Home Conservation Front

Nile Crocodiles in the Everglades? Invasive species

g8rlifeg8rlife Posts: 10 Greenhorn
Saw this report on the news this morning: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-crocodiles-everglades-20160519-story.html

Doesn't look invasive (yet) but curious if anyone has seen any? After watching Discovery channel, these crocs are bad news!

Replies

• Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,921 Admiral
    Interesting, I'm in the Everglades three or more months a year doing UW inspections on structures and levees. We deal with a lot of alligators. Never seen a crock except near Blackpoint and Turkey Point.
  • repairrepair Posts: 208 Deckhand
    I don,t know about the Nile Crocks but we do have the protected American Crock around the power plant near Miami.
    I have to admit I am a FISHAHOLIC.
    viet vet usaf 71-75
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,472 Captain
    That particular news item is absurd on its face.... Yes, there are good numbers of crocs along the edges of the Everglades and yes they're expanding their population (and have been for the last 30 years. NO there's no Nile crocs anywhere that I've heard -the ones down here are the American saltwater crocodile.... Here's a pic of one that I see every day (mostly) at the inside boat ramp down at Flamingo....
    [img][/img][img][/img]Bonnercroc_zps7ef415ce.jpg

ps... the Nile crocodile is a maneater - the American crocodile is a fish eater.... When I first heard the news item I thought about setting them straight - but then I thought that I would be shoveling sand with a teaspoon....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • g8rlifeg8rlife Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I too have seen the American crocs in the Glades (including that one at the ramp! LOL). I think my point of posting that article about the Nile croc is to bring light to the idiots intentionally/accidentally introducing invasive species into the Glades (i.e. Pythons). I assumed all croc's I've seen in the Glades were American but guess now I'll have to look closer (but not THAT close, haha). Hopefully this is a media hyped non issue, I don't want to see any Nile crocs except for at the zoo or on Discovery channel.... bad mofo's
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    I too have seen what I believed to be a couple American crocs while making visits to Flamingo. There supposedly was a very large one living in Ding Darling on Sanibel for years, but I think she passed from I remember.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    No Nile crocs but have seen Americans all over the glades as well as on Sanibel and Cayo Costa.

I think there are way more than we know about in populated areas along the SW coast. They are such shy creatures that you may only get a glimpse of one as they are going under water. If you don't know what you are looking at, you would just assume the animal was an alligator.
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Researchers from UF have confirmed 3 crocs caught in the wild (everglades) to be of the Niles species through DNA studies, so yes they do inhabit the glades.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,472 Captain
    You might want to take a moment and actually read what they "found" through those studies.... This just the kind of BS "study" that one fringe group or other tries to use for its own agenda.... I particularly like the part about "caught in the wild..."

There will always be lots and lots of folks with no exposure whatsoever to the 'Glades that will quote a "study" like this and actually believe it means something important...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    My understanding is that the source of Nile DNA is known to have come from escapees of the past and that most all were captured.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,748 Captain
    Here's the study:

http://www.herpconbio.org/Volume_11/Issue_1/Rochford_etal_2016.pdf

Most people would not be able to distinguish a Nile crocodile from the native species without DNA analysis, which is very conclusive in this study.

The study does not conclude that the Nile crocodile has become established in Florida, just that several specimens that were likely escapees from the pet trade were able to grow and flourish here.