Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Ponce Inlet/Smyrna Sand Dune Park

mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,565 AG
The wife and mother-in-law want to get out this weekend, so I am thinking about heading to the sand Dunes Park area of the Inlet. I'm not sure I want to fish off the Jetty/Pier, I think I'd prefer fishing the sand on the North side of the park in the inlet. I am not sure how far the ladies are willing to walk either. I have fished the Indian River part on the West side once and that might be where I have to set up if the ladies aren't willing to take a longer stroll.

How early should I get there if we want a parking spot and maybe get free reign on picking a spot to fish?

Any tips/pointers for fishing this area and anyone have a report on what's biting there now?

Captain Todd Approves

Replies

• jamesbayjamesbay Posts: 41 Deckhand
    there should be enough room to park reasonably close to the jetty if you get there by sunrise. the flounder fishing right off the beach is pretty good right now and there is always a lot of reds and jacks also. if you want to avoid by catch for flounder fishing i would use gulp on a heavy jig head and work it slowly on the bottom. a live shrimp Carolina rig however will catch it all. good luck the jetty always seems to have fish.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 12,565 AG
    Well it was pretty uneventful except when something big either got foul hooked or ate the fish bite. It was a medium setup and I couldn't turn it. He spooled me down to the backing and broke off. I wish I was paying attention,. I would have horsed him before the backing so the line would have broken at the leader. Lesson learned.

Captain Todd Approves