fly line question

Mikedebi27Mikedebi27 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
I'm brand new to fly fishing and im confused about line, leader and tippet. I'm going to be fly fishing for redfish in the Tampa bay area so whats the right line, leader and also what are some good fly's. thanks.

Replies

• hooknsnookhooknsnook Posts: 63 Greenhorn
    for reds all you will need is a floating weight forward line.. my current favorite is rio out bound short..use the size rated for the rod you have.. I fish a 6wt 90% of the time.. for leader I make my own by using about 5ft of 30lb flouro dropping down to 5ft of 20lb
    as far as flies... clousers,gurglers,sliders and kwans will get the job done
  • Tom ConigliaroTom Conigliaro Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    You received very good advice from hooknsnook.i might add that you might benefit by doing a U tube searchfor "beginning fly fishing"...to get some more info and background.Good luck...fly fishing is a life long passion:)
  • Mikedebi27Mikedebi27 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    thanks guy
  • Red-ManRed-Man Posts: 331 Deckhand
    There are a lot of good lines on the market. As hooknsnook said, Rio is pretty good. There is also Wulff, Cortland, Airflo, etc. It's mostly personal preference. For most inshore fishing, I like to use a weight forward floating 8wt. Leaders can vary in size and length depending on your targeted species, water clarity, and the wariness of the fish. On average I use a 12 ft. leader. You can purchase pre made leaders or construct your own.

Mine consist of 4 different pieces, although some people like to keep it simple and only use 2 or 3 pieces. Generally I start with the butt section (6 ft. of 40lb), then the mid section (3 ft. of 30lb), then the class tippet (1.5ft. of 16lb). At the very end I add a shock leader for abrasion resistence. It doesn't take much for trout or reds as they won't do as much damage to it. For snook I like to use 30lb. fluorocarbon.

As far as flies are concerned, "match the hatch" is the general rule of thumb. This time of year, bait fish are usually plentiful, so use a fly equivalent. Something that resembles a pinfish or whitebait will do well. During the winter months when the flats are void of bait, switch to shrimp or crab patterns.

These are just my preferences and opinions. What works for me might not be the next guy's cup of tea. There are a lot of experienced "fly guys" on this forum with their own tips and tactics, so take it all in. And as always, Google and/or YouTube has a lot of good info. Good luck.
  • OutdoorAddictOutdoorAddict Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Sorry for the late reply. For a beginner check out the Orvis Website, they have one of the best instructors I have ever scene explain the how to develop a good cast. I used to build 4 part leaders, but I now keep it simple, 8wt 6' of 30lb, 4-5 20' fluorocarbon or mono followed by short shock tippet if necessary. Welcome to the Addiction.
  • dwd5813dwd5813 Posts: 45 Deckhand
    What rod are you using? To some extent I feel like that will determine the right line, although trial and error is probably the only real way to figure it out which can get expensive. Generally I agree that a weight forward floating line rated to match the rod, I.e. 8 weight line for a rod made for 8 weight lines, is a good start. Bear in mind though that not all wff lines are equal. The 8 weight outbound short for example is heavier in the first 30 feet than say the 8 weight bonefish line. I have aredington voyant 8 weight rod that throws the bonefish line beautifully but the outbound short just feels like too much to me with that rod. In the beginning, I think it would make sense to find a line that is as true to it's weight rating as possible and go from there.

Regarding leaders for the 8 weight I generally start with 6-8 feet of 40lb followed by 2 feet of 16lb and a 1 foot shock of 20, 25, or 30. Blood knots hold up well for me. There's nothing wrong with buying pre made leaders either. Takes some work out of the equation. I kinda like making them though. Just another part of the obsession. Same goes for flies. Good advice given above. All in all, this is a great hobby that can develop into a passion and run as deep as you like. Whatever you do, have fun with it above all else. Enjoy, and welcome to the ride!
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    I'm a fan of the Airflo lines.

As others have posted, not all lines and rods pair the same way. You may have to experiment to find what works best for you.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod