New to Miami, looking to fish!

sjwebb15sjwebb15 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
Hi All. I am new to both this forum and South Florida and looking to start fishing! I have done some inshore kayak fishing in Wilmington, NC and quite a bit of offshore (30-50 miles), not kayak fishing, also from Wilmington. I am pretty excited to find out there is such an active kayak fishing community in the area. That said, I have a few questions.
  1. Is there anyone fishing from the Miami area? I am in Coral Gables and would like to get my feet wet down here, before trekking further north.
  2. If anyone DOES fish out of this area, what are some good places to check out? Species found? I didn't see too much about fishing Biscayne Bay in the forums.
  3. I have a Wilderness Systems 14.5', sit-inside ocean kayak. I have the spray skirt, a rod holder, paddle holder and a comfortable pfd. Does anyone else use a sit-inside? Have any tips for setup or additional equipment?
Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies

• Android77Android77 Posts: 488 Deckhand
    No body I know uses at sit inside, but I almost always fish offshore where the seas can kick up to 3 to 5 real quick. Morningside Park has some trout in the grass flats and if you look on google earth you can find more grass flats in the bay that should hold trout. A gulp shrimp on a Cajun thunder cork and a jig head works well. Most of the offshore fishing is Ft Lauderdale north because of parking and deep water is closer. Flamingo and Everglades City are great places for inshore it's just a bit of a drive.
  • timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 851 Officer
    Like Andy said above. Flamingo and Everglades City/Chokoloskee are a true Florida treat when the conditions are right. I would suggest a guide for the first time out.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • sjwebb15sjwebb15 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the info guys. I know sit-inside kayaks are not ideal for fishing, but that is what I have (for now :)). Fishing was not the primary purpose when I bought it, but given where I am now, fishing is likely what will become its primary purpose. I will look into new boats once I get my feet wet fishing the area.

Does anyone fish IN Biscayne bay? I am not opposed to going further afield, but since I will likely be doing this alone given my newness to the area, I was hoping to stay closer to home for the first few outings. Also, are there any other species besides trout to target in the grass flats? or to target in shallow water in general? Are there any near-shore wrecks or reefs in the area?
  • krashkrash Posts: 649 Officer
    I know a guy, Perch (David), hes got an older sit-inside he's fished B-Bay from for years and catches more fish than most others do. Its not the kayak that catches fish it's the angler. He does not have a spray skirt, but can stand and sight cast or pole that kayak, have not seen him fishing lately he kind of got interested in surfing and paddle boards...

If you are in Coral Gables and dont; want to go far there are places to launch at Matheson Hammock and also you could go to Rickenbacker or the Crandon Marina to launch and get you first taste. Fishing in general in S. B-Bay has really gone down hill in the past 5 years, but there are plenty of small cuda's, jacks, and various snappers prowling the flats if you just want to paddle and bend a rod.
    I'd be casting hard baits, spook for top-water, Mirodine for sun surface, Catch 2000's, and bucktail jigs. If you use soft plastic the cudas will destroy your bait on about every cast and drive you crazy.
    N-Biscayne Bay is a little more od a drive but still does have plenty of good fishing for Trout and an occasional Snook, plus the usual suspects, cuda, jacks, various snapper, grunts, pinfish, lizzard fish and a multitude of other stuff. Search for some older RDS/bugdoc post he has a link to a pretty good list of places to launch a kayak withing the 3 counties.
    The best inshore fishing is Flamingo, Choko, Indian River up around Ft. Pierce & Vero.
    Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,333 Moderator
    sjwebb15 wrote: »
    Does anyone fish IN Biscayne bay? I am not opposed to going further afield, but since I will likely be doing this alone given my newness to the area, I was hoping to stay closer to home for the first few outings. Also, are there any other species besides trout to target in the grass flats? or to target in shallow water in general? Are there any near-shore wrecks or reefs in the area?

A good place to get your feet wet (no pun intended) is Hobie Beach. Drive from Coral Gables like you're going to Key Biscayne, but as soon as you pass through the toll booth, look out for a park on the right. The parking is free, opens at sunrise, the spot is sheltered from north and west winds, the grassflats hold trout and cudas (and a million pinfish) and even if the fish aren't biting you can enjoy the paddle and view of Vizcaya Museum.

I'm not going to lie though, that spot is overfished like anywhere close to shore in Miami.

If you want to venture up the 95 a bit, take in the [also free] Morningside Park as Android77 suggested. The fishing is hit or miss, but time it with a tide change and some nice trout can be had. I've also caught mangrove snappers there and in the winter bluefish sometimes appear.

As for nearshore reefs or wrecks in the area, I don't really know any. I think I remember fishing one off of southbeach one time, but the parking was expensive and the lifeguards did not want us there, so good luck :-/
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • sjwebb15sjwebb15 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the tips krash and jcrancer. Hopefully I will be able to get out there this weekend!
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    All biscayne bay flat on a negative tide you can do good if you look for deep pockets.live shrimp is candy . You can also hit the bridges for snook n tarpon. That being said there a kayak tournament on saturday called ekft going on in pompano.when you have a kayak for offshore lmk
    Hobie outback