Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

"Girls Fishing Day" Homosassa 5/12/2016

Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,073 Captain
Thursday, Gary(Doby One) and myself had decided we would check out and maybe add some real shallow numbers to our Grouper arsenal. Took along the girls of course with the idea that they would man the rods all day. Even the ones with weeds on them!LOL
We were going to stay from 12ft back into 9ft. We would troll these spots to see what was hanging out and mark good looking areas. Well, it turned out better then expected. We found some nice areas and they held some nice groupers. The Girls had a ball. Gary and I got to be mates for a day. In fact, they wore us out!
Carolyn with a nice one.
3ae54858-b8ec-4ba9-8698-48fca42a313a_zpsksl36rvp.jpg
It didn't take long and Gail's hooked up.
100_6394_zps0clkje4j.jpg
Another pesky critter.
100_6396_zps6hqsa1o8.jpg
Nice catch and release day. I loved Redbonz post on our last outing " getting a lot of practice", well we have had way to much practice , but it has been fun. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the weeds don't start building up because it will quickly shut our trolling down.
After our grouper practice session we ran out to 15ft and set up on a nice rock, hoping to call in some cobias with a nice chum slick. It worked. In came two cobias with Gail losing hers to the rock, and Gary(how did he get a rod?) losing another really big one to the rock. We are snake bit on cobias this year. We can't seem to get a legal one in the boat. Sharks started to harass us and the girls were getting tired of fighting them, so we headed back to port.
The gumbo has all settled to the bottom. At least in the shallow areas, so it seems that problem has abated.
Seas were nice, fishing was good. Found some new numbers. Groupers are still hanging out close. June 1st is right around the corner! Probably the best part, the Girls had their day, they didn't have to give up the rod all day.(well if a 50 lb. cobia swam up, I might take it away). Yea right!
Enjoy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I love seeing these good reports in such shallow water. How'd you keep those plugs from bouncing bottom in only 9 feet?
  • barhopper51barhopper51 Posts: 561 Officer
    As usual, a great report. Thanks.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,073 Captain
    Jim311 wrote: »
    I love seeing these good reports in such shallow water. How'd you keep those plugs from bouncing bottom in only 9 feet?

Jim, I was using a Rapala 20(rated for20ft) with 70 ft of line out. Yes, it did bump bottom, but that's how I like it. I really stir the bottom up!. But, I did lose a plug yesterday also. Usually I can get them free, but not that time. You can play around with the amount of line you let out, that will determine how deep your plug will run.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Jim, I was using a Rapala 20(rated for20ft) with 70 ft of line out. Yes, it did bump bottom, but that's how I like it. I really stir the bottom up!. But, I did lose a plug yesterday also. Usually I can get them free, but not that time. You can play around with the amount of line you let out, that will determine how deep your plug will run.

Thanks, I thought that might have been bouncing the bottom with them.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,761 Captain
    Good job Ruff One. Nice gags. My last Cobia trip was a bust but we caught 5 nice sea trout out in 19ft, a surprise this early.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Good job Ruff One. Nice gags. My last Cobia trip was a bust but we caught 5 nice sea trout out in 19ft, a surprise this early.
    That is a surprise!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    Nice catch, i guess thre gags in this area have gone down there
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,740 Captain
    Nice gags, good for y'all
    You should have been here yesterday
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,222 Moderator
    Cool. :cool: The weeds will have a lot to say about that trolling. They are sitting offshore planning their attack and rallying the masses. :banghead
    "You'll get your weather"
  • lbudlbud Posts: 1,014 Officer
    This goes against all natural instincts but try free spooling the reel just before the cobe gets in the rock and with no pressure on him he might even swim back to the boat!!!
    Live while You're breathing! It's Your only chance.....:grin
    capt louie wrote: »
    Cool. :cool: The weeds will have a lot to say about that trolling. They are sitting offshore planning their attack and rallying the masses. :banghead
    And the groupers are their "cheerleaders"!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nicely done boys and girls. The first is right around the corner.....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead