Leader and Hook suggestion for Gags and ARS

I'm headed down for vacation soon and have two 12 hour trips scheduled. I'm running 80 pound braid and an 80 pound top shot of pro spec. I'd like suggestions for the leader and hooks please. Are most people using a fluoro leader and if so what brand/color. Also would like to know if snelling the hooks is necessary. I will have multiple rods/reels with me, do I need to set them up with different leaders and size hooks for snapper and grouper? School me please. I have only been out once before for ARS and grouper and only caught a few small ones.

Replies

• CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,088 Captain
    Sounds like your main line is more than sufficient. I use 50 big game clear as my standard mono line normally. I generally use 60 or 80 lb leader. I try and go with the smallest I can get away with. I don't generally use flouro. I like 8/0 hooks. 7/0 too but some times they seem to small to me for some reason. You may be required to use circle hooks as well so check those rules. Some hooks are made to snell, others are not. If they are, snell them, if not, tie the hook that you are comfortable with. Depending on depth, you could use anywhere from a 3 oz egg sinker to a 6 or 8 oz. 12 hour I would think you would be around 100' maybe a little deeper. So 4 or 6 should be sufficient...

Good luck and tight lines.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • SteveW_VASteveW_VA Posts: 69 Deckhand
    Thanks for the advice. I was advised to use 80 pound braid and either 60 or 80 top shot by someone at Hubbard's. I went ahead and ordered an 800 yard spool of 80 pound test which will arrive any day. Will the mangos bite with a 7/0 or bigger hook? The goal is ARS and gags but I know there will be big mangrove snapper out there and I like the way they taste, would be nice to bring a few home.
  • Navy_FishingNavy_Fishing Posts: 816 Officer
    40 lb Yozuri Pink Floro, 50lb if you really can't get it out of your mind to go heavy. Anything more will reduce your bites. Size 6/0 circles will be more than enough. People tend to go way too heavy. Lighten up and catch more and bigger fish.
  • ptagptag Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    6 - 10 ft of 30 lb flouro paired with a 2 - 4 ot 1x strong mustad circle hook is going to be your best combo for getting mangrove snapper bites. If you are on a head boat you may require something heavier to contend with everyone elses rigs and fishing abilities. I have caught many 20lb grouper, mangroves up to 15lbs, and ars up to 20 lbs on 30lb leader.
  • XafXaf Posts: 1,041 Officer
    If you are using 80 lb braid I would use 20-25 feet of 40 or 50 lb mono top shot for snapper, 60 or 80 lb mono top shot for grouper, egg sinker (just enough to hold bottom) on main line to your swivel, then a 5' - 6' 30 or 40 lb flouro leader with 5/0 - 7-0 hook for snapper, 5' - 6' 60 or 80 lb flouro or plain mono leader with an 8/0 hook for grouper. (Above all listen to the mates, use what they recommend.)

I always use 30 lb pink Yozuri for snapper and a 7/0 hook. Some people will say that a 7/0 is to big for mangos but I have not had a problem using them.
  • OtownjoeOtownjoe Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    I am on the 12 hr trip this Sunday. I will be bringing three rods. I'll start fishing with a 60/60 setup with a single 8/0 hook with live pinfish for gags and ars.for snapper I'll use 40/40 with double 6/0 hooks snelled for sardines. I also bring a spinner with 50 #braid and a short 40# fluoro topshot for knocker rigs and flatlines. My grouper and snapper rods are all mono and all my leaders are fluoro. I use momoi line which breaks way above the rated strength. I bring fluoro leader in 25,30,40 60 80 and 100. I will adjust the leader size up or down on all the rods depending on conditions. Joe
    We usually target mangos with smaller leader as well. Long (15-20') of 20 lb flouro usually with a 1 or 2/0 hook or a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig with a 1/0 or 2/0 size hook. We have also landed some big gags on that set up but if there are rocks around, it is hard to turn them. But my experience is that the bite goes down significantly when you go bigger leader for mangos.
    so should I pair it down to a 60 pound top shot? My thinking was with my Fathom reels I can take advantage of the higher drag with 80 pound test all the way down to the bait. If I'm using a 50 pound leader, I can only turn the drag up to about 15-17 pounds right? Will I be able to dig a big grouper out of a hole with 50 pound test and less than 20 pounds of drag? Am i over thinking this?
    For grouper and ARS and most digging situations I use 50 lb mono to a sinker with a swivel in it so it doesn't slide and then I start with 60 lb leader material. If I start losing fish, I up it to 80 lb. But I have never had multiple lines tied together. To me that is more points of failure IMHO.

If I am targeting mangos, we have been using spinning gear with 15-20 lb braid main line to a long 20 lb flouro leader.
  • OtownjoeOtownjoe Posts: 56 Greenhorn
    A lot of it depends on personal preference. If you go to heavy and not get bit as much or go to light and break off more fish.if there are big grouper around I will go with the heaviest leader I have. Most people fish for grouper with the drags locked down tight to keep the fish from going back into the reef.
    I ended up buying 30 yard spools of yo-zuri pink in 40,50,60 and 80 pound test just in case.
    Pink is horrible...fish run from that stuff....

Just messing with you. Catch'm up....