Dania Beach Offshore Report 6.18.2016 - Gag Grouper and... a pod of Dolphins

Sup dudes. Launched from Dania pier at 4:00AM on a solo mission to catch gogs and try for a wahoo. I sat at the balls (mooring buoys) off John U Loyd park for about 30 minutes with two different sabikis and didn't see a gog or even a grunt. Not willing to risk getting skunked I headed back to Dania pier before it opens at 6AM (before people start yelling and throwing ****). My chum bag was pretty much pointless since all of the pilchards were balled up near the pier. I caught a dozen nice lively pilchards and a couple 3" goggle eye.

I should note that the parking meters at Dania Pier would not allow me to pay for parking at 4AM. They read "rate unavailable" So, I had to jump out of the kayak and pay for parking after I caught bait. Pain in the ****.

Without gogs or runners wahoo fishing was questionable. After trying live pichards + jigging from about 90-200' I gave up and went bottom fishing. I headed to a bottom spot off Dania. I hauled in a nice gag on the second drop of my mullet colored 230 gram "rudo" Jimy jig. Caught a few micro BFTs and took a couple home.

On the way back I ran into a pod of borderline clingy dolphins, "Clinger. Stage 5!". I had to leave them. Not the other way around. They seemed to want to follow me around all day. Paling around with a huge school of dolphins is not good for fishing! Good times. Still no wahoo.

Pic and video below. Disclaimer: video intro music is a bit over the top for a kayak fishing video, but it is royalty free!

Replies

• crackedconchcrackedconch Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Nice!!!:Rockon
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things!!

Pioneer 197 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF150
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Thanks for the report, Good Gag ! You seem to have a nack for catching them -- a nice one is still on my bucket list. I went out at nearly the same time off Pompano for gogs....it was slow, I think because of the full moon. I metered bait, but they were not biting -- dropped the sabiki through them multiple times and only got one gog :( It was a good thing that I had already preordered bait as a backup.

Funny how the wahoo are in and out. 110+ anglers fishing the Extreme Kayak Fishing Tournament, and no wahoo :( Plenty of other nice fish caught, but for many of us it was big Bonito City :(

I don't like to pay $2/hr to park, and the 6am openning.....I guess that is why I don't fish Dania much. It would be OK if one bought an annual pass($48), but without a Dania residency, that does not appear to be an option.

Dolphin surely dampen the bite, but atleast you got some good video of them.
  • bugdocbugdoc Posts: 421 Officer
    Great video. I don't mind missing some fishing for nice dolphin encounters like that.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    some great footage you got there bro!
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • krhyde1066krhyde1066 Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    Another great Grouper DOK! I always get confused between Juvenile Gags and Blacks! How did you know it's a Gag, there's a lot more Blacks in your area, than Gags? I've fished in the Gulf a lot, and they're all Gags there.
    Sincerely Karl