Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

four keeper trout today out of cr, lost a big one boatside & got wet doing it!!

Finally got some keepers today, new to the area. Had 2 in the box and my dead sticked rod with a popping cork and live shrimp got slammed, thought it was a small shark as I had got a couple of those earlier but when I got it close to the boat it was a big trout probily as long as my cooler, 24". I really wanted this fish bad, was leaning way over to net it didn't want to chance playing around and losing it, when all of a sudden I lost my footing and over I went! I been fishing 20 plus years, never had this happen. Gunnels are pretty high on my boat in the front also. Went under and in one stroke had my head back up, was hard to grab the side of the boat as when you are in the water trust me this is difficult. Swam to the back and grabbed the swim ladder and climbed aboard. Water was 5 to 7ft. but when I fell in I did not touch bottom so must have been in the deeper spot. Lost my rod, that sunk quick, my net, my sunglasses and my phone is shot. Was pissed that I lost that fish and my rod but after thinking about it I am lucky I was able to get back on because the breeze pushed the boat away from me quicker that I thought it would. Anyway caught two more keepers after that, just winged them in, Still had a lot of fun catching today! Oh yea everything in my wallet got soaked too, took it all out put it on my workbench to dry out under a fan.

Replies

• SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I'm glad you made it back in one piece! I've fell off both a boat and a kayak (twice) if that makes you feel any better
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    Funny report, i know its not funny, sucks about the rod and phone.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Now that's a expensive trip....
    Glad it turned out well.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Yikes! It's scary how quickly a drifting boat can leave you behind. Glad you're safe!
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,071 Captain
    I've read more stories where the angler fell off and the boat drifted away. Not a good situation. I have fished alone , but I always wore an inflatable vest. Not a bad investment. Nice work on the trout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,504 AG
    I was unloading a cooler at the dock last fall and the boat drifted out a few inches and over the side I go with cooler of fish, sunglasses, wallet.............over my head. Retrieved the cooler but biggest fish swam away, luckily sunglasses stayed on head and wallet had to dry out. Cell phone was in boat thank goodness. I'm glad no one was around to see it. I was embarrassed for myself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quad32xQuad32x Anthony , FloridaPosts: 293 Deckhand
    Now that was a heck of a trip !
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,758 Captain
    Good job catching fish. I had a similar experience recently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 937 Officer
    I agree with what Ruff said. I got one for Christmas as I fish alone once I a while. It's not the most fashionable accessory and a little annoying when it's hot, but I always wear it when I'm alone. You can drown in a foot of water if you're unconscious.
    Glad you got some nice fish man! Try some big soft plastics or mirrodines. I screwed around trying to catch a trout for several hours in our club tournament Saturday and couldn't get the pins to leave it alone. 2nd cast with a 5.5" Doa jerk bait I got a 20" trout in the same spot I was drowning shrimp for 30+ minutes.
  • one more driftone more drift Posts: 133 Deckhand
    yea the pinfish and other little fish were tearing up my shrimp too, finally put on gulp shrimp which lasted a lot longer. On a side note I usually cast out the popping cork, dead stick it in the rod holder and work a lure while keeping an eye on the other rod. Sometimes this works and sometimes I lose the fish but it's more fun I think, anyway was casting a shrimp jighead called a vudu shrimp, got a lot of hits on it and two keepers. A guy from west marine told me about them.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,594 Captain
    Those are the days we remember.