Home Fly Fishing

Michigan Steelhead/Salmon

kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
Planning a mid september trip and would like to do 2 days of float trips. Need recommendations of guides, etc. thanks

Replies

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Steve Cornetet Baldwin or Dave Barkman Manistee/Wellsten
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,422 Captain
    September will probably be too early for steelhead. I grew up fishing the pentwater, PM and little manistee. We usually stay in Hart and Thanksgiving is usually prime. I haven't been salmon fishing up there since about 87'.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    Yeah, I know that time span is early, trying to finagle a later date .
    My POV: PM for Steel and Salmon; Manistee Salmon Steel; White Steel; Little Manistee Trout all venues with guide and boat. September action primarily Salmon with resident Steel and Big Browns gobbling spawn as a by catch. Would agree ODC later better for Steel particularly if swinging streamers is your preference. If however, you are not particular about methods then September Salmon using "chuck and duck" with a fly rod targeting Salmon with secondary opportunity for Steel and Brown or center pinning with indicator and guide's center pin rod or indicator aka bobber with your 7-8 wt again Salmon primary. November and then winter Steel with swinging big streamers would be my choice. But if the rivers are full of Salmon and you are not particular about methods chuck and duck even with all the false positives gives you lots of action with 10 to 25 lb Salmon. For me because I ain't got the chuck and duck technique...numerous false positives as in the drift stops and you jerk with no fish reminds me of bird hunting with a pointer and indiscriminate nose that false points. My daughter has the technique on the PM.
    Thanks so much...just need to convince you know who to go north when it's cold...suggestions?
    Suggestions: Does she fish? and would she like to catch big Steel in relatively small rivers? and stay in lodge rustic? You can swing streamers but if she doesn't fly fish then late fall Steel can be had by swinging hotshots/variations on 9 foot spinning rod...on the PM either method they hit hard and are out of the water instanter like a Tarpon and in relatively tight quarters and snags you need to fight them like a 15 lb snook around Mangroves??? If she doesn't fish then get your wallet out whilst your fishing...she's in Chicago with grandchildren checking out the start of the Christmas season...depending on age Symphony, Chicago Art Institute etc...then if she doesn't have any cold weather clothing really open your wallet and send her to Michigan Avenue "Magnificent Mile." The Florida analog is Miracle Mile Coral Gables....
    Tarpon, are you a travel agent??? Thanks for the plethora of info. We are now planning on a mid-october trip.