Using iPad only for Nav and Sonar

firstpriorityfirstpriority Posts: 14 Greenhorn
Any thoughts on, or is anyone out there already, using an ipad with navionics and a sonar wifi device as their main system?

Just purchased a PF 2200 and was thinking of this to use as my nav and sonar unit.

Replies

• mikenavmikenav Posts: 649 Officer
    I have a Vexilar unit and use it in conjunction with my Navionicd app on the ipad and my Samsung Galaxy S5. I love it. I like the fact i can create my own maps as I'm fishing or boating or jet skiing (i put the Vexilar transducer in the ski). Never had an issue with location, position or depth, plus i get 1-foot contours.
  • firstpriorityfirstpriority Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thanks Mike. Question...I was looking at the ray marine wifish. Mainly because of the detail. It also has better depth reading. Any thoughts or objections?

One more.. I don't need data on the iPad just a 3G pad because of the gps built in, is that correct?
    I am a HUGE fan of Raymarine plotters. The WiFish just enhances everything you can do on them. I have an a67 on my boat and i love the touch screen and intuitive nature of the controls. Raymarine also just came out with an update that makes it crazy compatible with Navionics+ and Platinum+ chips. Dock to dock autorouting, Sonar Charts Live and a whole lot more.

You are correct with the ipad. You don't need a data plan or to within cell service, etc. Because the internal GPS will work regardless of where you are.

Let me know if you need any more help with picking a plotter or what you can do with it.

Have fun!
    I just got a great deal on a brand new dragonfly 4 pro so I pulled the trigger and I'm moving forward with it.
    I've got another question for you Mike. I'm considering a mount and a mounting orientation for the iPad. I like the portrait view for the gps but how would it look with the DV sonar and chirp on at the same time?

Also if I go landscape can I split the screen gps left and sonar right do I have options based on orientation?

Thank you for your insight. You are a valuable source on this forum.
    I think landscape is going to be your best bet because the iPads tend to light up more in that position than in the portrait view. That's been my experience, at least. Also, if you go landscape you should be able to divide your screen to do just what you are talking about. Here's a link to the Navionics website that talks about Sonar Charts Live and the different ways to use it. There is a shot of an iPad divided into 3 sections, which I think is exactly what you're talking about. http://www.navionics.com/en/sonarchart-live

Thanks for the questions. Give me more!