Miinorcan Clam Chowder

SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 100 Greenhorn
I really like the taste of Minorcan Chowder. It's very close to Manhattan Clam Chowder but has a slightly different flavor I presume due to the Datil Peppers in it.
I have had it at The Conch House Lounge in St. Augustine Florida and thought it had the right taste but, to my taste, had far too many vegetables in it and not enough broth. Yesterday I had a cup of it at Singletons Seafood Shack in Mayport Florida. This also had the correct flavor and had plenty of broth, clams and potatoes. Perfect and just what I was looking for! I will keep checking out more restaurants to taste what their Minorcan Chowder rates against Singletons.
There are lots of recipes for Minorcan Chowder on the internet for the chefs out there.
My question is have any of you found a restaurant that you thought had a very good Minorcan Chowder? Tells us about it please!

Replies

• latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,001 Captain
    My wife's favorite is Barnacle Bill's in St. Augustine, I personally have not had it there but we both love a good Manhattan type chowder, thanks for posting.
  • SHELLFISHSHELLFISH Posts: 100 Greenhorn
    I did a little searching on Google and found some other restaurants that offer Minorcan Clam Chowder.
    Singletons (right now my favorite)
    Kyles Seafood Market (take out only)
    Schooners
    Salt Water Cowboy
    Most of these places charge approximately $3.50 cup and $4.50 bowl

In 2015 there was a Minorcan Chowder cook off and the three winners were;
    1ST PLACE Purple Olive They do not list Minorcan Chowder on their menu
    2ND PLACE Osteens
    3ED PLACE Red Frog & McToads
    The 2016 contest is November 6th at Conch House Lounge & Marina
  • DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,770 Captain
    Ms. Dock is of Minorcan descent. She can whip up a good one.. But, when we travel to St. Auggie, we try a cup everywhere. Conch Hse is ok. There is a small restaurant on the beach dunes south of the Conch that is very good. Can't remember the name....
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,269 Admiral
    DOCKSIDE wrote: »
    Ms. Dock is of Minorcan descent. She can whip up a good one.. But, when we travel to St. Auggie, we try a cup everywhere. Conch Hse is ok. There is a small restaurant on the beach dunes south of the Conch that is very good. Can't remember the name....

How far south?

South Beach Grill is on the beach, in the dunes, but it's in Crescent Bch. One of my favorite restaurants, we always stopped at on the way home after a day of surf fishing. They have a Minorcan conch chowder - tho' I've only had it once. Not a fan of red chowders, but theirs was very good.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• DOCKSIDEDOCKSIDE Posts: 1,770 Captain
    That's it !!
    somewhere south of disorder and on earth... mostly .
    ..............................................................................
    IBEW LU 433