Carolina Skiff DLV: Input Appreciated.

AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,054 Admiral
Helping my youngest pick out his first boat. First off, we are in the Big Bend area with lots of rocks and oyster bars . The 21 DLV holds a lot of weight, has higher sides, and has a decent V and has a shallow draft.Plus low maintenance and fuel eff. Anyone familiar with this boat? Seems perfect for our area.:driver:

Replies

• badfish43badfish43 Posts: 22 Greenhorn
    I had one, bought it new in 2011 kept it for 11 months. Without a doubt the wettest, roughest riding boat I've been on. I also had an issue with water getting in the hull under the floor, not a single screw had sealant on them. I also knew going in it would not ride like a deep vee, but I figured it couldn't be any worse than a Jon boat....WRONG !!
  • yellowdogyellowdog Posts: 150 Deckhand
    I have a 238DLV. Had it since 2008. Badfish is correct-they are wet, ride hard in rough water, and are known for water in the hulls. With that said, they are also great in shallow water, extremely stable, have great fuel efficiency, and are easy to maintain. The hatches will rattle in rough water and you will have to slow down. You do have to learn how to drive them in the rough stuff so you don't get beat up too bad. The water in the hull issue is mainly a dealer issue. Most dealers rig these boats and some don't use the sealant. No sealant=water in the hull. Most folks put a drain on the transom and open it from time to time to drain it.
    Keep in mind, this is not the most expensive boat out there so it won't have all the bells and whistles, but if you want an inshore boat that doesn't cost and arm and leg, they are great boats.
    On your rocks and oyster bars comment-no glass boat is gonna like those whether it costs $20K or $120K.
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,054 Admiral
    Thanks guys. Would like more info from 2014 owners with the redesign. yellowdog, thanks! but a cheap skiff hurts less than a high end bay boat, At least in this area.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,541 AG
    We have a a 97 17' standard CS. Well built boat, in chop you have to pull the throttle back.
    Ours Floats in ankle deep water and I have dove off it 9 miles offshore.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• bigh20bigh20 Posts: 251 Officer
    I didn't have a Carolina skiff but owned a Triumph skiff, it rode just like above wet and rough. But it could float in ankle deep water and was made of plastic which meant I could run it up on any sandbar without fear of scratching anything. Downside of plastic boat is they are kind of ugly, but it was an awesome inshore boat I used the snot out of before trading to an offshore.
  • HOOKED UPP!HOOKED UPP! Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I have a 2014, 218 DLV love the boat, but like everyone has said the ride in chop is ruff, learning the speed will help a lot... Water in inside I haven't had any problems. They did add more drains to help solve getting the water out and the sides are taller then the older and newer ones being built now.
    Great fishing boat and if I was to buy now it would be another one, just because it fits best for what want...
  • Natty lightNatty light Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I have a 25 and I like it ok. Can't say I love it because under some conditions(head sea) it is less than ideal. With that said no other boat will do everything that meets my requirements.
    My canal gets very skinny on low tide so the shallow draft is very important to me. I use it for crabbing, gigging, scalloping,cast netting,scuba diving, beach days, and river booze cruising. It's get run offshore up to 25 miles on diving trips on nice days. It gets 4 mpg loaded heavy and up to 5 mpg light.
    I don't know of any other boat that could fill its shoes, I just plan my trips according to the wind, offshore diving on calm days, backwater fishing when the wind is blowing.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 20,541 AG
    Crappy head seas I'll pull the throttle back trim the motor up to lift the bow and just ride it out making some headway.
    :BUNNY gestapo

• GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 311 Deckhand
    Have you thought of going aluminum? Sea Ark makes one heck of a boat for the price, they are perfect for big bend area. Shallow draft and built like a tank.