Hillsboro Inlet - 5/12/16 - Great day for Quantity,Quality and Variety

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,780 Captain
Launched off the beach at 4:30am on a mission to catch live gogs for bait. Bait fishing was slow, by 615am I had only 3 live goggle-eye bait in the live well. As dawn approached stopped targeting gogs and began to look for runners. I scratched up 6 runners and began fishing around 7:45am. First bait was not out more than 15 minutes before it was hit - Boom ! It acted like a big King Mackeral from the very first signature long screeching run. 40 minutes later, I had a second nice king on the kayak, then the action slowed down. I jigged and trolled the rest of the morning to scratch out a bonito and a couple of small Almacos. In the Afternoon, the weak Sth current died, and a 1 knot Nth currrent picked up as did the fishing. By 4pm I was heading in. The days catch included 2 king mackeral, 1 Amberjack and a MahiMahi > 40”, 2 Blackfin tuna > 30” and a bunch of smaller Almacos, Bonito and Blackfin. The kings weighed 18 and 24lbs at Aces Bait and Tackle and estimate the catch brought to the beach to be North of 90lbs.

Double header on Almaco Jacks -- always nice to catch 2 fish on one drop of the jig !

The Captain America pants look pretty goofy, but being a survivor from melanoma, I find that they are the most comfortable form of sun protection which is more important than how they look.

I usually catch bigger blackfins on bait -- The above two wanted the jig.

I was reeling in what felt like a little tuna on the jig, and then suddenly the reel started singing and came to life. I had high hopes that a wahoo had gotten hooked attacking the tunny, but it turned out to be Mr. Amberjack instead.

The Mahi hit a live runner along a weedline that I was jigging in 280ft of water

When I could not fit all the fish in the fishbag, it was time to head in !

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    :hairraiser One of the better slams I've seen from a kayak. Very impressive bag. $$$$$
  • WhelanWhelan Posts: 193 Deckhand
    90 lbs - Nice work!
    2014 Ocean Kayak Trident 4.7 Urban Camo
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,453 Captain
    Stellar job from a yak. They should have a yak division in the Rodeo. I am sure you would have taken it with that catch.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 470 Deckhand
    Nice work. What kind of electric reel are you using? LOL.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 551 Officer
    That was awesome John. Thanks for sharing.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you launch that is that near to Hillsboro Inlet?

Thanks.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Great catches! What depth did you get the tuna in? I've only been catching smaller ones recently
  • Mike JMike J Posts: 90 Greenhorn
    Awesome!!!!
  • yakker88yakker88 Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Awesome day on the water! I'm heading out of Boynton in the morning, I would be happy with half of that!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,780 Captain
    Thanks Everyone for the nice comments.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you launch that is that near to Hillsboro Inlet?

Thanks.

Dave, I launched from:

North Ocean Park
    3424 NE 16th St, Pompano Beach, FL 33062
    What depth did you get the tuna in? I've only been catching smaller ones recently

Tarpon Hunter the 2 big tuna were taken between 250 and 300ft of water on jigs. I had a big one on bait the week before in 150ft of water.
    yakker88 wrote: »
    Awesome day on the water! I'm heading out of Boynton in the morning, I would be happy with half of that!

Thanks, So would I :grin .... hope you had good luck.
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Good stuff john
    Hobie outback
  • inshore daveinshore dave Posts: 551 Officer
    Thanks John.
    2014 Hobie PA14-Dune
  • TommyOTommyO Posts: 8 Greenhorn
    Great report John! Thinking of heading down there and giving it a try myself!
  • superman48superman48 Posts: 67 Deckhand
    Do you sell the fish or are you keeping 90lbs of fish for yourself?
    superman48 wrote: »
    Do you sell the fish or are you keeping 90lbs of fish for yourself?

It is illegal to sell sport caught fish. I give the kings to people who have smokers, Most the other fish go to friends and neighbors. I also throw alot of fish back....good mojo for catching more !!
  • Dude-On-A-KayakDude-On-A-Kayak Posts: 256 Deckhand
    ****. I can't keep up with you! That's an awesome catch.

I never know what to do with kings. I want to get a picture and release them, but I also don't want to get my finger bitten off. I usually debate about it long enough for them to wiggle the hooks out of their mouth next to the PA and swim away.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    :thumbsup
    ****. I can't keep up with you! That's an awesome catch.

I never know what to do with kings. I want to get a picture and release them, but I also don't want to get my finger bitten off. I usually debate about it long enough for them to wiggle the hooks out of their mouth next to the PA and swim away.

Agree Dude, It is more challenging to get catch and release photos of a king. They usually make several fast darts when you pull them up close to the kayak....after a few of those, they slow down.....then need to have the Gopro already on, grab the tail, then under the gill, hold it up, then unhook in the water. Best to avoid putting in the kayak as it removes alot of the fish's slime. Know you already know this...posting it for other readers.
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Love reading your reports!!! Hell of a load!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk