Home Fly Fishing

A Very Good Day Yesterday on Sanibel ( 5-15-2016)

TgrassTgrass Posts: 204 Deckhand
Yesterday I fished Ding Darling in the Morning and the beach in the afternoon.

The morning fishing in Ding Darling is a bit of a challenge because of the bugs and they can drive you of the water.

This was my one and only fish that hit in the preserve, It ate a mini Tarpon Toad and put on a very good ariel display and took the fly deep in the back of the roof of the mouth. I did not have a tape but my friend and I both think it pushed the 30 inch mark.

Later in the day I fished the beach and the water was extremely clean and sight fishing was the way you expect it to to be. My first three hook ups all resulted in three jumps and three tossed hooks. Sort of frustrating.

Things did take a turn for the better, the fourth fish stayed buttoned up and a nice 24 inch Snook,

The next fish was a big girl cruising up the beach and I watched it eat the fly. I was lucky to have two people from the UK walking the beach who were nice enough to take this picture. This fish was hook solid in the corner of the mouth. It measured 38 inches. I found my tape after my Tarpon morning.

Not much later as I was walking up the beach I saw another big fish cruising like the first one bout one foot of the beach and again when it saw the fly it just turned and ate the fly in a very casual motion. This fish did not bolt like the first one. it took a little bit before it really got going but once it did it put me into my backing 4 times.

I did not have anyone around to take the picture so I slid it up on the beach and snapped a quick photo and a quick measurement and released her as well. This fish was 31 inches.

This is the fly they all ate.

Replies