Tarpon 2016

Replies

• FusionZ06FusionZ06 Posts: 989 Officer
    Tarponator wrote: »
    IMO, nobody should be anchoring up in the pass in the first place. The Bean Point fishery is ruined.

No choice at this point. It's not possible to drift the pass anymore.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,944 AG
    There are plenty of other places to fish for tarpon where you don't have to anchor, chum, and then work your way through buoys, anchor lines, and the clueless once you hook one.
  • gumpiregumpire Posts: 36 Greenhorn
    ^^^ this is true...eventually fwc will regulate the bp fishery just like bg ie no anchoring or chumming

Now we got people on the trolling motor chasing pods in the pass and chumming
  • RobpelotRobpelot Posts: 610 Officer
    If you go out at sunset a lot of the chummers are gone and you can drift BP. Egmont is still a drift fishery because of the depth, and I hope they do tell the chummers and anchor fisherman that you cant do it anymore. Its getting insane...

But you also get the idiots.. (mostly 18 year olds with their dads boat) that cut you off in the drift or swarm you when you jump a fish. This boat on Monday night, I think it was Bobsled, was being ridiculous this old guy yelled at him and hammered the engine next to his boat.

But other people are good, a few people saw us on and started a drift 200-400 yards in back of us and off to the right, No Problem.
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,041 Officer
    gumpire wrote: »
    ^^^ this is true...eventually fwc will regulate the bp fishery just like bg ie no anchoring or chumming

Now we got people on the trolling motor chasing pods in the pass and chumming

People anchor and chum for grouper there.

The chasing of pods in passes with trolling motors has been going on for a few years now. Pick a pass and there's at least a few guides and and some other bozos that cut off your drift troll right in and push the fish down so they chum.

Today we were able to fish a pass with only 2-3 capts. all anchored up. just plain too lazy. As far as I could tell I was the only one who hooked/jumped (broken hook, uggh) a fish on the morning outgoing. she ate a crab.
    was able to present it properly, not like it was on a leash.

these fish have been around for 100 million years. The are the pinnacle of their evolutionary line. They are probably adapting to the way they are fished. like rattlers use their rattles less today than 100 yrs ago. Tarpon are gonna start feeding only at night to avoid getting hooked by those things in boats.

has the bite been slow for y'all or is it just where I am fishing?
    its been so slow. I have hooked like 5 and jumped one. And I have been out with beautiful crabs 5 days... This time last year I had jumped 20 and landed 8.
    Robpelot wrote: »
    its been so slow. I have hooked like 5 and jumped one. And I have been out with beautiful crabs 5 days... This time last year I had jumped 20 and landed 8.

too funny, Rob those are my stats so far. 5 x's out. one fish each time. none landed, all broke off at leader and today my 8/0 Gam. lost its point in one. I know better than to use those, so after all I did right today, I had made one big mistake on hook choice. Yeah last year the fish were eating. You could see them feeding. I have seen only a few pods actually feeding.
    These fronts with high pressure and big temp swing must be playing a role. 2 weeks ago the fish were everywhere, but tough to get bit. They had been eating grunts and ladys for us. today it was a crab. Not one bite on artificials.
    But hey, I caught 3 cobia tarpon fishing this year so far!
    hey hey! at least theres that!!
    permit_me wrote: »
    People anchor and chum for grouper there.

The chasing of pods in passes with trolling motors has been going on for a few years now. Pick a pass and there's at least a few guides and and some other bozos that cut off your drift troll right in and push the fish down so they chum.

Today we were able to fish a pass with only 2-3 capts. all anchored up. just plain too lazy. As far as I could tell I was the only one who hooked/jumped (broken hook, uggh) a fish on the morning outgoing. she ate a crab.
    was able to present it properly, not like it was on a leash.

these fish have been around for 100 million years. The are the pinnacle of their evolutionary line. They are probably adapting to the way they are fished. like rattlers use their rattles less today than 100 yrs ago. Tarpon are gonna start feeding only at night to avoid getting hooked by those things in boats.

has the bite been slow for y'all or is it just where I am fishing?

Bite has not been slow at all. We've hooked over 50 fish this year already.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 925 Officer
    In my opinion the bulk of fish had not really arrived until this past weekend. There are a lot of fish in the area now. But, Permit_me, I tend to agree with you that it was a pretty odd mid-may (we had a pretty nasty cold front on cinco de mayo!)
    Has anyone fished since the storm has passed?
    Has anyone fished since the storm has passed?

No fish out there yesterday in the "usual" spots. Buddy went to a backwater spot and found tons of them held up but wouldn't eat. Hopefully they didn't all go offshore :(
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get back to normal
    Update from yesterday. Spotty fish at Skyway, couple dozen fish at Egmont north, south saw 1 fish, Bean is wasteland no fish at all, LB misc. small schools off the beach, middle bay two schools of 200 fish or so but not really interested in eating. Crabs flush way late. Tide was ripping on the incomer. Anything else?
    Sounds like you drove over 100miles yesterday. You are also far more generous with that information than I would ever remotely be. Good on you sir
    Sounds like you drove over 100miles yesterday. You are also far more generous with that information than I would ever remotely be. Good on you sir

Yep, just about. This is my one freebie of the year :) I fully expect PMs :-D
  • RBC-RangerRBC-Ranger Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    Went out yesterday and fished St. Pete beach. Pretty sparse early, but did see a fair amount of small schools that didn't show up until late morning. As fusion said, they were NOT eating. Jumped one small fish about 60 lbs.
  • scootybscootyb Posts: 74 Greenhorn
    Was out grouper fishing last friday about 20 miles off clearwater and saw a good size pod greyhounding southwest heading in
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,382 Captain
    FusionZ06 wrote: »
    Update from yesterday. Spotty fish at Skyway, couple dozen fish at Egmont north, south saw 1 fish, Bean is wasteland no fish at all, LB misc. small schools off the beach, middle bay two schools of 200 fish or so but not really interested in eating. Crabs flush way late. Tide was ripping on the incomer. Anything else?

Good report, Fusion.

SPB, he essentially named all the common places, just covered in one day. You pro's know where they are outside of here though. Heck, I bet he caught double digits everywhere 'cept where he posted :wink
    Good report, Fusion.

SPB, he essentially named all the common places, just covered in one day. You pro's know where they are outside of here though. Heck, I bet he caught double digits everywhere 'cept where he posted :wink

I'll be straight up - flew one fish. That's it. Slowest day of the season but that was to be expected. We did way more recon then actual fishing.
    Never underestimate the value of recon!
  • Reel seriousReel serious Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    fished/searched this past Friday and Saturday from Casey Key to Longboat pass, seeing some fish, but no bites, we threw everything perfect crabs, threadies, pins, the fish are not staying up and don't seem to want us to be close, IMO they seem more interested in the mating/spawning cycle at this time, the water clarity was still murked up a bit, good look and have patience if you go, take it slow and just enjoy the show
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    We had a big school come by on Saturday 40 miles offshore while Snapper fishing.
    That is really cool, were they headed in or out Tony?
    Good info here about recent bite. Had not been out since storm last week so I did a little weekend thing starting out Sat. morning 6/11. we saw a fair amount of fish, mostly one or two rolling. Did manage to work one big girl over pretty good before she got the better of me as she was about 10 feet from boat when she jumped and popped off. The only bite of the morning outgoing. Went back out after dark - lost 2 fish. the Fish were not up on top feeding under bridge lights...fished into morning Suday and nada. Fish were there but it was so slick and hot with no current. Monday morning, I took my 17 yr old son and his friend out. west winds, saw one fish roll all morning. my son hooked up and jumped the fish but on the run she came undone. real tough tarpon fishing again this weekend. If you are not serious about it, you might wanna just stay home :grin
  • HFFHFF Posts: 157 Deckhand
    I have a thread for this video but I thought it would be appropriate to add this here. This is what it looks like when you're doing it right.
  • DConradDConrad Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    Sorry so late but hope the info helps some. We ran out for tarpon 6/11 and it was slow. Singles on bars and few interested in what we offered. I had my 12 year old son with me and so we decided to run out to 7 mile out of AMI to get some dinner. About a mile out and well beyond the bar we saw a bunch rolling in about 15ft and marked a freight train of hundreds and hundreds. They were within 10' of the boat and didn't care. Unfortunately they didn't care about our baits either. It was a great show though.
    We had a big school come by on Saturday 40 miles offshore while Snapper fishing.

Hmmm. Which way were they heading?
    DConrad wrote: »
    Sorry so late but hope the info helps some. We ran out for tarpon 6/11 and it was slow. Singles on bars and few interested in what we offered. I had my 12 year old son with me and so we decided to run out to 7 mile out of AMI to get some dinner. About a mile out and well beyond the bar we saw a bunch rolling in about 15ft and marked a freight train of hundreds and hundreds. They were within 10' of the boat and didn't care. Unfortunately they didn't care about our baits either. It was a great show though.

Nice.
  • SouthshoreSlayerSouthshoreSlayer Posts: 408 Deckhand
    That is really cool, were they headed in or out Tony?

Southeast