Missing Boaters at Cedar Key

Law Enforcement from the Sheriff's Office, FWC and the Coast Guard are on scene approximately 5 nautical miles southwest of Seahorse Key. Late yesterday afternoon the boaters launched from Cedar Key in a 23 foot center console boat. They did not return as expected. Two of the three boaters were located early this morning by the Coast Guard and have been transported to a local hospital for treatment. Their boat had capsized. One boater is still missing.

The search continues for the missing boater. This case is still under investigation and recreational boaters are asked to stay clear of this area until law enforcement officials have completed their search.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    Hope he s ok and they find him
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    There was some tough weather yesterday. Wonder if they got hit by a squall.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    **** hate hearing that, I hope the find him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,633 Captain
    Sounds like they went out Friday morning. That noon storm line was nasty. Makes me sick.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Was out today and the C-130 was flying expanding square grid search off shore around 25 miles, helo flying low level search pattern, coast guard was asking for all boaters to keep eye out for man in the water. With my experience of SAR operations in the Navy, the alert was always time check of 1145 announcing the event, even at 0800 this morning, so was not sure why time check was not stated as 2345 if these guys went out late afternoon, I'm thinking 1145pm was when it was actually reported, so I need to research that. Around 3:00 pm, C-130 flew over almost due west of the power plant and dropped a datum smoke and made several passes over the smoke......kept watching to see if they would do a 100 foot pass with a raft drop on datum, but never saw them do it. Hope they find the man.
  • m9000m9000 Posts: 2,075 Captain
    Coast Guard report indicates they left Alachua at 5:30 am Friday for Cedar Key.

A storm blew through around 10:30 am with gusts to 37 knots.
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 658 Officer
    From what I heard, the Sea Pro they were on separated (top deck/bottom hull) due to the speed/conditions, and they began taking on water.

No VHF radio on the boat.

The missing man somehow got critically injured during all of this, and was unconscious and/or deceased during the capsize. The two survivors were unable to hold onto him.

..again, just hearsay.

Absolutely horrible, horrible situation, but its great that two of the passengers were rescued.

I hope others can learn from this tragedy and the family can recover.

If you can afford the gas bill to run offshore, you can afford a VHF radio. Everyone running offshore should also invest the $200-300 in a PLB or an extra $hundred more for an EPIRB. Please also be aware of what the weather is going to do BEFORE going out.

If the above sounds like something you do (going offshore without what I consider essential safety equipment), ask yourself if you'd like to trade your life for $200. Don't let this person's sacrifice fall on deaf ears.
  • wvinfl12wvinfl12 Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Ok, that would make more sense, they left early in the morning and not late in the afternoon as it relates to the time check.....I hope they find him......horrible story.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,191 AG
    If they did go out early, that storm came in much faster than most expected. Still I think I would have done my fishing inshore instead of out towards Seahorse reef.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,160 Moderator
    Tragic .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,860 Captain
    :-( I wish more boaters had basic weather sense. That was a complete no-go and went right into the teeth of that system.
  • RyanStahl_RRTRyanStahl_RRT Posts: 110 Deckhand
    anymore updates? loosing faith this man had a life jacket on
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,129 Officer

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • hihater36hihater36 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    Good friend of my mine got caught out in it with his son and his friend. They were fishing 7 miles offshore of Gomez area and he said he could see the clouds coming. He pulled anchor and started running but it caught up to him pretty quick. I was over at his place in Crystal River yesterday and I could tell it sketched him out pretty good. He told me there was about a half hour where he had everyone put their life jackets on and he had his buddy holding onto the plb attached to the jacket. He's ordering a Sirius weather antennae and subscription first thing Monday he said.
  • IndianLagoonIndianLagoon Posts: 1,860 Captain
    This is what the radar composite looked like at 7AM Friday morning:

southeast_201605201100.gif

That bow echo had been moving steadily eastward across the northern Gulf all night and had triggered a few severe thunderstorm watches, severe thunderstorm warnings and marine warnings.

Mesoscale Discussion from early Friday morning
    mcd0658.gif

Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Friday morning
    ww0185_overview_wou.gif

Here's a time lapse cloud camera from Friday from the WeatherSTEM site at the Marine Science Station in Crystal River:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPF-38KOHgM

I'm surprised to see how many boats were headed out just prior to the arrival of that QLCS. You can catch a few headed back WOT just before it hits.

Sad.
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    They suspended the search i just read
  • swampmonsterswampmonster Posts: 308 Deckhand
    hihater36 wrote: »
    Good friend of my mine got caught out in it with his son and his friend. They were fishing 7 miles offshore of Gomez area and he said he could see the clouds coming. He pulled anchor and started running but it caught up to him pretty quick. I was over at his place in Crystal River yesterday and I could tell it sketched him out pretty good. He told me there was about a half hour where he had everyone put their life jackets on and he had his buddy holding onto the plb attached to the jacket. He's ordering a Sirius weather antennae and subscription first thing Monday he said.

I got the year Sirius out 100 miles, it has helped in avoiding storms. It shows them way before radar.
  • hihater36hihater36 Posts: 137 Deckhand
    yeah we have it on the yellowfin even with the 12k radar its paid for itself quite a few times. I also told my buddy in CR he could always hail the coast guard and do a 15 or 30 minute incremental check in with them, in the event this ever happens again. Give them his coordinates, course, and SOG. Once back inside the river hail them to let them know all is well and the monitoring can be cancelled. Ive had to do it once out of fort pierce after sword fishing all night and some freak storm came out of nowhere.
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,467 Officer
    Tragic event: one thing here, storms s/b avoided at all times not to place your crew and yourself in the path. Preparations s/b made the night before and the morning of to check the path of any approaching weather front etc. If it's close cancel the trip or fish other places. Fish will always be there. I am not faulting anyone here, we don't know what preparation the Captain did: all we can do is pray for him and learn from this event.
    Rick1-2 wrote: »
    They suspended the search i just read

I heard them cancel it yesterday in the afternoon, on the water.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    I fished Friday. A couple of things I can tell you. I always check weather. At 7:00 am I looked at the radar. The storm was at the Florida/Alabama border. Both the weather channel and NOAA had it getting here around 8 pm. I figured it would be more like 6 if it were moving at 35 mph. I loaded up and headed over knowing I would be off the water by 3. Stopped and picked my buddy up and as we got closer to the water I noticed how dark it was ahead of us. I looked at the radar again and it was about to hit Steinhatchee. We decided to stop and have a sit down breakfast and see what was going to happen. At 9:00 it hit us. We were in side. This storm covered roughly 250 miles in just under 2 hours. We waited for it to go by and went fishing. Turned out to be a nice day once it passed. Both the weather channel and NOAA missed the boat on how fast this storm was moving. Prayers to the family's that are having to deal with this.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,956 Captain
    Word on the street is that the motor wasn't running right. I think they had planned to be off the water early after some morning fishing but their motor wouldn't run right and left them sitting ducks when the storm rolled in. They sat with the boat all night and could even see the helicopter. The boat capsized so quickly I guess they couldn't even radio for help or get to their flares/ditch bag. If they'd had flares handy they'd have been rescued by that chopper that night at least.
  • MikeHinesMikeHines Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    I fished Friday. A couple of things I can tell you. I always check weather. At 7:00 am I looked at the radar. The storm was at the Florida/Alabama border. Both the weather channel and NOAA had it getting here around 8 pm. I figured it would be more like 6 if it were moving at 35 mph. I loaded up and headed over knowing I would be off the water by 3. Stopped and picked my buddy up and as we got closer to the water I noticed how dark it was ahead of us. I looked at the radar again and it was about to hit Steinhatchee. We decided to stop and have a sit down breakfast and see what was going to happen. At 9:00 it hit us. We were in side. This storm covered roughly 250 miles in just under 2 hours. We waited for it to go by and went fishing. Turned out to be a nice day once it passed. Both the weather channel and NOAA missed the boat on how fast this storm was moving. Prayers to the family's that are having to deal with this.

I was out Friday as well, was probably no more than 2 or 3 miles from these unfortunate fellow fishermen. Relied on forecasts that the storm wouldn't arrive 'til the evening, checked the radar before heading west from Gainesville, foolishly didn't check the radar at the dock. Never again. It was a gnarly one, and came up fast and I mean FAST.
    I'm out at the reef all the time, and often a lot further. Been thinking about buying a EPRIB for years, guess it's time to buy one. So who sells the best economy EPIRB for the average joe?
    It's pretty sad my safety/play money dwinndells due to Ck boat ramps 16.00 public boat ramp fee
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Posts: 1,467 Officer
    I'm out at the reef all the time, and often a lot further. Been thinking about buying a EPRIB for years, guess it's time to buy one. So who sells the best economy EPIRB for the average joe?

Check ACR and get the prices on a PLB at the minimum, at least you could wear the PLB on your belt. EPRIB are more money but again, what's the cost for safety. I wear a PLB all the time and carry an Inreach Satellite Text Communicator as well as having the DSC on the radio. I've been looking at Sirius weather, but my Lowrance isn't compatible.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 7,031 Admiral
    :-( I wish more boaters had basic weather sense. That was a complete no-go and went right into the teeth of that system.

Exactly. One look at the radar in the gulf and unhook the boat and skip it.
  • Almost PerfectAlmost Perfect Posts: 589 Officer
    You can get a Ocean Signal cat2 EPIRB for under $350.

Be sure to register it. Same with your vhf radio. It won't work without a MMSI and being hooked up to the gps (unless it has it's own internal).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Contender 27 Cuddy
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    And we know how 2nd or 3rd hand stories go...
    As spoken from a family member of the local survivor: They saw the storm coming and attempted to flee. However, their boat had taken on water, presumably due to a cracked hose on a thru-hull fitting below the water line. As a result, they couldn't get on plane or develop enough speed to go anywhere fast enough. The boat capsized and they attempted to assist the 3rd guy but he couldn't swim and became panicked. From there, you can fill in the blanks.

The exact details don't really matter at this point, and there's certainly enough grief and remorse to occupy the minds of the family and friends right now, so no need to pile on. I'd have to say that most (if not all) things mentioned in this thread has been good advice. Sounds like this storm system was so bad and fast that by the time they saw it coming, it was already too late.

I'm guessing that the survivors were either given the life vests by the coast guard upon rescue or retrieved them from the capsized boat after the storm. We generally are very lax about the use of PFD's on adults. Our kids wear them nearly all the time, and only take them off during times when the risk is extremely minimal. However, if the circumstances mentioned above are accurate, then I believe its a reminder that we should always be asking those on our boat whether or not they can swim. If they can't, we should insist that they wear a PFD, even if that means we have to spend a little coin to get some nice waist-band style auto inflate PFDs. At a minimum, though, with the approach of a storm that we may or may not be able to escape, everyone should be wearing one.
    Jim311 wrote: »
    Word on the street is that the motor wasn't running right. I think they had planned to be off the water early after some morning fishing but their motor wouldn't run right and left them sitting ducks when the storm rolled in. They sat with the boat all night and could even see the helicopter. The boat capsized so quickly I guess they couldn't even radio for help or get to their flares/ditch bag. If they'd had flares handy they'd have been rescued by that chopper that night at least.

Apparently there was no VHF radio on the boat at all. It was sitting at the CK Marina, and you can see where it separated.