Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Flat lines with kite fishing

I've been kite fishing for about 4 years but have never mastered keeping my flat lines away from the boat or the sea anchor. Unless I am constantly monitoring them, which I am not because I am attending to the deep baits or the kite baits, the flat-line baits make their way under the boat or worse to the sea anchor, where they get tangled (i've caught a few fish while the bait is tangled in the sea anchor).

Need some help here and would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• quickreleasequickrelease Posts: 287 Officer
    Toss out the live bait prior to setting the sea anchor and hook them in the butt they tend to swim away from the boat....if you toss it while the sea anchor is out they see it as a haven and swim back into it...
    Quickrelease_1298509_n.jpg
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Toss out the live bait prior to setting the sea anchor and hook them in the butt they tend to swim away from the boat....if you toss it while the sea anchor is out they see it as a haven and swim back into it...

i've done both tossing them out before i set up the kites and also hooking them in the anal fin.

the problem with the first, is that they sometimes get tangled with the kite baits.

the problem with the second, is that they do have a tendency to swim down, but the presentation is not very natural.

i dont think i've done both at the same time, this may be a solution.

any other solution?

• JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Are you flying your kites off the back of the boat or the side?
    mako-logo.png
    Are you flying your kites off the back of the boat or the side?

i prefer to fly the kites off of the transom.

• capt benjcapt benj Posts: 125 Officer
    Another tactic, use a small ballon on break away rubber band up from leader, helps to move away and let's you see the bait if its coming back. If it is blowing hard and/or current light, front flats with kite in back are pain, add 3rd bait to kite is often easier. If wind allows and crew can take it, side anchor makes it way easier.
  • ameristratameristrat Posts: 133 Deckhand
    I am having a little trouble visualizing your problem, but is it possible your sea anchor is too big for your boat? If it's too big, you don't drift fast enough and your baits can catch up to the boat. You want to be dragging them slowly as the wind pushed your boat. Also, make sure you're fishing them directly opposite the kites if you aren't already.
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    capt benj wrote: »
    If wind allows and crew can take it, side anchor makes it way easier.

This is how we always kitefish, its tough on the crew, but as capt benj said, it works alot better, no tangles.
    ameristrat wrote: »
    I am having a little trouble visualizing your problem, but is it possible your sea anchor is too big for your boat? If it's too big, you don't drift fast enough and your baits can catch up to the boat. You want to be dragging them slowly as the wind pushed your boat. Also, make sure you're fishing them directly opposite the kites if you aren't already.

i am not talking about the baits on the kite, but the flat lines. i usually cast them out after setting up the kites, but will now put them out before i put out the kite baits, while the boat is still moving.

• Auburn1Auburn1 Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Use spinning reels for the flat lines and shorten up on the leaders so you get a good heave away from the sea anchor. Hooking near the tail helps. Balloons often don't go well with kites because the wind can push them in the same direction of the kites, depends on the current and how frisky the bait is. You should have two sea anchors, one large 9 or 12 footer for rough days to keep the bow into the waves and one smaller, say 4-6', that on lighter days will keep a 31' CC angled and allow fishing from the side. I have a 6' Paratech Boat Brake for that. In the end, there's no cure-all for keeping healthy baits out of the sea anchor when fishing from the stern, but the tricks above will reduce the times it happens.
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
  • Johnny BaccalaJohnny Baccala Posts: 68 Deckhand
    Although this seems obvious, be sure the flatlines are on the windward side of the boat (the kites will be on the leeward side).

JP
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    If your on a dead drift with the sea anchor I have yet to be on a boat able to successfully deploy flat lines and kites with the sea anchor at the bow. Even running a mid bait is nightmare. If you go off the side it is much easier but during the winter months that sucks.

If your a sporty and keep the boat in gear like many do its much easier.

In other words, I feel your pain and have no solution. I've hooked them in the head, ****, top, bottom and the little fockers always end up in the sea anchor. If the wind is too strong to side anchor, you really can't cast a pilchard over the sea anchor far enough. I fat gog you probably could.
  • ericfericf Posts: 463 Deckhand
    I always deploy sea anchor and flat/deep spread off the transom, and kites off the bow. Sea anchor our first, then flats, then mids, then deeps. Once the sea anchor side spread is out fully, then we worry about the kite spread.

Flats should be out really dang far, and sea anchor should only be big enough to keep the boat turned against the current. The current has to push the baits back faster than the sea anchor pulls the boat back. If the current is really slow or running in line with the wind, it helps to drop the flats first and motor up current a bit (not with sea anchor out, obviously). The extra slack line with current pushing on it makes it harder for them to try to swim back. I think when they're out far enough they don't even try though.

I always hook them in the nose, btw...

Just some food for thought. I've only daydreamed about live bait drifts for the last couple years so take it with a grain of rustiness :P

Tight Lines,
    Eric Fosbender

Team Googanator

2006 Bull Dolphin 22 with 250 Etec
  • waterboywaterboy Posts: 68 Deckhand
    I fish on a 25' Contender, and we fish 10 lines regardless of the conditions. Unless there's no wind for the kites. Our set up consists of two kites with 3 lines each, 2 flats, 1 just below the surface, and one further down, and we rarely get tangled. We deploy the sea anchor from the bow. Your issue most likely is the sea anchor being to big. How many kites do you fish?
    waterboy wrote: »
    I fish on a 25' Contender, and we fish 10 lines regardless of the conditions. Unless there's no wind for the kites. Our set up consists of two kites with 3 lines each, 2 flats, 1 just below the surface, and one further down, and we rarely get tangled. We deploy the sea anchor from the bow. Your issue most likely is the sea anchor being to big. How many kites do you fish?

i have a 12' foot paratech anchor that i use on my 31 contender. i usually tie it up at the bow and fly two kites off of the stern with 3 baits on each kite. 2 deep baits and then I TRY to deploy 2 flat lines.

alacrity wrote: »
    i have a 12' foot paratech anchor that i use on my 31 contender. i usually tie it up at the bow and fly two kites off of the stern with 3 baits on each kite. 2 deep baits and then I TRY to deploy 2 flat lines.

I find even the mid and deep rods end up off the front scoped and dangerously close if not in the sea anchor as well.

Do you use a very heavy breakaway waterboy to keep it up and down? Or do you drop those before the sea anchor? So the scope is passed it?
    i dont have any problems with the deep baits and the sea anchor, even though i deploy the deep baits after deploying the sea anchor.

Luckyteam7, on the break away, or mid water bait I use a 1oz sinker. It doesn't matter which lines go out first! Here is our set up: Sea anchor off the bow, 1 kite stbd bow, 1 kite stbd stern 3 lines each, 1 flat line port bow, followed by 1 bottom rod port, then mid, or breakaway, and finally a flat line port stern. The only thing you need to make sure is that your sea anchor is open, and the boat is in position before you start your spread. Here is what we caught last Sat. 10/22/11 1 sail on the kite, numerous king cut offs also on the kite, and 1 Bonito, flat lines 1 slashed bait all day, bottom rod 2 muttons, 1 red grouper, 1 black tip, and 1 yellow eye snapper, mid water had one king that pulled the hook boat side. Although conditions where not good we still a half dcent day. On this trip
    all the action was either on the kite, or the bottom!
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,155 Officer
    Maybe a silly question, but are you using runners? We fish 1-2 kites of one side and sea anchor and 4 lines off other (1 flat, 1 w a balloon, 1 w a 10-12 oz breakaway and one w a 2 oz breakaway) and works really well. But NOT if u are using runners. they will swim right back to the boat.
    waterboy wrote: »
    Luckyteam7, on the break away, or mid water bait I use a 1oz sinker. It doesn't matter which lines go out first! Here is our set up: Sea anchor off the bow, 1 kite stbd bow, 1 kite stbd stern 3 lines each, 1 flat line port bow, followed by 1 bottom rod port, then mid, or breakaway, and finally a flat line port stern. The only thing you need to make sure is that your sea anchor is open, and the boat is in position before you start your spread. Here is what we caught last Sat. 10/22/11 1 sail on the kite, numerous king cut offs also on the kite, and 1 Bonito, flat lines 1 slashed bait all day, bottom rod 2 muttons, 1 red grouper, 1 black tip, and 1 yellow eye snapper, mid water had one king that pulled the hook boat side. Although conditions where not good we still a half dcent day. On this trip
    all the action was either on the kite, or the bottom!
    So when you set that mid or bottom rod the line does not scope TOWARD the sea anchor? On a drift it moves towards the front of the boat, it does pass the anchor up but its a **** to bring it in to check it without ending up in the anchor. HMMM>
    All our lines are strait to the beam of the boat. There are some instances where the will slightly toward the bow, or stern. Ocasionally there is a scragler who wants to hide under the boat, or sea anchor just replace with another bait that usually takes care of that.