Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cast net for pogies

Any recommendations for a cast net for pogies?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• BluewaterfeverBluewaterfever Posts: 448 Deckhand
    Ted Lund cast nets, custom made for what you want.
    You will have to do a search... He is in Melbourne I think.
    Dumb Fish Die First
  • jbsrqjbsrq Posts: 230 Deckhand
    Either that or Tim Wade, also in Melbourne. Just got a 12' 5/8 mesh with almost 2lbs per foot made for a very reasonable price.
  • cflcyclepartscflcycleparts Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Tim wade out of melbourne, you can buy them at Handlers, love mine. It's a 9 ft. Works great, opens easy, and sinks well.
    Grady White Marlin 30' - "The Other Woman"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Central Florida Cycle Parts
    cflcycleparts.com
    Your source for quality used motorcycle parts.
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    All the above mentioned nets are great, no doubt.
    However, if you want to save a few $$$ you can consider this one...
    I have been using mine since 2011 with zero issues.

Lee Fisher Bait Buster Cast net 10' 1/2"
    I paid $110 including shipping and it came with a bucket.
    They seem to go for $170 regularly, but I got mine on eBay!
  • Fly HookerFly Hooker Posts: 4,199 Captain
    Tim Wade is the only way to go! You can get a custom net for less that purchase a regular net.

http://blackdogbait.com/shop/tim-wade-cast-net/
    Really?
    The 10' 1/2" is listed at $180.
    Like I said, they are GREAT nets, no doubt.
    But you can surely find a quality net cheaper like I did.
    The issue you run in to with a cheaper net (I have had many types) is the weight per foot. For deeper bait or surface bait in deeper water you want something with a good size mesh, 1/2 or 5/8's, and a lot of weight per foot. Baitbuster's are 1.5lbs per foot which is good if you have a big mesh it will sink pretty fast. Some people want heavier. I use a Calusa 10' 3/8s mesh at 1.5lbs per foot for shallower small baits and a Tim Wade 12' 5/8s mesh just under 2lbs per foot for deeper water big baits.
  • catchme1catchme1 Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Tim Wade nets are very good think about getting a net you can handle. 8,10,12 great but a six may do well for the average recreational fisherman they will be easier to throw.
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    ^^^ I use a 6' Walmart net... I'm usually throwing in a small canal or somewhere filled with rocks so I can't justify spending a lot on a net that gets abused. When the pogies are thick it still fills the well in 1 throw.

I can see where a nice 12' net would come in handy offshore though. Sometimes I feel like I'm throwing a hair net into a swimming pool.
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    A 12 footer with 2 lbs per foot?!? Makes my back hurt just thinking about that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    8 foot wade has served me well for the last couple years. Bigger mesh will sink faster and get pogies when they are running deep.
    C Dog wrote: »

Yeah only a few dude's will be able to handle this...
    Almost everyone that has come fishing with me has a really hard time throwing my 10' 1.5lbs -- they are used to the 6' nets it seems.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,461 Moderator
    I've owned a gaggle of Tim Wade nets and a few others that are more commercially available. None compare to the Wade nets in my opinion. I throw a 12 foot / 20 lbr for pogies when they're tough or in deep water. I forget the mesh size but it's bigger than what most use (3/4" or 1" or 1.25" maybe?). I'll step down to a 10 footer if they're really thick. I've got a 14 foot / 16 or 18 lb net with smaller mesh I use specifically for greenies. It sinks slower but seems to work better than the pogie nets and won't gill the baits. I also find it easier to throw than the 12 foot pogie net.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
    C Dog wrote: »

Not a net you want to be throwing all day but when the bait is deep and running the extra weight really helps.
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    Yeah I'm looking specifically for a net for pogies off cocoa/ canaveral. I have a calusa 10' 3/8" 1.5 lb/ft. But I don't think it will sink fast enough for pogies in deeper water. Seems like bigger mesh size like 1" or 1 1/4" doesn't require as much weight. I'll give Tim wade a call.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    He will take everything in to consideration and make you exactly what you need.
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    Large mesh can also load your net with gilled baits that will die fast. If you can throw the weight, go with 1" or smaller mesh.