First time night Snapper fishing

Headed out 3 pm with Larrywit 18-20 Mls to a few spots we were trying out, although we never fished. Great bottom and the screen lit up. Fish After fish after fish, short grouper, a few short lanes, Tomtates ,and what seamed to be hundreds of Grunts. Pull the hook and go to spot 2, same. One more time and now getting dark. My newly installed spreader lights...the BOMB! Brought in tons of bait fish and lit up the deck,
and of coarse we were using our home made chum. Larry was on short grouper all night with some grunts of coarse, and he puts out another heavier rig and gets 2 or 3 real good pulls and bam! Cut off. I put down a medium size rig with a butterflied Tomtate and bam! I'm on and he's hooked! I'm putting ALL the heat I've got, and trying to horse him In as fast as I can , and he's winning, I'm using Power Pro 80 lbs slick wth 200 lbs leader, well he got the best of me, I handed it over to Larry to finish him off and the Goliath, I thought it was, surfaced, and low and behold...a big Nurse Shark...Big, Huge, Gigantic! Well that was that. So, gorgeous night, less than 1 ft seas in and out, tally 6 lanes and a butt load of trash fish for chum. Well, I guess like anything else, this was the beginning of my Snapper night fishing learning curve. Did have a great time with Larry, he's always a hoot to fish with. Thanks for coming Larry we'll have to do it again.
Here's ta swimn' with bowllegged women!

Replies

• Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    Nice report Frank , you need to add a little Sugar to the chum to get the big Grouper :grin
  • tilemantileman Posts: 1,118 Officer
    This trip was to target, mangos, yellows,and lanes! Sugar! Dang! Ya learn something new every day on FS thanks Bob
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    The learning curve for night snapper fishing. I picked a spot that I have not fished in a long time, but had a good lane snapper bite. So figured it would be a even better spot at night. Well it was an instant fish on as soon as the bait got close to the bottom. As I remember there was never much of a grouper bite at the two spots we fished. This time it was grouper after grouper shorts multiple fish to 19 1/2.
    And all the Grunt you could ever want. For a bend in your rod it was constant.
    On another note, moon rise was not till 10:00PM until then it was really dark. Tileman's new lights were great, he will be tweaking their position. When they were illuminating the water, the bait schools showed up flying fish, ballyhoo, squid, they all came to our light. Then sharp nose sharks came in to play too often. The seas were great out and in.

We were using squid and fresh cut up tomtates for bait no shrimp on this trip.
    Next trip will be out of Redfish Pass to some Ledges that have been go to day time snapper bite.
    Till next time.
    larrywitt
    thanks for the addition Larry I sometimes pass up details. actually the sharp nose sharks are quite tasty if you steak out the fish and marinated in Italian dressing, I just didn't feel like messing with them. Maybe next weekend, I have that week end off. We'll talk about it
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Grunts sure are tasty!
  • Luna SeaLuna Sea Posts: 562 Officer
    tileman wrote: »
    This trip was to target, mangos, yellows,and lanes! Sugar! Dang! Ya learn something new every day on FS thanks Bob

:fishing Got ya Frank , peppermint for Snappa LOL :grin
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,676 Moderator
    Luna Sea wrote: »
    :fishing Got ya Frank , peppermint for Snappa LOL :grin

OK Bob my friend, I am sure you meant Peppermint Schnapps and not in the chum.:thumbsup
    Ok I'm learning!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Looks like a fun evening guys! I've never had much luck using squid for mangos or yellowtail. They LOVE live shrimp and my second favorite bait for them is frozen sardines. Nonetheless it seems like you guys had a good time and are expanding your horizons... I've gotta start doing the night trips someday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RMD wrote: »
    Looks like a fun evening guys! I've never had much luck using squid for mangos or yellowtail. They LOVE live shrimp and my second favorite bait for them is frozen sardines. Nonetheless it seems like you guys had a good time and are expanding your horizons... I've gotta start doing the night trips someday.

Larry says the same, however did not bring any. Next time that could be the deal breaker though
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 394 Deckhand
    Sounds like a fun trip. I'm gonna need to do a night snapper trip outta Venice or Sarasota.
    I'll tell ya its different, heat not beat'n down at you, so it's cooler thats for sure and with the right lighting no problem. I'm going to do much more when ever I can in the evening hrs. Whole thing... that thing called a JOB always gets in the way, cause the next day I'm trashed, tired as hec, and then comes the cleaning of the fish and boat. have to tweek out a system for the night fish adventures. It sure is fun