Ft Walton, Destin fly fishing advice needed

4PopCropp4PopCropp Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I'm heading to the Ft Walton beach area Saturday. I've read some pretty informative discussions on here about Choctawhatchee Bay, Mid Bay Bridge and some other places. My main questions are:

1) If attempting to fish the surf, how far out do you have to wade? (not excited about sharing the water with sharks)

2) Will I be better off sticking to the bay for speckled trout or Reds?

3) Will my 9 ft, 6 weight rod be decent enough to fish the surf? Could run 7 weight line if need be.

Replies

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    Pensacola has a fishing forum you might want to check out.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    You can fish and be successful from the beaches here without getting your feet wet.

Definitely stick to the bay for trout but reds will cruise the beaches in the early morning and evenings.

There are a ton and I mean a ton of ladyfish, hardtails, bluefish, and jacks cruising the beach. They are of varying size. I use my 9 wt because you never know what's gonna come cruising down the beach. Most if not all beach reds are gonna be over slot.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • 4PopCropp4PopCropp Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot with my 6 wt. I have a freshwater reel, so I might be in over my head if any streakers hit my fly and run. Not sure I understand what you meant about this:

Red Fish wrote: »
    Most if not all beach reds are gonna be over slot.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Posts: 8,033 Admiral
    4PopCropp wrote: »
    Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot with my 6 wt. I have a freshwater reel, so I might be in over my head if any streakers hit my fly and run. Not sure I understand what you meant about this:

What he means is they are big bull reds that run the bar. Some in the 40+ range.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

• Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    4PopCropp wrote: »
    Not sure I understand what you meant about this:

The slot on reds is between 18-27". There gonna be quite a bit over 27". For slot fish, hit the bay.

Pics are of average sized reds lately.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • redneck_billcollectorredneck_billcollector Posts: 87 Deckhand
    I fish the surf just east of there all the time. I catch redfish, pompano, jacks, bluefish, assorted small fish and ladyfish....by far ladyfish are a sure thing pretty much as long as you want to catch them. They are fun on an 8wt, 9wt and 7wt, I imagine they would be a blast on a 6wt. Tarpon have been in the surf lately here and there. I will be down this weekend east of there. I do not know how the weather is going to be just saw where another tropical system might be heading that way. If you have access to a kayak fish some of the dune lakes in Walton Co. you can catch trout, redfish, largemouth bass to name just a few of the fish and a 6wt. would be ideal for most of the situation in those lakes. Over PCB way there are numerous wade in access areas on the bay system that lead to grass flats with trout and reds just waiting for a clouser....Talk to Sky at Orvis in Sandestin or Jim and or Brian at Old Florida Outfitters in Watercolor, they normally are up to date on what is biting, where and the fly to grab their fancy.....good luck.