Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

First post- Tarpon question?

So lately there's been big schools of poonies, hundreds of them out on my flat. I've been freelining finger mullet, typically sightcasting their school, and I'll toss it around 10 feet in front of them but they aren't wanting to grab, only sometimes. Any suggestions? I know Tarpon are aggressive and very ealry morning feeders so what don't they like?

Thanks!
One fish, two fish, red fish, another redfish, another redfish, trout, blue fish.

Replies

• AlleniAlleni Posts: 344 Deckhand
    Try throwing a tiny bucktail and ripping across the surface. Sometimes it gets them stirred up. They could be feeding on tiny bait, and get fixated on that size only.
  • FlfjackFlfjack Posts: 646 Officer
    try a lighter leader and smaller hook
    East Boynton
    IG jack.bbi
  • FishyGirlFishyGirl Posts: 715 Officer
    And try shrimp. Smaller and easier for them to munch
    "America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves"
    --Abraham Lincoln
  • kingralphkingralph Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Probably feeding on glass minnows there have been many along the beach lately .. Tastiest bait in the sea gonna be tough with that mullet.
  • Rippin_lipsRippin_lips Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Not sure what area you're in but I've seen a ton of green backs ranging from glass minnow to 2 inches. Net some small greenbacks and they will probably slurp them down.
  • NSB PhotogNSB Photog Posts: 539 Officer
    How big are they?

I have found that one of those small, white or chartreuse crappie jigs (the feather kind, not the curly tail) reeled slowly just under the surface will usually entice a bite from smaller tarpon. Just have to lighten up on the tackle a bit to cast it for any considerable distance and keep from bending the small hooks, but that's part of the fun. :)
    Florida Impressions | Adventuring in the Sunshine State
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    If they are juvi poons, you definitely want to downsize and go white or chartruese.. I throw a 2" curly tail in white on a crappie style jig and they destroy it.. The trick is finding a jighead with a hook that's slim for easier penetration yet strong so they don't bend it out..
  • bostonsox2904bostonsox2904 Posts: 129 Deckhand
    If they are juvi poons, you definitely want to downsize and go white or chartruese.. I throw a 2" curly tail in white on a crappie style jig and they destroy it.. The trick is finding a jighead with a hook that's slim for easier penetration yet strong so they don't bend it out..

Or use a proper hook and a pegged bullet weight!