Tarpon 2016

124»

Replies

• kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 2,999 Captain
    I gotta admit I'd like to get on some bull reds. How do they fight compared to a big black drum? I've had those things pull me all over on 4000 sized reels.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,912 Captain
    When you tarpon fish a new area how do you do it and what do you look for? Virtually nobody seems to do it in my area but I know the fish are there.
  • joeg26erjoeg26er Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Caught my first tarpon surf fishing this past Saturday. First mullet of the season, first cast and hooked up. I posted the pic in the submit your catch photos in the general catch section.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 893 Officer
    When you tarpon fish a new area how do you do it and what do you look for? Virtually nobody seems to do it in my area but I know the fish are there.

What area do you fish?
    Jim311 wrote: »

I try to get out a few different baits early am and late evening. Throw a few of your favorite lures and fan cast. Also have out a live mullet, a live ladyfish, and a couple dead ones sitting on the bottom. (if you have room) Depending on the depth I'll try to fish the top 4 or 5 feet of the water column with one lure and have something else on the bottom to try to cover all areas. You'll start to notice a pattern (hopefully) after a few days of this out there.

Good luck.
    joeg26er wrote: »
    Caught my first tarpon surf fishing this past Saturday. First mullet of the season, first cast and hooked up. I posted the pic in the submit your catch photos in the general catch section.

Congrats!
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    Friends don't let friends fish for redfish when there are tarpon around. That is just nonsense!!

It depends on how you are targeting them. :wink
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer

The area you fish would help a lot. Easiest way to find them is to be in a likely area before first light. Be quite and keep your eyes and ears open.

Late season, like now, finding the bait is key.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 937 Officer
    Jim,
    I found some the other week near the mouth of the river, well upriver aout 1/2 mile, 1st light, outgoing tide. (derailed our hunt for the big reds up there...). Fish did not want Xrap, gulp jerk shad, live shrimp, pinfish or even live crab. :nono
    it looked they they were eating finger mullet. Window was about an hour or so.
    It seems this time of year the resident fish in our area (big bend) go up into the rivers when cooler weather sets in. But til then it is game on. When I see them they are near or in the rivers from Anclote on north, especially the spring fed rivers.
    Trick is to get the right bait predawn, get on the fish at the crack of dawn. Eventually you'll get one. I am still awaiting my first Nature coast ****.
    Caught more cobia than tarpon this year, I think. Crazy.
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 973 Officer
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    I gotta admit I'd like to get on some bull reds. How do they fight compared to a big black drum? I've had those things pull me all over on 4000 sized reels.

We are fighting these bull reds 34-40" on 3000 reels and 10lb line and 20-25lb leader. They fight hard though I think the bigger black drum fight harder.
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,912 Captain
    permit_me wrote: »
    Jim,
    I found some the other week near the mouth of the river, well upriver aout 1/2 mile, 1st light, outgoing tide. (derailed our hunt for the big reds up there...). Fish did not want Xrap, gulp jerk shad, live shrimp, pinfish or even live crab. :nono
    it looked they they were eating finger mullet. Window was about an hour or so.
    It seems this time of year the resident fish in our area (big bend) go up into the rivers when cooler weather sets in. But til then it is game on. When I see them they are near or in the rivers from Anclote on north, especially the spring fed rivers.
    Trick is to get the right bait predawn, get on the fish at the crack of dawn. Eventually you'll get one. I am still awaiting my first Nature coast ****.
    Caught more cobia than tarpon this year, I think. Crazy.

I have been seeing a fish or two out on the deeper flats but no big concentration of them unfortunately. I also rarely have bait when I see them which is probably part of the problem!
    I have been seeing a fish or two out on the deeper flats but no big concentration of them unfortunately. I also rarely have bait when I see them which is probably part of the problem!

If you are seeing them on the outside of a flat with any consistency, they are likely using it as a highway. Set up in the depth that you saw fish roll and wait for them to come to you. Put out a spread of live baits flylined or under corks and dead baits on the bottom. If you are seeing fish roll in an area, it is a tarpon spot. If there is one there are many.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 937 Officer

It could also be that the fish are hanging on that flat and staging to feed...maybe anchor up and see what's going on. wait em out and see if they are gonna feed.

The other day we were fishing in the everglades with Capt. Bob and we saw the fish, but no bite for a couple hours, eventually we saw one bust on baits, then another. Over the next 15 minutes it was obvious that the fish were feeding.
    This one ate my son's ladyfish.

this one was quite silver in color.
    Beautiful fish PermitMe.

Update: Caught more tarpon this past weekend. The water was so tannic that one fish looked like it bad been painted with golden paint. Fish around 120lbs
    I'm so jealous. It's been months since I've hooked an adult tarpon.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 11,618 AG
    Been over a year for me. Longest drought since I started fishing for them 20 years ago. I might have to change my handle to "Tarponless" or something. lol In my defense, I've been out of the country this year....but still. March can't get here soon enough.
    Been over a year for me. Longest drought since I started fishing for them 20 years ago. I might have to change my handle to "Tarponless" or something. lol In my defense, I've been out of the country this year....but still. March can't get here soon enough.

Mike, say it ain't so!
    Another update: Caught 2 tarpon yesterday. Both were nice fish, one was around 90-100lbs another was around 100-120.
    Ok next weekend I'm leaving the kids home and heading to my winter time tarpon hole. Got me all jealous in here.
    Mike, say it ain't so!

It's so. Tarpon fishing in Singapore sucks. Only home for a week at a time, and too busy to get fishing in.

Have no fear, I'll be back with a vengeance next year. Already planning the trip to the Keys in April. You going this year?
    It's so. Tarpon fishing in Singapore sucks. Only home for a week at a time, and too busy to get fishing in.

Have no fear, I'll be back with a vengeance next year. Already planning the trip to the Keys in April. You going this year?

Good, I am glad to hear you will be back on the water soon. We need to get out there together. I am not sure yet if I am going this year. I need to plan out my vacation days still...
    Update: Caught more tarpon this past weekend on live pinfish. Still a lot of very large fish around
    Invite please? Lol.
    I want to see how you guys do it up in Tampa. :)
  • FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 973 Officer
    Update: Caught more tarpon this past weekend on live pinfish. Still a lot of very large fish around

Saw quite a few nice fish today actually. During the incomer they were chewing. We didn't fish for them but watched them eat constantly.
    I'll be home on Friday for a week. :)

Hopefully the boat will start. lol
    RIP 2016 tarpon season
    RIP 2016 tarpon season

I'm going to get 5 more even if I have to jump in the tank at bass pro to get them!
    You guys have more time than we do up here. We are stuck with water that is too cold. Maybe we will get another window this year. You have more time and more windows.
124»