Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN Red Snapper (South Atlantic)

Unbelievable...more ARS are dying on the surface from 'closed season' bi-catch than are taken in any season...Their 'scientific' data collection is just silly.

SOUTHEAST FISHERY BULLETIN
(South Atlantic)

FB16-033

Sustainable Fisheries
727-824-5305

May 19, 2016

NOAA Fisheries Announces :banghead:banghead Will Remain Closed in South Atlantic Federal Waters in 2016

NOAA Fisheries announces red snapper will remain closed to commercial and recreational fishing in South Atlantic federal waters in 2016. Red snapper remains closed as the total number of red snapper removed from the population in 2015 exceeded the allowable catch level.

In 2013, the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council developed, and NOAA Fisheries implemented, a standardized process that specifies harvest may only occur in a given year if total removals (landings plus dead discards) in the previous year were less than the number allowed for population rebuilding. The total removals allowable for 2015 were 114,000 fish. After evaluating landings and discard information for 2015, NOAA Fisheries determined the estimates of total removals were 276,729 fish; therefore, the fishery remains closed in 2016.

NOAA Fisheries will utilize the same process identified by the South Atlantic Council to determine if the fishery can sustain a 2017 season.

For additional sources of information, including Frequently Asked Questions, details of the standardized process, and the report of 2015 estimates of red snapper total removals in the South Atlantic Region, please go here:

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sustainable_fisheries/s_atl/sg/2016/red_snapper/index.html
The FIRST Amendment...Sponsored by...The SECOND Amendment :USA

Replies

• dudemanbubbadudemanbubba Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    The total removals allowable for 2015 were 114,000 fish. After evaluating landings and discard information for 2015, NOAA Fisheries determined the estimates of total removals were 276,729 fish; therefore, the fishery remains closed in 2016.

Weren't red snapper closed last year? :huh
    Pioneer 222 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF250 APX
  • DanteDante Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    That sounds like they are counting all the ARS caught and released as "removals", which means they are only making the problem worse. You can't avoid the red snapper now, they even hit flatlined pogies on the surface when I'm live baiting for kingfish. Yes, the snapper season was closed in 2015, so they only "removals" had to be fish they counted as killed by being released.
  • fishinfeverfishinfever Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I guess im going diving from now on. no since in fishing the bottom if you cant get past the ARS. before long we will be catching snapper on the troll. haha
  • straycatstraycat Posts: 139 Deckhand
    Here's their phone # if you want to ask questions.
    727-824-5305
  • HotpursuitHotpursuit Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Can anyone explain to me how in the world they come up with a figure to tell us how many dead fish were released????????????
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    It makes you wonder why they require a venting and dehooking tool.....they still count a released fish as a dead fish.

It's still a SCAM

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Here's the phone # to the guy that did the Bulletin,
    252-728-8603 Eric Williams, ask him the tough questions
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
  • stevenaumanstevenauman Posts: 19 Greenhorn
    I guess im going diving from now on. no since in fishing the bottom if you cant get past the ARS. before long we will be catching snapper on the troll. haha

I did catch one 2 weeks ago while trolling for dolphin on pelican flats. It nailed a ballyhoo on an islander trolled on the downrigger. He was a nice one lol.
  • kklimaskklimas Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Their way of thinking is flawed. Its rediculous. I catch more "legal" endangered ARS than anything else. Maybe instead of opening it up with a bag limit of 1 per person with no minimum size, maybe they should put a minimum size. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    The quality and logic of this analysis is like having your lawn guy determine when it's time to have surgery for an organ removal.
    At the end of the day these are just people, like you and me, that are PAID to make a decision one way or another. They don't "care" about the fish like those crazy whale people on TV... They just care about the mighty dollar $$$$. Plain and simple.

There are laws that are in place to protect people and the greater good. This is just stupid.
    So a bunch of people who don't even fish are going to decide what the fishermen can and can't harvest and when they can and cannot do it?

Sorry, I'm generally a law abiding citizen but there comes a point when common sense needs to be applied. Especially as mentioned above in the cases when the fish is going to die anyway... Shark dinner or my dinner..... hmmmm let me see....
    Who's on top of the food chain again?

Give me a break.
  • Fool's GoldFool's Gold Posts: 169 Deckhand
  • MrPatMrPat Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    They have succeeded in creating an unregulated, non-reporting, data less fishery. Nice work geniuses (sarcasm intended).
  • J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    Time to hit those snapper spots inside of 3 miles...
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,962 Captain
    J-Sea wrote: »
    Time to hit those snapper spots inside of 3 miles...
    Time? If ya got them, what have you been doing the last 5 or so years? :o

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    They use **** logic to guesstimate catches for everybody. If they see one boat come back to the dock with 30 dolphin they multiply that by how many boats they see coming back in and there is your catch total. Every boat caught the same amount of fish. Doesn't matter what fish or where they apply the same dipsh*%t math to everyone. How else do they come up with saying recreational quotas were met? They certainly do NOT check every boat. TOO LAZY...just screw the public.
    Unfortunately for us, the mass of red snapper will grow each year and if they use the same % and rules for dead discards, we will always meet the allowable catch limits and we will never have a season.
  • kingralphkingralph Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Max size.. The large ones are the breeders.
  • kingralphkingralph Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    Also where can you see their analysis.. Show me the assumptions.
  • finaticsfinatics Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    Red Snapper 2016 Closure public comments to SAFMC, Please make the time to attend this meeting June 15th.

Public comments will be accepted on June 15th at 5:30 PM.
    1. Public comment will first be accepted on items before the Council for approval for public hearings:
    • Snapper Grouper Amendment 41 (Mutton Snapper)
    • Coastal Migratory Pelagics Framework Amendment 4 (Atlantic Cobia)
    Public comment will then be accepted regarding any of the other items on the Council agenda. The Council Chair, based on the number of individuals wishing to comment, will determine the amount of time provided to each commenter.

SAFMC Council Meeting
    June 13-17, 2016
    Hilton Cocoa Beach Oceanfront
    1550 N. Atlantic Avenue
    Cocoa Beach FL 32931
    Reservations: 1-800-445-8667 or 321-799-0003

Here are all the links to the meetings and the agenda.

SAFMC council Meeting in Cocoa Beach

http://safmc.net/SAFMC_06_2016CouncilMeeting

Agenda

http://safmc.net/sites/default/files/meetings/pdf/Council/2016/06_2016/FINAL_CouncilAgenda0616v3.pdf
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand
    We're damned if do damned if we don't. If you are approached at the boat ramp by one of these so called "scientist" asking if you caught any don't answer them, well you can tell them where to go! If you say no then there aren't any red snapper out there. If you say yes then you killed everyone you caught. Its a catch 22.

Oh and we caught one on the flat line with a live blue runner trolling for kings at the Party Grounds.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • gatorhookgatorhook Posts: 657 Officer
    Cobia is on the agenda.... they're gonna screw us out of another species.
  • seanfishseanfish Posts: 254 Deckhand
    Reel Teal wrote: »
    Time? If ya got them, what have you been doing the last 5 or so years? :o

They've only been there last 2 years or so. Coming closer and closer each year. I have something like 2 spots, and no I'm not giving em out. Yellowtail, muttons, and mangroves can be had there too.

Sedar 41 literally says we havent seen stocks like this since the 1970s (in 5yrs), but its still overfished. By scientific reasoning this is not possible unless they are more sustainable than previously thought OR the previous regulations actually did something called ....oh ya they worked
  • beachsideandybeachsideandy Posts: 925 Officer
    seanfish wrote: »
    They've only been there last 2 years or so. Coming closer and closer each year. I have something like 2 spots, and no I'm not giving em out. Yellowtail, muttons, and mangroves can be had there too.

Sedar 41 literally says we havent seen stocks like this since the 1970s (in 5yrs), but its still overfished. By scientific reasoning this is not possible unless they are more sustainable than previously thought OR the previous regulations actually did something called ....oh ya they worked

YELLOWTAIL...... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... yum
    Must be a nice little chunk of reef!
  • Sea DollarSea Dollar Posts: 35 Deckhand
    Let's get Crabtree & cronies fired in November! They have made a complete mess of our fishery with their bogus SARS reports starting with SARS 15 on Red Snapper.
  • DoradoDorado Posts: 400 Deckhand
    So now Cobia are now in their sights.....

Makes we ponder something. Cobia have been "farmed" in the Caribbean and Asia for some time now. Red Snapper as well.

Makes me wonder if there is a link..... a method to their madness.

We import farmed fish for our supermarkets, thereby encouraging employment for other country's, instead of encouraging our own local fisherman who buy fuel for their boats, bait, lures...... see where this is going?

Kinda like shooting yourself in the foot.

I now know why the chicken crossed the road.....

It was to show the Armadillo and the Racoon that it could be done.

• saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,609 Captain
    And all that farmed crap is that "CRAP", full of toxic chemicals. Just glad I'm getting old and enjoyed it when it was good.
    I remember ( 25 yrs ago ) when ARS were 12" legal size and in spring you could easily see 20-40 cobia on a nice sunny day. Last year I saw one. This year I hear was even worse. Just too dang many people moving into Florida and taking taking. Now for the closed ARS, that just doesn't make a lick of sense in any respect.
  • J-SeaJ-Sea Posts: 202 Officer
    FWC at the inlet ramp checking everyone saturday