Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

"Outdoor Kitchens"----> Recs?

Got my own shovel ready project started the other day and I'd like to visit a few stores that sell grills and build custom outdoor kitchens.

Any good, solid Recs in South Florida?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Try Culinary Concepts in Pompano. 954-781-5163. Just south of Atlantic on the east side of Federal.
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
  • myjemmyjem Posts: 1 Greenhorn
    how far south do you live gary
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    Try Culinary Concepts in Pompano. 954-781-5163. Just south of Atlantic on the east side of Federal.
    This. Know a couple of people they've helped.
  • Gary MGary M Posts: 13,207 AG
    myjem wrote: »
    how far south do you live gary

North Lauderdale........

Nothing super fancy, no fridge, gas lines or water/sink. Maybe a 30-36" drop-in grill into a nice cabinet with 18" of countertop on both sides and with storage below.....

I drive by Culinary Concepts all the time....... thanks!

Update:

Visited The BBQ Depot in Hollywood and then Culinary Concepts last Saturday. Looks like we have a winner with the nice folks at CC! They gave me an estimate based on the size and what I wanted as well as some good advice concerning the patio construction and where they will fit in there in the building process......

Thanks!
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Gary M wrote: »
    Update:

Visited The BBQ Depot in Hollywood and then Culinary Concepts last Saturday. Looks like we have a winner with the nice folks at CC! They gave me an estimate based on the size and what I wanted as well as some good advice concerning the patio construction and where they will fit in there in the building process......

Thanks!
    Thats great and you will be satisfied.
    Did they pour you a draught while you were there?
    P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg
  • locoloco Posts: 1,294 Officer
    Update:

Thanks!

When's the cook out??
    Thats great and you will be satisfied.
    Did they pour you a draught while you were there?

They offered me a beer and had freshly grilled chicken and beef roast there to nibble on!

Here's the patio. The concrete gets poured tomorrow and you can see the 7' 4" wide spot for the grill, etc at the far end of the patio. Culinary Concepts will build a masonry cabinet and with the grill in the middle, we'll end up with about 28" of counterspace on both sides of the grill. Dual doors below will house the gas tank as well as two drawers. The grill (a 30" Alfresco) comes with a cover but I'll probably get my marine canvas shop to make a custom cover.

001.jpg

You can see where they took off the old, flat roof and they will blend in new, full roof trusses to then go on with the whole roof on the entire house at the same time to give the new, larger patio a permanent roof.

Here's a closer look at the grill/kitchen area. It will be covered by the new roof but I'll still keep a cover over it since it's at the end of the patio. There will be electrical outlets at the grill area for important stuff like a blender!

002.jpg

003.jpg

We will have the entire patio tiled and then have the new grill/kitchen installed after the whole project is finished.
  • BAMFBAMF Posts: 118 Officer
    How much hassle was it to get the permits?
  • JohnnyBlackJohnnyBlack Posts: 352 Officer
    Gary, congrats! It looks like it's going to be awesome. Once I close on my new place, I'll be looking to do this as well. You'll have to have me over for a cold one to check yours out...:grin:hungry:beer
    mako-logo.png
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Port CanaveralPosts: 18,669 Admin
    Awesome "build" thread Gary. :beer

Keep taking plenty of pictures and keep us updated. We'd love to see how the project progresses as well as the finished project
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    Very cool, ready to discuss some Politics over a Beer. LOLOL. I kid of course. About the Politics that is.
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Wow, looks like an awesome project Gmon! Thanks for stimulating the economy. Can't wait to see the end result.
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    that is going to be super awesome. enjoy.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
    BAMF wrote: »
    How much hassle was it to get the permits?

Well, this is why I decided to hire a Contracter to do/organize everything rather than trying to tackle all the jobs individually myself. I went through Broward County Permit Hell a few years ago just to get a new front door so I knew where my limitations and patience ended. Scott Foulke of Foulke Contsruction was one of four guys that we inteviewed for this project and he's done a great job so far. His Rec for an Architect and I came up with the overall design and we added some custom things like retractable screens, triple tray ceilings with indirect lighting, etc, etc.

Here's the action so far this morning. Scott Foulke assured me that pouring concrete was actually better on a cloudy day since it allows the concrete to dry a bit slower and that eleminates the chance for cracks.

I know this looks like a Govt job, but they actually have poured one half and were waiting for some fresh concrete to mix thoroughly in the truck out front.....

001-1.jpg

Nothing too high-tech here, but getting it smoooooth! The guy in the white shirt on the left is Austin and he's more or less the job foreman at Foulke Construction. He's originally from Harbour Island over in Elethuera and he cracked up when he found out my boat is named "HEY MON!" He did all the framing and most of the rebar, etc work.... good attention to detail by him......

002-1.jpg

We'll be laying 24" tiles that are sort of a shell/beach/coral rock design. The patio will have a slight slope/drop to it with drain pipes at the far end for water drainage.....

003-1.jpg

And, as usual, we had the "pop-up" problem yesterday which is to be expected with a near 50 y/o house and that was that we found a drain pipe leak inside the wall coming from the kitchen sink which overlooks the patio area! We knocked a hole in the outside wall and found the leak, so now I have to have a plumber come out and fix that after the patio dries! Uggghhhh........

I'll keeping posting photos if you guys want since I'll be taking them anyway......
  • copout@castaways[email protected] Posts: 5,779 Admiral
    looks very cool Gary! keep them pics coming....
    looks like we've found our next forum happy hour location...
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Lookin' good Gary!!! Can't wait to see it in person ;)
    Wow! The slab came out great! Very smooth and the good news is that there appears to be zero cracks of any kind that we can find and that's always a good thing!

004.jpg

Here's the grill area. We had to make an extra pad/area for it to keep it from blocking those sliders coming off the office. We couldn't take the patio floor out any farther out on the south end because of complications with the roofline above that area. We are adding a permanent, new roof above the new patio and that needed to be "blended" in with the house roof which, after 47 years, is finally getting replaced!

005.jpg

Here's the future grill area again. The screen door will be to the right of that and it will open up to an outside 8 x 8 tiled floor/pad to allow access to the back yard and the boat.

006.jpg

Here, Austin has already begun building up the columns that will support the new roof. They are 16 x 16 hollow blocks and will be filled with cement.

007.jpg
  • Lucky7Team2Lucky7Team2 Posts: 6,794 Officer
    It's gonna be killer it looks like. You going to out up a pergola or tiki hut?
    Nope, but we have some other pretty cool things that we're doing with it!
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    My Uncle who spent over 50 years in the Concrete business told me when I had my pool deck poured, " there is only two types of concrete, cracked concrete and concrete that is going to crack":p Looking good!
  • alacrityalacrity Posts: 2,666 Captain
    Nope, but we have some other pretty cool things that we're doing with it!

TMI.

dpdash wrote: »
    My Uncle who spent over 50 years in the Concrete business told me when I had my pool deck poured, " there is only two types of concrete, cracked concrete and concrete that is going to crack"

Yeah, probably right. The old, original patio was a stamped concrete floor and it had a few cracks.

My GC said that it was "good" that it was overcast the day that they poured because it's better to cure slowly rather than faster on a sunny 90 degree day.

Doug, you outta come by in the Whaler some Sat/Sun afternoon and take a look! Call first....
  • treetopflyntreetopflyn Posts: 3,937 Officer
    Looking Good Gmon. When does the Tiki Bar go in?
    Looking Good Gmon. When does the Tiki Bar go in?

Not on this project.

But, I've always wanted to put in a bigger/longer "L-shaped" dock and build a tiki hut out on the part that sticks out into the canal. Hammock, speakers playing some island music, some easy chairs, cooler on wheels and with the boat bobbing in the water right there.......

The guys (basically two guys doing all the grunt work) have made more progress in the last few days so some update photos to follow later today or tommorrow...... :beer
    I took these the day before the demolition began. The old patio roof was a flat wood & tarpaper roof that had a dozen coats of paint on it to stop the leaks. They normally are good for 10-12 years and this one was installed in 1990 so it was way over due!

Compare these photos with the ones above of the new slab!

005-1.jpg

Here, you can see how narrow the patio was and also how low the ceiling was.

004-1.jpg

The kitchen window is actually a cut-down pair of sliders that open very wide from the kitchen sink out to a 14 foot long counter top. When we "used to have" parties, we'd line up all the food on the counter and eat buffet style and with the kitchen widows slid open, the people in the kitchen were still sort of included in the patio activities.

I'm at the kitchen sink here last Christmas Day.... That's our very own fellow Forum guy, Edk on the far side of the table. You can see that with the plastic adirondack chair, that "seating" was always a problem. Notice how low the old ceiling was as well as the narrow depth of the old patio. Katrina and Wilma took away the old screens that were up! That did make for easy access out to the boat though! We not only wanted a bigger patio but knew that raising the ceiling would also give us a much "bigger" room.....

008.jpg

Here it is coming down! The guys that did the demo were great and were careful to protect the windows, etc.

010.jpg

They cut the old slab down into manageble pieces......... They also cut the tarpaper roof/mat in such a way as to hang down and cover the then, exposed roof trusses/beams which turned out to be a great idea!

011.jpg

When they had the little Bobcat lifting out the mini-slabs for removeall, two pieces were "connected" with something and it turned out to be the copper water line running from the house out to the dock! They cut the line and capped it and we they had to bring in a plumber to repair and bury the line before the new slab was poured. Pop-up problems like that are to be expected.....
  • vortex911vortex911 Posts: 12 Greenhorn
    your best bet is to form it up and shhet it with dura rock or some type of cement board the precast ones at the outdoor stores do not last and are over priced. Then buy some 18" travertine from home depot and and tile it. I made one at my previous house for around 3500 iincluding grill, stainless hood, granite I'll look for some photos to post. you can do it for much less if you delete stainless hood and granite.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    Why didn't they run any electric in the slab? You could recess some receptacles in the columns. You could even add some lights for the back yard in them.
  • BAMFBAMF Posts: 118 Officer
    jad1097 wrote: »
    Why didn't they run any electric in the slab? You could recess some receptacles in the columns. You could even add some lights for the back yard in them.

And some snook lights! I'll pay for the installation if you give me the coordinates!
    vortex911 wrote: »
    your best bet is to form it up and shhet it with dura rock or some type of cement board the precast ones at the outdoor stores do not last and are over priced.

Once the patio project is complete, we'll work with the folks at Culinary Concepts to design a custom cabinet and counter around the Alfresco 30 incher. There will be sockets, lights, etc at the grill area.