Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

5 pounder On Lunch Break

Took my rod to work and went fishing on my lunch break at a canal near my job. Really, just to get more practice with the baitcaster. Throwing a white and chartreuse spinnerbait, got this big lunker as I retrieved along the surface. Jumped about 4 or 5 times! Great fight on 10 lb. mono!
2010d9c5e5a1894da953e5b6d7c0f8ac.jpg
338e43e8fb34736ef21ed21c0336595d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Replies

• JohnathanJohnathan Posts: 14 Greenhorn
  • tagtag Posts: 9,414 Admiral
  • ebgatorebgator Posts: 46 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. It was a very nice fish.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,549 Captain
    Well done man, I'll buy lunch next time I'm in town.
  • The VilleThe Ville Posts: 457 Deckhand
    That's better than a BigMac! Congrats!
    It's not my job to provide your education look it up yourself!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,771 Moderator
    Middle of the day and the big ones play . Nice fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,647 Captain
    Way to go.

I catch a lot of fish at lunch time. I have 3 rods prerigged with a frog, senko and a rattle trap.

There are tons of bass in all the canals we drive by all the time.
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
    gator4ever wrote: »
    Way to go.

I catch a lot of fish at lunch time. I have 3 rods prerigged with a frog, senko and a rattle trap.

There are tons of bass in all the canals we drive by all the time.

HOW DO YOU KEEP THE RAT-L-TRAP OUT OF THE HYDRILLA? I WANNA THROW ONE AROUND THE HOUSE BUT I FIND MYSELF TAKING HYDRILLA OFF OF THE HOOKS ALMOST EVERY CAST. ALSO, WHICH FROG DO YOU GUYS LIKE? I'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO STOCKING UP ON A FEW.

THANKS
    I am all in on the zoom Toads. The colors I like are black, white,June bug, and any of the dark greens. I find my first choice is the black or white mainly because they're the toughest and they stand up to catching multiple fish. As to hooks,lately I've been using light wire 4/0 hooks. For years I wouldn't use anything but Owner Hooks. Lately I found some of the cheaper hooks from Bass Pro Shops are just effective. The light wire hooks give better penetration, you just can't throw them as far.

The issue with weeds is why I like the Toads much. The 4/0 hook nests snug it's back and you can be pretty fearless about throwing it into cover.
    Rollin wrote: »
    I am all in on the zoom Toads. The colors I like are black, white,June bug, and any of the dark greens. I find my first choice is the black or white mainly because they're the toughest and they stand up to catching multiple fish. As to hooks,lately I've been using light wire 4/0 hooks. For years I wouldn't use anything but Owner Hooks. Lately I found some of the cheaper hooks from Bass Pro Shops are just effective. The light wire hooks give better penetration, you just can't throw them as far.

The issue with weeds is why I like the Toads much. The 4/0 hook nests snug it's back and you can be pretty fearless about throwing it into cover.

SINKER OR NO SINKER? I'VE BEEN READING THAT WITH THOSE ZOOM TOADS, IT IS BETTER TO THROW THEM WEIGHTLESS. HOW DO YOU FEEL?
    ebgator wrote: »
    SINKER OR NO SINKER? I'VE BEEN READING THAT WITH THOSE ZOOM TOADS, IT IS BETTER TO THROW THEM WEIGHTLESS. HOW DO YOU FEEL?

No sinker for me. If I want to adjust the weight I will use a different kind of hook. If I'm on big open water I might move up to an Owner5/0 heavy hook. It makes quite a bit of difference in distance and sink rate. Something you might want to do is rig up the different weight/size hooks and just drop them dead stick in deeper water to see how they circle as the fall and also the speed of the fall. This is a pretty deadly technique.
    When I'm dead sticking them, I also sometimes will just let them rest on the bottom and wait for the line to start moving. I sometimes also will just hop it or jiggle it after its sat for a minute or two.

The last technique is to, tie on a light 4/0 hook and work it slow across the heavy grass or slop. Occasionally stop it on heavy cover or the edge of a Lilly pad and vibrate your hand. When done correctly the Toad, will stay in one place and move up and down. Kind of like beating lightly on a drum. Deadly !!!!
    AWESOME, MAN, THANKS!!
    ebgator wrote: »
    HOW DO YOU KEEP THE RAT-L-TRAP OUT OF THE HYDRILLA? I WANNA THROW ONE AROUND THE HOUSE BUT I FIND MYSELF TAKING HYDRILLA OFF OF THE HOOKS ALMOST EVERY CAST. ALSO, WHICH FROG DO YOU GUYS LIKE? I'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO STOCKING UP ON A FEW.

THANKS

Try your best to cast around it. If it is too thick I frog em or use a spinnerbait.
    One more thing:

Everyone is on pitching flipping kick. I fish with a friend on his boat. I soon figured out that he was going to pitch and have the best targets.

So what I do is with either a senko or a craw texas rigged. I cast as far as I can and work the baits over the mats and pads letting it drop as I go over holes. Deadly the fish are far away so a heavy rod heavy 50lb braid and a fast reel to take up the slack is a most. If it is realy windy I have to use a little sinker maybe 1/8 but I also prefer to use no sinker.