Yankee Capts Mutton Massacre oct 21-23

OK so my journey started on friday morning at 8:45 am leaving my hometown miami,got to the racetrack gas station in florida city at 9:30 to fill up and eat some breakfast:hungry.Now on the quest for bait,all i had was an 8lb kingfish that i had caught about 8 days prior,my buddies adell,willy, and cleon had told me the the hot bait had been kingfish since the beginning of the season so atleast i had that bait secure,so my next stop was key largo fisheries o load up on ice and some fresh ballyhoos.Next stop would be to get speedeos from one of my bait contacts,after getting 2 dozen fresh speedos,i was on the was on the way the no name,i was surprised not to see anyone on my trip there catching bait normally there is! anyways,i get there at 1:15,put the chum bag out and the water turned black with pinfish and blue runners,loaded up on them and a few ballyhoos,i was out of there by 2:45pm with a cooler full of bait.I get to the white horse/yankee capts at 3:30pm and to my surprise Jarbas aka Mutton slayer had just gotten there and was unloading all his arsenal,I introduced myself to the new mates and started to unload the weapons as well,and made myself at home.Well 5 o'clock hits and we head out to the battlefield,I make sure everything is rigged and ready.I try to lay down to nap but like always I CANT!!!!So I go to the galley to wath some tv,we finally reach the grounds at 10:30pm.I get my piece of kingfish ready,we drop anchor and here we go cast out as far as i can,I was fishing the first spot on the pulpit#31,next to me was Bobby and then Art two cool a$$ fisherman.So not even 5 min pass by and i'm hooked up,nice 8lber and ofcourse jarbas too.We started fishing at 160ft and the muttons were coming up non stop every 10-15 min,then the sharks moved in so we moved.Capt Matt takes us to the same depth and another productive spot,muttons dont stop coming over the rails by 4am i have 6 and Jarbas i Believe 9,never during the trip did i try to compete with Jarbas or try to beat him I just tried to keep up,I figured if i was right behind him i would have a productive trip.Well sunrise came upon us and that was the last of the hot bite.Capt Gregg takes over and takes us to deeper water 220 ft."HELL YEAH THATS WHAT I LIKE BIG BOY FISHING" but like we expected this trip was gonna be based mostly on night fishing,I drop a leader down and bring up a nice 4 lb yellow eye,so lets get to work,put smaller baits down and start to slay them,ofcourse jarbas loves to be the center of attention and decides to drop a chicken rig and pullup up 3 yellow eyes evey time,lmao.We fished all day 220-230 ft the few muttons that did come up were nice ones and not to mention plenty of scamps.Kingfishing was solid too 85% of the time if you flatlined a ballyhoo you were getting eaten,Bobby hooks up to a nice king that came right up to the boat to eat his offering beautiful take of the bait Bobby does his job and brings him to the boat,ending up to be the pool winning fish about 28lber.Sunset came up and we went to 120ft.Jewfish city,we were all catching fish(muttons)and on the way up the would get eaten so i managed to get up a porgy about 2 lbs butterflied it and sent him down on my 6/0 locked the drag with my pliers and got ready.PLUMP you can feel the fish just suck it in,here we go i use the rail to my advantage and started to see saw him up,had him beat then he took another run and broke me off:banghead.Jarbas then gets hooked up and he manages to bring him up,big Goliath,gave him a sore jaw and sent him on his way.Night time again!!!Jarbas and i were talking earlier and expected for a slow night considering the fact that the previous night was explosive and most of the time a great night is then followed by a slow one but that wasnt the case.Saturday night was great,sharks and kings were thick too,Capt Matt takes us to some spot in 160ft at around 12am and lets just say that we left them biting at 4:30 am.Matt just wanted to find some more quality fish i guess because were we catching allot of rat muttons.So we go to 200 and cuurent is ripping cant barely hold bottom with 16 oz.Mike hooks up to whats looked like a nice black but lost him:banghead,so this bring us to our last stop sunrise,fished it for about 30 min and was time to head back,not much going on there anyways.I was ready to head back anyway,I consider myself a VERY hardcore fisherman but never had i felt the soreness in my shoulder and wrist that i had on this trip i can actually say that i was tired of catching fish,something that had never happend to me!!!We start arriving at key west and the totes are loaded i counted 32 someone please correct me if i am wrong,fish are distributed,Many people with mutton limits and many people including myself broke there personal mutton records.Lets just say i had to go to kmart and buy an xtra cooler.lol Thank you Capt Greg and Capt Matt and all the mates,you guys were all on your ''A'' game.This was one hell of a trip that will go in the record books for sure and will be hard to beat.I hope we can reapeat this,i know i will be back out with Greg this season again looking to do damage again.Thanks Jarbas,ART,Bobby AND Mike for making it an even better experience hope we can do it again.

Anthony aka Bricks
'
''10-27-20111442.jpg,
10-27-20111441.jpg
10-27-20111445.jpg
10-27-20111447.jpg
10-27-20111444.jpg

Replies

• FlagtailsFlagtails Posts: 576 Officer
    Good Job! Art told me it was a great trip. I'm glad everyone caught dinner. LOL.

Any pictures?

Juan
  • BUCHEADBUCHEAD Posts: 109 Deckhand
    Thanks for the great report. We have all been waiting to hear what happened. :thumbsup
    I've Got 99 Problems, But A Fish Aint One...................................................................................................................Hit Me!
  • bite my baitbite my bait Posts: 459 Deckhand
    Guys I'm trying to get pictures but,I basically wrote the report from my phone because I haven't had time to reach my laptop.maybe ill have a chance tonight
  • kalv13kalv13 Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks fir the report and can't wait for the pictures.
    Hey guys here are the pics.first one is on the way back 32 totes,second pic is a tote full of yelloweyes and a nice mutton to top it off,third pic is my 150 quart cooler overflowing with all muttons ,fourth pic me and my trophies, last pic is the cemetery "may all you fish rest in peace " lol
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    Sounds like it was a great day to be out there fishing. I know for fact it was :) Congrats!!!
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Wow, good that the conditions were there to target the YE, sure more action than soaking for Pinkies in the day when the nite bite is on. YE, Scamps, blacks, pinkies, and mega porgies from the deep during the day will fill the coolers for all and make the day past faster. Nice that the big YE were in 230' not that deep. The trip coming in tomorrow have nice weather, should be a great update too. My batting avg is the pits , 2 cancelled trip in less a month, Ahhhh!
  • snappernewbiesnappernewbie Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the great report and comments from others. My buddy and I are completely new to the game and are trying to decide on bait for our first ever trip - the 3 day on Nov. 10th. We were going to get some goggs, but they are darn expensive ($36 doz.) We are getting in early to catch a bunch of pins and maybe even runners. Do you think we can get away with getting some ballyhoo, thread fins, and bringing some king rigs? I hate to spend $3 a bait if it is not really really needed. Advice? Thanks.
  • cudamancudaman Kendal LakesPosts: 404 Deckhand
    If you can get them at $36 a dozen and they are fresh then that is not a bad deal....If you are going to spend the $400 bucks on the trip why not buy at least one dozen? .... You can get the fish on fresh ballyhoos, runners, and pinfish, but do not depend on hoping on the boat to catch your bait offshore. It may not be until the second day when you find the kings and the bite might have gone off on the first day. Any oily bait you can gather will also work, king fish, spanish mackarels, blue fish, jack crevales, etc..... Good luck.
  • snappernewbiesnappernewbie Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    danmanswag wrote: »
    who has them at 36?

Captain Lee Robinson in Key Largo (Jackpot fishing charter) 305 393 0206 or 305 852 3737 - $36 a dozen live. I called him about a week ago and he quoted this price. He said to call him 1 to 1 1/2 weeks out.
  • globalwavetrackerglobalwavetracker Posts: 232 Deckhand
    Consider the GOGs as being the top tier bait and some times the premier choice for the trip if your fellow trip mates did not bring other choice fresh bally or speedo, Kings etc, no chance for that anymore. Unfortunately, you will want to budget for them. ON the first day, all fresh bait works good. Gogs keep fresh the best over several days. On many a trip if you still had gogs on the last sunrise city drop, you rule the bite. Love to jig for them at night with squid tiped jigs, they can be as deep as 200' or just under the boat. Get 2 doz if you don't intend to jig your own and split them into 3 pieces to use. On hot bites even a crushed recycled GI head work's wonder.
    Snappernewbie
    I totally agree that paying 3-4 bucks for a piece of bait is a little steep,but u really shouldn't be too cheap on bait, I try catching my own when I can and if its available if not I've built many contacts over the years that are affordable. I try to stay at $100 limit when buying bait for one of these trips. I'm not the type to buy 4 dozen Gogs. I buy or catch a little of everything cuz I've been on trips where thefish are so **** picky that they only want fresh kingfish or flyers and I've been on other trip where you are dropping a fresh Gog and they are only hitting old boat squid, so for me variety is key. Invest in buying a very long shrimp dip net u can almost never beat fresh flyers. I remembera charter in December with Greg and he asked a buddy of mine how much Gogs were going for? My buddy said $3 a piece! "Greg said thats crazy that all he used to use was chunks of blue runners and he would catch his limit ever time".thats coming from the captain. Personally secure 1 dozen Gogs for yourself and a little of everything else.good luck
    Snappernewbie
    I totally agree that paying 3-4 bucks for a piece of bait is a little steep,but u really shouldn't be too cheap on bait, I try catching my own when I can and if its available if not I've built many contacts over the years that are affordable. I try to stay at $100 limit when buying bait for one of these trips. I'm not the type to buy 4 dozen Gogs. I buy or catch a little of everything cuz I've been on trips where thefish are so **** picky that they only want fresh kingfish or flyers and I've been on other trip where you are dropping a fresh Gog and they are only hitting old boat squid, so for me variety is key. Invest in buying a very long shrimp dip net u can almost never beat fresh flyers. I remembera charter in December with Greg and he asked a buddy of mine how much Gogs were going for? My buddy said $3 a piece! "Greg said thats crazy that all he used to use was chunks of blue runners and he would catch his limit ever time".thats coming from the captain. Personally secure 1 dozen Gogs for yourself and a little of everything else.good luck

This is the BEST advise!

Juan
  • RareRare Posts: 238 Deckhand
    Snappernewbie
    Invest in buying a very long shrimp dip net u can almost never beat fresh flyers.

X2

I was lucky every morning last week cause there were a few on deck on Yuri's boat. Other times we were fishing & they were jumping/flying in. I kept saying I wish I had a dip net to catch them cause they were all over. Nice size big squid as well. A dip net will come handing on our next trip.
  • HooganHoogan Right on the edge of the EvergladesPosts: 515 Officer
    Enjoyed this outstanding report by Anthony aka Bricks. :thumbsup
    My hat goes down to:

Jarbas
    bite my bait aka Anthony - Bricks
    Bobby aka snappersnatcher

Wouldn't have happened without the bus drivers Greg & Matt Earl. :driver
  • willywilly Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    thanks for the report great job even though i missed the trip:banghead you made me feel like i was there i will be with you guys on the next one for sure
  • Yankee CaptsYankee Capts Posts: 775 Officer
    Sorry to say but I do not agree with this "bait" debate. I believe and my observations over the last 25 that GI's are OVERATED. Plus when you add the price I shake my head over and over again. Hell I remember when Squirel fish was the hot bait and people begged us to fish in the hard bottom so they could catch them. That however is another story for another day.

First off those that are "high hooks" are top anglers. They know how fish and PAY ATTENTION to what their bait is doing at all times. They present baits in the most proper way. That is key. Presention out fishes EVERYTHING. Always has, always will.

I stand hard and fast that oil baits are the best. Kingfish has outfished everything the past few years. Blue runners are a close second.These are my personal observations but facts are stubborn things to dismiss.

Flame away, I can take it!

Greg
  • the great wallthe great wall Posts: 254 Officer
    How was the fantasy fest trip?
    Overall I was pleased. Into the blue box with a very light group. 21 totes with many mutton limits.

Greg
    I completely agree with Capt Greg on the Gogs, there good to have in your back pocket, but completely overpriced, I think I have only taken them out there about 2× they do work but also do many other things that you can easily catch from a pier/bridge and you can save some money while having fun.I've seen guys go out there with $300 worth of bait and not catch Jack,due to poor presentation/knowledge. A mutton is not gonna bite your hook just because you have a fresh Gog/kingfish!!!!!I mean dont get me wrong if you have the money spare why not go for it and don't forget to share with ME!!!!!!LOL
    I completely agree with Capt Greg on the Gogs, there good to have in your back pocket, but completely overpriced, I think I have only taken them out there about 2× they do work but also do many other things that you can easily catch from a pier/bridge and you can save some money while having fun.I've seen guys go out there with $300 worth of bait and not catch Jack,due to poor presentation/knowledge. A mutton is not gonna bite your hook just because you have a fresh Gog/kingfish!!!!!I mean dont get me wrong if you have the money spare why not go for it and don't forget to share with ME!!!!!!LOL
  • DanMontzDanMontz Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Wow, looks like an epic trip!! I can't wait for another trip (with good weather this time!).

Can I get a AMEN from the brotherhood? Well said.

Greg
    Okay here goes, AMEN!

Juan
    Amen,Hallelujah and praise the lord! !!!!!!!
  • miami muttonmiami mutton Posts: 1,090 Officer
    Very nice trip,congrats,and as always for capt Greg,Matt, and the mates all of you always give 100 %, to make this, experience unforgettable.I was a regular in the late 80"s and 90"s, and this boat is overall the BEST.
  • TipboneTipbone Posts: 190 Officer
    Great Job Guys!! I am gearing up for my 1st trip to the Tortugas next week with Fishquest Charters. I have been reading about the bait debate (get it). I fish in-shore a lot and net a ton of large mullet. I usually toss back what I do not use. Are large Mullet worthy of keeping and using in the Tortugas? We are going down the day before and are planning on fishing for Pinfish and what not to take out with us.

I also want to give a shout out to Flagtails for all the advice and info!:fishing
  • DanMontzDanMontz Posts: 75 Deckhand
    Tipbone wrote: »
    Great Job Guys!! I am gearing up for my 1st trip to the Tortugas next week with Fishquest Charters. I have been reading about the bait debate (get it). I fish in-shore a lot and net a ton of large mullet. I usually toss back what I do not use. Are large Mullet worthy of keeping and using in the Tortugas? We are going down the day before and are planning on fishing for Pinfish and what not to take out with us.

I also want to give a shout out to Flagtails for all the advice and info!:fishing

Tipbone, I actually netted quite a few mullet before my trip in early October on the Yankee Capts. To be completely honest, the mullet didn't produce all that well. Granted, we didn't have the best of conditions, but when the fish were getting finicky, they weren't taking the offering. Out of myself and two other buddies on the trip, I believe we managed one nice Red Grouper on a mullet bite and that's about it. I would say to bring some anyways though, it wouldn't hurt! I just wouldn't go out of my way to get them again.