Jon Boat Build

Rusty_HookRusty_Hook Posts: 3 Greenhorn
Fabricating my 14' jon boat for the lake behind the house and for hopping around some smaller bodies of water. I'm building a front casting deck that will span 7' (front of boat to back of first bench seat). I already have the frame work built, but am looking for something to use for the deck itself. I was originally going to use marine or pressure treated plywood, but the weight of the wood is more than what I'd like to add.

What else could I use in place of wood? I saw sheets of 1/2" PVC vinyl board at Home Depot for $75.00 a sheet, but that would be too flimsy. An old friend used Divinycell foam years ago when he did his boat, but I'm not sure where around the Tampa area I could find that. Looking for some input on what else I could use or should look into using.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• BacklashBacklash Posts: 880 Officer
    Divinycell is a great core material, meaning it's got to be laminated with glass/resin for use. It's not a stand alone, use it out of the box, material.
    Coosa board, or (Penske board -same construction) could be used as is. Coosa has fiberglass within the board, and is made of polyurethane.
    But, it would be ideal to lay glass over that as well.

Since it's a Jon, I'm thinking it's aluminum..yes? Why not get a sheet of aluminum at the appropriate thickness to supply rigidity, and go with that?
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,056 Officer
    Find some bleacher benches...
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    Use 1/2 inch exterior grade plywood and seal it with epoxy or a good varnish. Never use any pressure treated wood in an aluminum boat, the copper used in the treatment will destroy the aluminum. Plywood is not that heavy really. If you go with aluminum sheet metal then remember it gets hot as heck in the sun so you will need to put something on it like carpet or non-skid vinyl. I have a 1448 and decked mine with 1/2" ply and painted it, I added sand and made it non-skid. worked out great.

IMG_0966_zpsp4my1pj7.jpg

IMG_0178_zpsd3ab991f.jpg

I used way more sand than I needed to, lesson learned but, it turned out nice and I like it.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Austins26Austins26 Posts: 1,989 Captain
    TinBoats.com
    The Original HOTD poster
    680k views 360 plus posts Deleted by a so called Mod over a little cleavage

member since Oct 1998 long before most of You
  • SignaturestrikeSignaturestrike Posts: 457 Deckhand
    The fish silhouette on your skid is bada$$ surfman!! Nice touch
    Signature strike; Rod tip goes tip.......tip........tip..tip at that point get tight and man the battle stations!
  • Rusty_HookRusty_Hook Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    I really like the idea of doing a non-skid as opposed to carpet. What kind of paint did you use? I ended up getting 5/8-in sanded plywood, and was looking at using Amazing Goop Coat-it Epoxy as a sealant before laying carpet down.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    5/8 is more than you need and heavy but if that is what you got so be it. Be sure to coat both sides of the plywood with the epoxy, I hope the plywood you got was exterior grade, you don't want to use cabinet grade plywood, usually most people use roof sheeting which is commonly called CDX grade. C on one side D on the other side and X for exterior grade. It is basically a different glue used. After I sealed with epoxy I taped off where I did not want the sand and then put down another coat of epoxy and tossed the sand out over it. After the epoxy set I removed the tape and then I vacuumed off the loose sand then I painted it with a good quality enamel deck paint. Also I predrilled the screw holes for attaching the wood to the boat so that the drill holes would also get epoxy coated inside. Any exposed wood will begin to rot and the fungus will then spread through the wood.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.