Skip to main content
Home Boating

bait stuck in drain in 20' Egret

bradenredbradenred Posts: 34 Deckhand
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I'm having trouble with some small bait getting stuck in drain in my 20' egret. I have both drains covered with factory screen plugs. I'm hoping shutting down the lower drain would prevent any small bait from going thru.
Has anyone had problems with this?

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    This is a common issue with small baits and even big. The bottom has such a pull on the drain side that it pulls all the dead bait and whatever else there is weed grass etc. Do yourself a favor and go get a few screw in standpipes.Remove the plate and make several sizes like this.Use 2 inch PVC it will cover the standpipe and attach with two screws and drill the holes 1/4 or 3/8 in.You'll never clog the well again or have it overflow. It will also keep the water level consistent when you run since the open drain won't pull more water than the pump will supply. Hope this helps.

1_zpsy7plxll6.jpg
    2_zps7myfxw2k.jpg
    3_zpsqefzxq4k.jpg
  • bradenredbradenred Posts: 34 Deckhand
    thank you very much, I didn't see any screws on plate. can you just pull it away? I know it sounds stupid,but I'm mechanically "challenged"
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    I think it may be screwed in from the back side in the bilge access area. At least min was it had four screws. Not sure if the newer ones are like that. I would check to see if there are first. If there aren't any screws the just cut around the caulk and remove the starboard cover and clean up the residue.