Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Off CR 05/21

Watched the weather come through on Friday and thought hmmm, this might be the makings for a great Sat, so out we went early sat after it played out the way I hoped with that front. Headed out to about 30 foot and it was a nice ride, not too bad, so that was awesome. Absolutely beautiful on the water Saturday. Got on site and dropped anchor, couldn't quite get set but after a couple times resetting, well there goes the anchor......lol....couldn't help but laugh. I would like to give a great shout out to Brett from Inverness on the Reel Smooth for helping me out and loaning me an anchor. He saved our day. We got set and commenced to getting some hookups. We got some nice big mangroves and a Spanish Mac. Caught lots of juvenile groupers with the biggest being about 18 inches, and we're just tearing them up on live shrimp. One fun thing we got a kick out of was the silly orange filefish that was brought up the other week in the forum. That discussion helped me out knowing what that thing was. What was hilarious was they would follow the shrimp to the surface and I just reached out and netted one for a closer look..... They don't even run from the net.....I laughed and laughed about that and the wife had a kick playing with them at times......until they kept eating her bait time after time. Simple humors in life.

Coast Guard was active all day on the search......I commented over on the general fishing thread that addressed it......sure hope they find him.........we kept our eyes open and radio on in the hopes he was found.

Then it was time for Reel Smooth to leave so we gave him his anchor back and thanked them profusely as they really did save our day for us. Offered him some mangroves but he declined. He said it looked like we were the only ones out catching anything. I don't know about that but it sure was fun and we had a great day.

Replies

• huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Nice and some go eats too
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Great to see the seas laid down for you...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    Awesome nice mangroves
  • winshimawinshima Posts: 125 Deckhand
    Nice Mangroves! Good Eats!
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Love the smiles, and the fish...and good on Brett. Enjoyed reading your report! :)

We have a very nice anchor out there - you can have it if you can find it.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 589 Officer
    :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,172 Moderator
    Nice day and kudos for the skipper loaning you the anchor. Having two anchors is common in the keys, not so much up here but an excellent added safety factor.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Yep, I ordered two clip ring anchors today as a matter of fact and will keep a third regular danforth as well on board. I think I have contributed at least 6 of them to the relief out there......couple more and I will have my own reef......lol. I don't like to put a lot of stresses on the bow and bow cleat to break them free if they are stuck good. I try to let the wave action break them loose, and then if that does not work I try one motor reverse and the other forward to see if I can swing around on it and get it that way, but if it does not come loose, I just cut it and chalk it up to King Neptune and move on. I have tried the old zip tie with cable and/or chain to let it pull from the tang end, but I have found that when I go to move, they all break loose anyway regardless and there I am zip tying it again, so I gave up on that. Seeing how they are not that terribly expensive, I suck it up and get a new one. I thought I would try some of those slip ring anchors this go around and see if they work out.
  • Salt CrackerSalt Cracker Posts: 136 Deckhand
    Great report and kudos to the fellow boater who helped you. Anchor balls work great. You might consider that also.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    Nice mess of snappers. You need to rig up a breakaway. I use a Rocna with a sliding ring so you can pull it out from the backside. But, that's a 200 dollar anchor! For me, it's nice knowing Butchbal. He's always rounding up my anchors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Thanks Ruff.............when you say breakaway, I take it you mean to connect at the tang end and then run the chain/cable along the shaft to the normal connecting end with zip ties and then if it doesn't come up normally, those zip ties break away and then it pulls from that tang end where the blades are? I have done that in the past, even had some stainless steel cables made here at a cable company in Ocala and rigged it that way, but my problem was the zip ties would always break loose even during normal retrieval when it wasn't hung up and I would have to keep zip tying it all the time when I would move from location to location and if I was moving just a few feet because I drifted off, it got to be a pain in the neck (literally). I have one of those bow pulpits that sticks out there and the anchor guide, so reaching out there all the time and having grab that anchor was a bit much. I have ordered two of those slip ring types that I will keep with me, and one normal danforth for the just in case instances. I have been debating a windlass, but not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a really good one.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,049 Captain
    Yes, the zip tie method. Have two anchors, one a danfort with breakaway ties. Never really had any problems with the ties. It worked great. The ties broke when they were suppose to, allowing me to put the anchor out. The other is a Rocna with a sliding rail that allows the ring to slide to the back of anchor so I can pull out from the opposite way it anchored. That rubble is rough on anchors. If you are going to anchor a lot in that stuff you need those anchors that have prongs that bend when you put on them. There are some excellent post on the NE forum about anchoring in the rubble around inlets and what kind of anchor is best for that situation. Look in the archives and I bet you can get some good advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,172 Moderator
    We left a grapple on the reef in Key West last year. Believe the chain is what stuck. Tried two days to get it loose. My buddy said he hated that anchor anyway . :banghead
    "You'll get your weather"
    wvinfl12 wrote: »
    ...I have been debating a windlass, but not sure I want to spend that kind of money on a really good one.

Get the windlass!...we debated for a couple of years then sprung for one and never looked back - at that time we were often anchoring in 60'+...but even 30-40' can be a backbreaker.

We got good use out of this one. Sold the boat with the paperwork 3 years ago, and our memories are spotty at best - but mr gl thinks :shrug it's a Lewmar 1200 (maybe 1000). About $500, 10 years or so ago.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

capt louie wrote: »
    We left a grapple on the reef in Key West last year. Believe the chain is what stuck. Tried two days to get it loose. My buddy said he hated that anchor anyway . :banghead

The one and only anchor we ever lost, the most expensive anchor we ever bought before or since, fell off the chain at the boat. I wasn't on that trip - but mr gl says it's because he used a stainless clevis (thinking stainless is better) with a safety wire - the safety wire broke and the pin backed out. A galvanized clevis would have corroded the pin in place. Lesson learned - sometimes stainless is not better.

Sorry about your grapple - but I hate those things too. That's one reason we took to mostly trolling in the Keys, to avoid anchoring very often. We did make good use of the mooring buoys along the reef edge for nighttime yellowtail fishing though.

• barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    Great bunch of Mangs there.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,584 Captain
    Sounds like you are frequently dragging your anchor into big rocks. Might try more chain or more scope. I doubled the zipties and did not have too much trouble with them breaking. I also used UV resistant ties.