Help troubleshooting... First time boat trailer hook up, lights not working...

CharcoalToddCharcoalTodd Posts: 93 Deckhand
Any tips on how to troubleshoot boat trailer connections? I connected a properly working boat trailer to my truck which I've never towed anything previously and the brake/turn signal/etc are not working. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,982 AG
    Undo clean the grounds and reattach. For starters.
    :BUNNY gestapo

ground should be a white wire. (I still don't understand that)
    Clean the connection that is near the tail light 1st
    Then the ground connection to the tow vehicle.

how-to-fix-trailer-wiring.jpg

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,261 Officer
    IMO the first thing to do is test the plug at the truck. Connect your meter or test light to the white and brown and turn on the headlights. White and green are right turn signals. White and yellow are left turn signals. White and green or yellow are brake lights. After that connect a battery or charger to the trailer and check for lights. As gandrfab said the grounds are one of the main problems with trailer lights, connect a jumper cable from any clean metal on the truck to the same on the trailer. Bulbs and sockets are another problem area if they're in water at anytime. Sometimes it's easier to start over, with a new set of lights and wiring, than to fix yours. LEDs are your friend.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,261 Officer
    I re-read your post and had another thought. The newer trucks have a separate fuse panel/box for trailers with separate fuses.