Water in Bilge

dholleydholley Posts: 90 Greenhorn
Trying to figure out how I'm getting water in the bilge. Over the past two years of running my 1890 I've noticed more and more water in the bilge at the end of the day. It used to be just a few ounces, which has turned into gallons. Not enough to trip the float switch, but enough that it makes me wonder.

Last week I found that the hull/deck joint was leaking some water through the rubrail. I tested this by spraying the garden hose and pulled the plug. Bought two tubes of Boat LifeSeal and liberally applied in the joint. I also resealed around one of the deck drains.

Took the boat out twice this past weekend and still had a few gallons in the bilge at the end of the day. I was running the livewell both days, so that is my next suspected culprit. However, I have stuck my head in the while it was running and haven't noticed any apparent leaks.I believe all of the drains under the deck lids drained overboard or onto the deck. Any other areas I should check? I leave the plug open and the boat is high and dry before launching, so its not an accumulation of rain water.

Replies

• jwgolf85jwgolf85 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I'm actually having the same problem and I'm 99% sure its my live wells (I have an 1820). Check the caulking at the top of your live wells. Mine has worn out and I'm pretty sure when I'm hitting waves water splashes over the edges into the bilge.

Its not a lot of water, but enough to annoy me at the end of the day!
  • DanOmiteDanOmite Posts: 119 Deckhand
    I also have an 1890 with the same problem. I always drain my boat on the ramp and keep it in the garage. For a few days afterwards I still have to sponge water out of the bilge, not alot but more than should be in there after double draining the boat (ramp/driveway).

I like the idea about the livewells. I will take a look at those.....Just a note mine was also leaking around the drain of the main livewell. It turned out the 5200 on the inside of the livewell that secures the nut to the threaded drain tube was bad and come loose. Re applied 5200 and no mo leakage.

Dave from Action Craft sometimes browses the forum, if you reading this got any suggestions of areas that are prone to leaking on these models? Thanks.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Live wells are the culprit more often than not, as they're frequently not sealed at the top & the sloshing water ends up going over the lip & into the bilge...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • dholleydholley Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    So after recaulking the livewells - which is a pain - I'm pretty sure I've found the culprit.

It appears the sealant used around the rear livewell spray head had disintegrated and was no longer creating a proper seal. Livewell was steadily dripping into the bilge. Pulled the old sealant and resealed with BoatLife Seal. Will report back next trip out.
  • Salty GatorSalty Gator Posts: 1,806 Captain
    My 1820 did the same thing. The culprit was the connection from the larger well drain hose to the plastic through hull fitting. I replaced the fitting and resealed everything with 5200.
  • dholleydholley Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Took the boat out again today. Significantly less water in the bilge this go round. Maybe a gallon or two at the most. Am I being unrealistic to think it should be dry? I've resealed both livewell inlets, I guess it's time to check both outlets.
  • WeBeBoatinWeBeBoatin Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    I had to replace two thruhulls because the bedding had dried cracked shrunk whatever. I have 1998 1820. Still water in the bilge. Bet now it is the livewell (s) THANK YALL
  • WeBeBoatinWeBeBoatin Posts: 23 Greenhorn
    dholley wrote: »
    Took the boat out again today. Significantly less water in the bilge this go round. Maybe a gallon or two at the most. Am I being unrealistic to think it should be dry? I've resealed both livewell inlets, I guess it's time to check both outlets.

I also found that both of the outboard sides of the bench seat needed to be resealed. The vertical panel directly behind the deck drains. Heavy rain or when doing a washdown if the water pools around the drain, it leaks through the panel and into the bilge.

I also added hatch seal to the bottom of all hatch lids. This kept water from rain or washdown.

Oh and the biggest problem. The hatch in the engine well isn't watertight. If the angle is steep on your ramp the well fills up with water and floods through that hatch into the bilge. All I got for now.