed up, cost someone a whole bunch of time and money, while illegally denying him his constitutional right.

I wonder what would have happened if he would have been stopped by a federal law enforcement officer while in possession of a firearm. I would then wonder how many times said officer has heard the phrase "you got the wrong guy, I'm not him"
  • RyanStahl_RRTRyanStahl_RRT Senior Member Gainesville/ArcherPosts: 110 Deckhand
    Im learning, as expected. This is a very slow process. Nobody in the government offices seems to be trying to get this addressed in a quick manner. So the criminals get their guns, yet the guy who has done everything right and legally is stuck defenseless.
    (not really, but you know what I mean.) Wondering how many books I could have bought since this thing started.