Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankee Capts Mutton Massacre oct 21-23

2»

Replies

• TipboneTipbone Posts: 191 Deckhand
    Thanks for the Reply guys! if I have some left over, I will bring them, but I won't break a sweat stockpiling them either.
  • guitarmanguitarman Posts: 269 Deckhand
    I have never bought a gog in my life and whack as many as anybody. I usually bring fresh pinfish and spanish macks that I get ahead of time. Once again PRESENTATION!!!!!!!
  • ReelaxReelax Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    On your first trip, do what I did...I used the bait onboard that the Yankee Capt's supplied. I found out over the years that on virgin grounds, everybody out there usually catches some good fish. They supply you with frozen squid & ballyhoo. If you like, try to catch a few pinfish & put them on ice b4 you go. I did well one year with them. I found out no matter what you try, you'll do well out there. You can't possibly stock everything. Enjoy yourself...You'll catch fish! :p
  • FlagtailsFlagtails MiamiPosts: 586 Officer
    Tipbone wrote: »
    Great Job Guys!! I am gearing up for my 1st trip to the Tortugas next week with Fishquest Charters. I have been reading about the bait debate (get it). I fish in-shore a lot and net a ton of large mullet. I usually toss back what I do not use. Are large Mullet worthy of keeping and using in the Tortugas? We are going down the day before and are planning on fishing for Pinfish and what not to take out with us.

I also want to give a shout out to Flagtails for all the advice and info!:fishing

Thank you.

You are going to have a great experience. Try to book a trip on the Yankee Capts. You will learn a lot from the other anglers and the crew. It is a first class operation.

Juan
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 461 Deckhand
    :Reelax,
    I wanted to comment you on the whole boat bait thing,no offense but how many tortugas trips do u have under your belt with good experiences on boat bait?Because I have 9 under my belt and i consider myself a novice,but i have never really expierienced a trip where someone did really good or compared to someone with fresh and various other baits!!!I wanna say that 90% of the customers on the Yankee Capts bring their own baits because of freshness,variety and effectiveness.Im not trying to say that the boat bait provided is no good but the majority of the time its chunks of squid and ballyhoo normally never whole.I would probably only use this for chicken rigging,or flatlining for yellowtails,which i almost never do that type of fishing,''THATS ME. TO EACHES OWN''.I believe if your gonna come down to the tortugas and travel X amount of miles to chicken rig or yellowtail you can do that in a hundred other places and it wont cost you $500.To me the main preparation for these trips is getting your bait,second is tackle
  • LitiGATORLitiGATOR Posts: 819 Officer
    Great trip, I heard about it and wished I was there. Jarbas, Bobby, Art are all good fisherman and great people.

Gogs are a good "staple" bait, but not necessary, and not even the best in my opinion. Fresh bait is the key. You can use ballyhoo, pinfish, runners, mackerel, etc. If it's fresh and fished properly, it will work. Not to mention the myriad species you can catch out on the boat and save for bait. Don't break the bank getting gogs if you don't have to.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,707 Captain
    Gogs are great bait, but highly overated, and extremely overpriced. Amen Greg.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• fishfanatticfishfanattic Posts: 90 Deckhand
    coming down for the limited load Dec. 2nd, Im gonna need the weather gods to cooperate, really look forward to this trip every year. My 4th year fishing this boat and I learn a bunch everytime im on the boat.
  • HooganHoogan Posts: 547 Officer
    LitiGATOR wrote: »
    Gogs are a good "staple" bait, but not necessary, and not even the best in my opinion. Fresh bait is the key. You can use ballyhoo, pinfish, runners, mackerel, etc. If it's fresh and fished properly, it will work. Not to mention the myriad species you can catch out on the boat and save for bait. Don't break the bank getting gogs if you don't have to.

At times some baits seems to be more effective than others, and that can change from trip to trip.I think most frequent goers will agree on this to a degree.
    Last year I caught five Muttons over 15 pounds (including a 21.5 pounder) back to back on a single flying fish which I cut into 1-inch chunks. I've seen on several ocassions Muttons go crazy over butterflied pinfish and other time not seem interested in them, and so on with different bait types. Kingfish has proved highly effective in Dry Tortugas the past two years or so. Ballyhoo seems to work better out of Halouver Inlet than goggleyes (Anthony-bite my bait chime on this?)
    Flying fish, speedo, kingfish, gogs, macks, thread hearing, Almaco jack, runners... presentation-presentation.
    Personally most Muttons from DT that I have dissected to examine their stomach content had mostly crustaceans in their stomacks - small crabs, manta shrimps, etc.
    I have also found small eels and quite a few of them had Squirrel fish in their stomachs! (read one of Greg's post above re. Squirrel fish)

Growth rate for Muttons - I spoke to the FWC research officer (not LEO but the fellow that goes to various head boats taking samples) according to him: Muttons grow reasonably fast at a rate of approx. 1lb. per year for the first 10 years and growth slows down considerably past 10 lbs./years.

P.S. - I forgot to mention one of Capt. Matt's favorite Mutton morsel - a fillet of fresh Lane Snapper! Highly effective bait in his hands!!!
  • danmanswagdanmanswag Posts: 515 Officer
    gogs are not overrated....the muttons will eat pretty much anything as long as you have it presented correctly and you fish correctly....i do find that gogs get a higher HIT:CATCH ratio....but at the end of the day, its presentation and fishing correctly
  • swinsond1971swinsond1971 Posts: 183 Officer
    What's the best bait for the Sharpnose Sharks ? I was amazed how in touch my buddy was last trip with these prize predators, yet he wouldn't reveal the secret bait.
    danmanswag wrote: »
    gogs are not overrated....the muttons will eat pretty much anything as long as you have it presented correctly and you fish correctly....i do find that gogs get a higher HIT:CATCH ratio....but at the end of the day, its presentation and fishing correctly

this is my opinion, people have so many different things to say about this topic...doest mean *****, just my personal experience
  • SnaphappySnaphappy Posts: 1,427 Officer
    What's the best bait for the Sharpnose Sharks ? I was amazed how in touch my buddy was last trip with these prize predators, yet he wouldn't reveal the secret bait.

Haha I seem to have these dialed in as well.
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 461 Deckhand
    Art
    Yes mutton fishing with ballyhoo here in haulover is probably the best way to go.I mean it's cheap and always available so it doesn't let you down.But getting to the point, I went out yesterday to hunt for muttons I dropped down a flying fish wich is my favorite bait in the DT,they didn't even look at it. I drop down a ballyhoo and it gets hammered. I guess all I'm trying to say is that different locations take different presentation and bait, the more time you have in the water in specific areas te more productive you will be.
  • swinsond1971swinsond1971 Posts: 183 Officer
    I did catch one of the biggest sharpnose sharks ever on a fresh gog. Do you think flying fish would work for them too ?
  • LitiGATORLitiGATOR Posts: 819 Officer
    Apparently sharpnose sharks love all the baits we use for muttons!
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    When they get thick, switch to squid, octopus, or even crab. Stay away from oily and bloody baitfish. You will have a higher chance of catching pinky to shark ratio. That's just a suggestion, take it or leave it.
    When they get thick, switch to squid, octopus, or even crab. Stay away from oily and bloody baitfish. You will have a higher chance of catching pinky to shark ratio. That's just a suggestion, take it or leave it.

sooooooooooooo if we are trying to catch sharkys, then we should stick with goggle eyes?
  • jose78jose78 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Nice job:banana
  • jose78jose78 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Nice job wish i was there :banana:stinkfish
  • snappersnatchersnappersnatcher Posts: 134 Officer
    NNNOOOOO mullet!!!!! I used some on this trip, on the wide open bite and not even a grunt. Good luck