Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

The Other End of the Indian River Reprised - 4/28 & 4/29/16

Well, I was down in Ft Pierce again - though not for the best reasons - visiting my ailing Mom. Anyway, couldn't sleep much so spent a couple of early mornings at the south causeway fishing pier clearing my head. Same approach as my last visit - heavy bucktail jigs and large paddle tails on jig heads - fished as close to the bottom and around structure as possible. Both nights the tide was incoming until early morning with a slack tide/then outgoing just before sunup. I stepped up gear this time breaking out my med heavy ugly stick and used 30lb Power Pro with 60 lb Berkley Big Game mono leader (the stuff has great knot strength and abrasion resistance from my experience - was my go to mono before switching to braid years ago) but unfortunately with the same results. Had five hookups with nice snook (I'm assuming - they felt like snook - but the locals say the pier holds grouper including goliaths as well) and never stood a chance when combined with the current and pilings. I'm talking this is going to require a grouper type setup. I had one on a good five minutes - that jumped when I stopped her from going around the end the causeway pilings - but then she swam against the current straight underneath the fishing pier I was standing on - game over. All the others were hookups at the base of the pier pilings which they promptly used as an obstacle course to swim through - in case you weren't aware braid cuts fairly easily (though I don't think anything but steel cable would make a difference). These fish pulled 20lbs drag (just serviced Stradic FJ 5000) with me cupping the spool and walking the opposite direction enough to burn my fingers. Bottom line - two trips - Snook 9, Gettinwet 0 (well, I did catch one under slot Snookling that I failed to mention above so maybe I could credit myself a 1/2 point).

But boy was it a lot of fun finding them - nothing like a strike on a big jig - just the slightest tap followed by screaming drag - never fails to make my heart stop!! I practiced pitching behind every piling - which cost me a small fortune in jigs - but have a pretty good feel now for the pattern with the tides. The pier was loaded with bait, jacks, bluefish, moonfish (I think they are also called look downs), lady fish, plus a few big bull sharks swimming by, and of course a lot of big snook. Though I focused on targeting snook I did catch jacks, bluefish, and ladyfish but also a few nice flounder (all on slowed rolled paddle tails) and about a six pound mangrove snapper (nailed a a pearl 4 inch paddle tail on a strike king jig head dropped between two pilings). All but one snook (which ate a pearl/gold 4 in paddle tail) were caught on 1 1/2 or 2 oz red/white bucktail jigs tipped with curly tail grubs. Funny though the blue fish really like the jigs too - especially when I worked up and down in the water column - while all the snook hit while slow rolling/bumping along the bottom.

There are only so many casts in life so shut up and fish!!! Tight lines everybody!

Following are a couple of pics including the mangrove, the biggest flounder, and the moonfish:
There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!

Replies

• Kshay9845Kshay9845 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Nice report! Where is the pier in Ft. Pierce?
  • Kshay9845Kshay9845 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Never mind I found it on google earth. Might be going there.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    Hope things work to the good with your Mom .... Prayers for her :angel

You got some nice dinners..and you got the big boys located...it's now just a matter of time and a little good luck....you'll get them.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Hope things work to the good with your Mom .... Prayers for her :angel

You got some nice dinners..and you got the big boys located...it's now just a matter of time and a little good luck....you'll get them.

Thanks for the prayers - it is just a matter of time now. We've known it is coming for awhile........fortunately she's had a full life and is at home with friends and family.......though still isn't the easiest thing to come to grips with.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Kshay9845 wrote: »
    Never mind I found it on google earth. Might be going there.

There is a north and south causeway - the south causeway is best on an incoming tide but I've caught fish there in all tide conditions but you have to fish on the structure so be prepared to lose a lot of tackle.

If you like to wade fish there is a great flat to the south east of the east end of the north causeway. Just keep an eye out for sharks.