Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

How's the river system looking? It's been a long, long while

I've been traveling, performing family duties as Dad, and - when I get to go - fishing nearly exclusively freshwater.

I used to fish the Banana and Sebastian Rivers almost every week. Then the algae bloom/fish kill happened and I just decided to leave it be for a while.

Are things anywhere close to 'normal' now? Is it fishable? North or South looking better/worse?

And before you get antsy, I have my own fishing spots, so I'm not looking for yours. Just want to know from those who are fishing the river what it's looking like.

Thanks for any info,
Matt

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Today, it looked like that greenish "wet concrete" here in Sebastian.... There is nice clean water near the inlet on the last of the incoming but when the tide starts out...the tannin water from the St. Sebastian makes it look aweful.

Went off the beach where the water....looks like water. :wink

20160616_082322_zps3hujnpun.jpg
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • beachside321beachside321 Posts: 371 Deckhand
    Water looks pretty good around Pineda in both rivers, we fished the banana river a couple of weeks ago and it sucked. With all the bait around it might better... But the flats just looked dead as hell, no real seagrass and only saw 2 rat reds after 4-5 hours on the push pole.

I've been doing ok on snook around some docks in the Indian River. Other than that, we usually trailer to Wabasso where we've had consistent success.
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    Thanks, gents.
    I'm boatless, so off beach isn't an option for me (I know people launch yaks from the beach, but I'm unsure I can pull that off without doing serious injury to myself) and if the river is still meh, maybe I'll just ditch saltwater this summer and go all freshwater.
    So I'll be risking gator attack..so what? What's the worst that can happen...
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    We got gators in the Banana too, big ones. Be cautious any where first or last light.
    Don't forget about beach snookin. It's been pretty good lately in the trough in the evenings, and should only get better as the summer goes on.
  • knotsknots Posts: 46 Deckhand
    You catch snook surf casting,,, what can i try to catch them with.. thanks
    ^^^ live mullet or croakers work great. Plugs can work well too. Leave the 14' surf rod at home, these fish hang right along the shoreline. When throwing a plug cast more along the shoreline instead of straight out.
    Thanks, gents.
    I'm boatless, so off beach isn't an option for me (I know people launch yaks from the beach, but I'm unsure I can pull that off without doing serious injury to myself) and if the river is still meh, maybe I'll just ditch saltwater this summer and go all freshwater.
    So I'll be risking gator attack..so what? What's the worst that can happen...

Don't be afraid to take the yak off the beach. Wear a lifejacket, practice your launch and recovery without any gear so when you flip a few times as you learn you don't lose anything. Strap everything down on launch/recovery. Pick your days, I usually only go when it's flat calm or when I can visually see bait being busted on. The beach is usually flat calm in the summer, and having a 100# tarpon tow you around for 45mins will have you back at it every chance you get.