Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Boating question

Can anyone offer 18-20' boat recommendations for the area. I'm looking at either Egret or Young. My wife and I will be spending a lot more time in Florida and will be looking to move from Pompano to the south west coast. All we want to do is fish. I like to throw cast nets and fish live baits, artificials when needed. What do you guys suggest.

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 815 Officer
    Vinnie,I made same move some 10 years ago to Naples.First question you need to ask yourself
    will I be fishing offshore or backcountry.Second,you seem to indicate backcountry,then join
    a fishing club either Marco or Naples.Why?Backcountry is very intimidating at first and both
    clubs have veteran fishermen to show you around.How intimidating?SW Fla.from Naples
    to Cape Sable is the longest stretch of mangroves in the world.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    10kman wrote: »
    Vinnie,I made same move some 10 years ago to Naples.First question you need to ask yourself
    will I be fishing offshore or backcountry.Second,you seem to indicate backcountry,then join
    a fishing club either Marco or Naples.Why?Backcountry is very intimidating at first and both
    clubs have veteran fishermen to show you around.How intimidating?SW Fla.from Naples
    to Cape Sable is the longest stretch of mangroves in the world.

Love the challenge of new exploration and joining a club is a great Idea, Thank you!
    In addition to my wife and I looking for a place to settle in, I would love to speak to someone that knows the area and can recommend either a Young 20 gulf shore, the Young Bay 20 or the Egret 189 or 2011. Primarily to be used in the backcountry with the ability to handle a chop comfortably when having to cross deeper waters.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 815 Officer
    Vinnie,I would go with 18-20 Egret,Actioncraft or Hewes Redfisher.All will do what you are looking for.
    As far as living in SW Fl.I would take EC and Choko over all of them for the fishing.But medical,grocery
    stores and retail extremely limited.But they have three,at least bait/tackle stores.
    Can't talk your wife into that area,most of us couldn't otherwise 1/2 million would live there,then
    Naples.
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 382 Deckhand
    10kman wrote: »
    Vinnie,I would go with 18-20 Egret,Actioncraft or Hewes Redfisher.All will do what you are looking for.
    As far as living in SW Fl.I would take EC and Choko over all of them for the fishing.But medical,grocery
    stores and retail extremely limited.But they have three,at least bait/tackle stores.
    Can't talk your wife into that area,most of us couldn't otherwise 1/2 million would live there,then
    Naples.

1/2 mill for a place in EC or Choko or for a place in Naples?