Walts Fish Shack

In all my time here, I have never gotten there. I went down to the Old Salt Kingfish Tournament tonight because I needed a couple fishing rods and GatorJims was there...That worked out great and the overall set up there was AWESOME!!!!!!

So, after a couple beers there we wanted some dinner so we thought we would try Walts. It was FANTASTIC..

Walt was sitting at the bar with us and we had a great time talking with him.

Had some deep water grouper that was excellent. The wife had crab cakes that she loved. We had smoked mahi which was fantastic.

Great night. Got some new rods and other miscellaneous stuff from the vendors and had a great meal.

Tight Lines. Good luck to the participants in the tournament.
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,099 Moderator
    Good stuff, Paul. Walt's is the real deal. Come on out to the weigh-in, should be a great night.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,106 Captain
    I would love to but we have a suite at the rays game tonight so I will be in a puddle there....good luck to everyone who participates. I am not a big tournament guy. I did do the grunt hunt a couple years ago because I thought it was fun and funny and a bit of a statement to the morons that manage our fisheries. In general I don't like what tournaments do to the fun of fishing...See PTTS in Boca Grande.... But of all the tournaments, this seems like one that I could do because it seems like old salt is the real deal. Maybe one of these years. I guess I need to start to like to fish for kingfish.....Tight lines and smooth seas for everyone who is going out today...
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 229 Deckhand
    We are planning to go to the weigh in tonight, hope it'll be worth the drive. Old Salts has a great history
    in the community. I'll have to try Walts, is it close to the weigh in ? Good to hear Gator Jims is there,
    can't wait till his new place opens.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,106 Captain
    Sorry, just saw this so probably too late but yes. Walts is in John's Pass Village. It is kind of hidden though. Little house/shack kind of in the southeast corner.
  • snookwhisperersnookwhisperer Posts: 229 Deckhand
    Thanks, we found it. We ended up getting dinner at the weigh in, there was plenty of good "eats" at the weigh in.
    Old Salts really put on a great show! I was surprised at how many fish were weighed in, we didn't make it to the end,
    it was after 11pm. I'll put it on my calendar for the fall tournament!
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,099 Moderator
    Thanks, we found it. We ended up getting dinner at the weigh in, there was plenty of good "eats" at the weigh in.
    Old Salts really put on a great show! I was surprised at how many fish were weighed in, we didn't make it to the end,
    it was after 11pm. I'll put it on my calendar for the fall tournament!
    Thanks for the kind words, we at Old Salt worked our tails off to make this tourney one of the best. Could be the largest Kingfish tournament on the planet.
    Walt's is a great place, I could go on and on about his story, too much to type.