Skip to main content
Home Boating

How do you organize stuff on your console dash?

MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 3,843 Captain
I currently have a plastic suction cup drink holder/storage bin on top of my console. But, I was thinking of adding some kind of mesh storage "bag" to the console grab rails, on the inside of the windshield. I usually have cellphones, mp3 players, fishing tackle, drinks etc.. pile up during a day on the water on the dash and I am looking for a better way to organize all of them.

I know there is nice commericially made ones, but Im wanting something cheaper...:grin

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    "necessity is the mother of Invention" as each console is a little different, to get one that covers all your needs is gonna mean a custom piece. My favorite method is to see whats already commercially available and combine the aspects that i like from them, into something that works for my situation. You may find that you want to add a usb charging port or a glovebox to hold stuff. This may require rearranging where something goes but may help with your final layout. Maybe someone can post some pics of what they came up with to give you some ideas.

I get to see a lot of new boats and can definately say that the manufacturers have taken just the things you've mentioned in to account when designing there new offerings. A trip to a boat show would be a good place to start. I know your not planing on replacing a console with a new design but it may give you some ideas as to where to start.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 3,843 Captain
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/J.L.-Childress-Sip-N-Safe-Console-Tray/22236467

This is kinda what I was thinking about! Cheap and can attach to the console grab rail.
    I like it. be sure and check to see if anything used in its construction will deteriorate in a saltwater environment.
    I have had to change things like screws and replace with stainless ones to get things to last.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • SignaturestrikeSignaturestrike Posts: 457 Deckhand
    That is super smart mark! Might even be worth spray the crap out of it with water repellant (scotch guard) just to help it hold up and as Dan said change anything else out at could meet its maker in the salt environment. Let's us know if you pull the trigger and make it work.
    :thumbs up
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    I made a custom, suction cup mounted box out of 1/4" starboard. Holds 2 drinks, handheld radio, pliers, hooks/lures, etc.. Got tired of stuff sliding all over the console.
    Dfreedom wrote: »
    I made a custom, suction cup mounted box out of 1/4" starboard. Holds 2 drinks, handheld radio, pliers, hooks/lures, etc.. Got tired of stuff sliding all over the console.

Pics, or it never happened.:wink

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • windblowswindblows Posts: 274 Deckhand
    Please keep us posted on how that Wal Mart find holds up. I am looking for a small, pipe/tube mounted dry box that I could mount on my console grab rail or poling platform. Easy to find cupholders like this, but not a dry box. Seems like there would be a market.
  • DemonDemon Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Try Boatmates products. Made for the marine use. The zippers on the Walmart stuff are going to fail quickly around saltwater.
  • DfreedomDfreedom Posts: 106 Deckhand
    Pics, or it never happened.

If I make to my boat anytime soon (it's 2 hours away) I'll share.:wink