Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Tripletail shutout 5/15

We hit the water at about noon to beautiful conditions and ran out to start looking for tripletail again. Anna has them on the brain and I've been trying to put her on one since she's never caught one. Anyway we had chances at about a dozen of them today but they were very picky and most wouldn't eat. We hooked three and all of them shook the hook either boat side or in mid air. The wind shifted to the west again and interrupted our triple tailing efforts so I decided to explore a new creek on a low outgoing tide. There was a lot of movement and bait there. A red was popping at my topwater and missing when something blew it up big time. It pulled quite a bit of line and took me some time to get to the boat. More fun than most reds I've ever caught and made some blistering runs.

TP43X8Z.jpg

After that I lost a good trout and had a few reds follow but nothing really wanted to eat so we left at around 6. Everything seemed interested but not hungry today. Still a fun day. We are really enjoying sight fishing and trying new stuff. If we'd gotten there earlier in the morning for the high tide I imagine we'd have done better with the reds but they weren't really the target species.

Replies

• Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Posts: 1,414 Officer
    Nice report. Sounds like a great day on the water! Those trips can be picky.
    You gotta head back out to get Anna one.......
    Brian
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Nice Report Jim
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    It was a nice day out there yesterday. We hit high tide and the Reds were biting pretty good with little water moving. Boated 9 with three coming unbutton at boat side.
    That is one big jack to be up in the creeks....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Redbonz wrote: »
    It was a nice day out there yesterday. We hit high tide and the Reds were biting pretty good with little water moving. Boated 9 with three coming unbutton at boat side.
    That is one big jack to be up in the creeks....

Yea the tide was fairly weak but started to go out pretty good towards the late afternoon. I think most people left pretty shortly after high tide judging by the parking lot.
  • GatoRellaGatoRella Posts: 521 Officer
    What were you throwing at em Jim?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I threw all my standard inshore stuff. Paddle tails, flukes, DOA airheads, mirrodines, topwater plugs, and spoons. The only stuff they bit on was the mirrodine and the DOA airhead. They would follow basically all of the baits and watch it very intently, but would either very lightly nip at the baits or just follow it all the way to the boat. The mirrodine I was throwing seemed to be the ticket, it was rigged on a baitcaster with 15LB fluoro line and no leader. I just don't think anything was particularly hungry. The topwater plug drew lots of interest and since I could chuck it a mile I was actually able to draw in fish so that we could cast other baits at them that they'd actually attempt to eat. We got in many many casts at lots of these fish. I think I'll rig up a fake shrimp to take out for our next trip and try that. I might bring some live shrimp too which I rarely fish with.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,761 Captain
    Good fishing trip. I especially like that jack. We've had good luck with live shrimp on a small circle hook for the tripletail. No weight if possible but a small split shot if the current dictates. Sometimes there are flounder below the trips and we add weight to get down below the tripletail to catch them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    The DOA fake shrimp work. I also have trouble keeping them buttoned up. Things have a hard mouth.
    "You'll get your weather"
    capt louie wrote: »
    The DOA fake shrimp work. I also have trouble keeping them buttoned up. Things have a hard mouth.

Yeah, I couldn't believe they could shake the trebles of the mirrodine. We run our drags pretty stiff for reds so I don't know how they're managing to throw the hooks. We rarely ever lose fish to dropped hooks but these things have our number. I think part of it is that many of them swim towards us when hooked, and jump or allow slack in the line so they can shake it. Tricky little dudes. We are definitely going to have a DOA or similar shrimp tied on next time. Those also drift really way and slow/neutral buoyancy will help.
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,259 Officer
    A big Jack like that is my second favorite fish to catch. For a while you think it could be a big Snook. Those Jacks test knots, lures and reels, but what fun!
    It was a blast. Need to get out and do it again soon, got the topwater itch real bad!
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Jim311 wrote: »
    It was a blast. Need to get out and do it again soon, got the topwater itch real bad!

Can you slip away Thursday am? Heading out with Paul, weather permitting.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Can you slip away Thursday am? Heading out with Paul, weather permitting.

No but I may be free Friday afternoon.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,506 AG
    Looks slow Jim. Dog days of summer are here early. :banghead Can't say I am eagerly awaiting my next trip over on Memorial Day weekend. Might have to bum a ride offshore if there are poor tide days.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yeah I think the water is already in the low to mid 80s. I'm not very good at late summer redfishing either. What I really love is creek fishing. Close quarter redfish battles in skinny water are where it's at!