Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Hey, how about a little consideration out there everyone!?

First we have Mr "I'll fish in the middle of the channel if I want to"! Sitting there without a care in the world.
So what if everyone has to come off of plane to not swamp me! Tough!!!
Then my favorite is the guy who can very easily go behind you but instead goes between you and your structure at WOT in a slow zone to boot!! Happened in Bennetts creek this afternoon. Him I shall meet again:wink

Replies

• RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Try to get a picture next time, then maybe we can help with some payback,,,,
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    Same thing happened to me last time I was fishing in Mason's Creek.
    If someone is fishing in the middle of the channel, I recognize their stupidity but still try to be safe. However, there are some channels that if you're in a larger boat and come off plane, you might very well be screwed. In those cases, sorry bout your luck guy fishin in the channel.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,594 Captain
    I usually figure they are novices or just ignorant. I try to give them a break. Sometimes you actually have to wait for them to reel their line out of the way.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,499 AG
    Brodie wrote: »
    First we have Mr "I'll fish in the middle of the channel if I want to"! Sitting there without a care in the world.
    So what if everyone has to come off of plane to not swamp me! Tough!!!
    Then my favorite is the guy who can very easily go behind you but instead goes between you and your structure at WOT in a slow zone to boot!! Happened in Bennetts creek this afternoon. Him I shall meet again:wink

Those that fish the narrow channels pretty much get what they get. There are a lot of boats that will be grounded if they are not on plane at low tide. None of the Suwannee River channels have been dredged in nearly forever due to environmentalists. East Pass is completely unusable, sections of Alligator Pass and Salt Creek are out of the water on a negative low tide, and Wadley is getting there slowly as well. I think it is mostly due to ignorance of occasional users or those new to the area. For the most part the regulars are very courteous especially in the creeks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,209 Moderator
    Careful out there , It's just the beginning.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • sEA aRKERsEA aRKER Inglis fl.Posts: 123 Deckhand
    happened to me there last week. took a picture with my camera but it was not legible. was a white flats boat with a poling platform one guy and gal. also between mkr 37 and mkr. 33, that is a slow zone for whatever the reason, but a lot of people misread the sign and run right by on plane while I'm slowly making way and then they will slowly troll to the next slow zone and get up on plane and run right on up the river, where is the FWC when you need them. there are more manatees in the river this year that I have ever seen.
    sEA aRKER wrote: »
    happened to me there last week. took a picture with my camera but it was not legible. was a white flats boat with a poling platform one guy and gal. also between mkr 37 and mkr. 33, that is a slow zone for whatever the reason, but a lot of people misread the sign and run right by on plane while I'm slowly making way and then they will slowly troll to the next slow zone and get up on plane and run right on up the river, where is the FWC when you need them. there are more manatees in the river this year that I have ever seen.

Nature's speed bumps. :wink
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GatorCityGatorCity Posts: 311 Deckhand
    How about being 2 miles off Seahorse Key, not a boat around us, anchored up fishing trout holes, and 2 jacklegs decide to come cruising 50' off my bow for no reason. Next time I've got some 2 oz lead weights coming their way.
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,852 Captain
    Oh man,
    Don't go there with the lead pitching thing.
    Just dream about it like the rest of us.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    GatorCity wrote: »
    How about being 2 miles off Seahorse Key, not a boat around us, anchored up fishing trout holes, and 2 jacklegs decide to come cruising 50' off my bow for no reason. Next time I've got some 2 oz lead weights coming their way.

My brother was anchored way offshore on The Bridge last summer. An azzhat came up and circled him 10 times. He shook his fist at my brother and yelled "YOU ARE SITTING ON MY NUMBERS!" :Spittingcoffee

(true story, I kid you not)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StandOutI2StandOutI2 Posts: 544 Officer
    You guys think we have it bad here, go fish Charlotte harbor and see what that's like.... Had a guy come off plane **** near on my fish which was 200 yards out. Then the moment I pulled the fly rod out on ANY flat, here came the **** tower boats pouring in. I learned how to share real quick down there. However, there is a fine line, but here is nowhere near as bad as other places I've fished.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:fishing
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    I'd rather be passed by a boat on plane than one who slows down just enough to dig a big hole. Funny thing is the 'half-plane-big-wake-guys' always smile and wave like they done good! :grin

The most potentially harmful, utterly stupid situation we've ever encountered happened a few miles off Islamorada while trolling a weed patch in about 240' of water. Only boat there. Suddenly this really nice open fisherman, maybe 28-30', twin Yamaha 225's comes roaring up behind us, puts out a spread, proceeds to pass close to port then cuts in front of us. One of his big plugs with wickedly sharp trebles comes bouncing through the cockpit, right between mr gl and me sitting at the helm, and off the bow - without hooking flesh, or anything else thankfully. They never looked back.

You'd think someone smart enough to accumulate the dough for a pretty boat like that would have more sense.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 659 Officer
    navigator2 wrote: »
    My brother was anchored way offshore on The Bridge last summer. An azzhat came up and circled him 10 times. He shook his fist at my brother and yelled "YOU ARE SITTING ON MY NUMBERS!" :Spittingcoffee

(true story, I kid you not)

We were on the barge last year, only boat there. That spot can easily hold several boats if everyone takes their time to lay out currently.

Guy anchors up-current of us and drifts right into us. We had to kick his boat off of ours to avoid getting hit. Not even a sorry. ~30 miles offshore. Amazing.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    I don't slow down for people that fish the channel and I myself have been guilty of fishing in the channel too on a rare occasion, not anchored of course but drifting and try to stay out of the way as much as I can for obvious reasons, Suwannee is a good example, please don't slow down for me, please just cruise on by me if you see me fishing the channel. The wake on a boat at cruising speed is much less than the guy that drops down off plane and then plows by me thinking he is doing me a favor. I don't fish in a channel very much in fact rarely but sometimes it is a good place to fish. Steinhatchee gets choked in the winter time. But I hate that kind of fishing to be honest.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,981 Admiral
    Grady-lady wrote: »
    I'd rather be passed by a boat on plane than one who slows down just enough to dig a big hole. Funny thing is the 'half-plane-big-wake-guys' always smile and wave like they done good! :grin

The most potentially harmful, utterly stupid situation we've ever encountered happened a few miles off Islamorada while trolling a weed patch in about 240' of water. Only boat there. Suddenly this really nice open fisherman, maybe 28-30', twin Yamaha 225's comes roaring up behind us, puts out a spread, proceeds to pass close to port then cuts in front of us. One of his big plugs with wickedly sharp trebles comes bouncing through the cockpit, right between mr gl and me sitting at the helm, and off the bow - without hooking flesh, or anything else thankfully. They never looked back.

You'd think someone smart enough to accumulate the dough for a pretty boat like that would have more sense.

Holy crap, I don't want to think what I would have done there but, I have had the same thing happen to me as a lot of the others describe, boats just come cruising right by within a few yards of you fishing and you are the only one out there, ****. We had a knuckle head in a go fast chick boat once cut between our ski boat and our skier on lake Magdalene once. And he acted like it was our fault.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers