FWC Proposal To Commercial Seine Seatrout!!!

mcnallymcnally Posts: 356 Officer
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is expected to vote on new trout rules at its meeting Nov. 16-17.
For recreational fishermen, the FWC will vote on making trout legal year-round statewide.
Commercial fishing changes include doubling the daily limit to 150 for two fishermen, and allowing seine nets to be used.The Snook Foundation will tabulate the results of the poll and present the data at the FWC meeting.
For a look at the poll and more on the issue, check: http://www.snookfoundation.org/news/fishing/473-trout-fishery-poll.html

Replies

• sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    jesus christ.....
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • nicknick Posts: 4,474 Captain
    Seine nets?, are you ******* kidding me?
  • saltybradsaltybrad Posts: 501 Officer
    The commercial crunch is now coming inshore. They've cornered the offshore fisheries and are coming for you guys now. ITYS.
  • MoondawgMoondawg Posts: 214 Officer
    I think this may be the 43rd thread on this... I voted a few weeks ago..
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    saltybrad wrote: »
    The commercial crunch is now coming inshore. They've cornered the offshore fisheries and are coming for you guys now. ITYS.
    YNTMS...:rotflmao
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 2,866 Captain
    Lots and lots about this topic on the Conservation board. Go there for additional info.....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 4,000 Captain
    Visit myfwc.com at the top of the page is a banner and in that banner is a contacts button click on it and then click on commissioners. Go to the bottom of that page and click on the e-mail commissioner’s link. It will bring up a simple form for you to write to the commissioners and tell them what you think about this. Be nice, write to them the way you would want to be addressed.

Tell them to make trout a game fish with no sale status and do not expand the commercial harvest or season. There is a very small contingent of commercial fishermen asking for the moon and the commissioners seem willing to give it to them. At this point I am willing to not expand the recreational season if it means they are going to throw the door open for the commercial guys. This will be devastating.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,439 AG
    lemaymiami wrote: »
    Lots and lots about this topic on the Conservation board. Go there for additional info.....

You guys really should stop over there now and then to see what's going on.
    Here is a link:
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/forumdisplay.php?5-Conservation-Front
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • fichinthesouthfichinthesouth Posts: 54 Greenhorn
    oh lord
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Don't mess with my truck!!
  • brettfitzbrettfitz Posts: 438 Deckhand
    If you haven't taken the poll at the SGF site (www.snookfoundation.org), or emailed the commissioners on this, please do. It is worse than it originally looked. The commercials are asking for a 75 fish "by catch" exception for trout caught in their seines, YEAR ROUND. And they want to be able to sell this "by catch" YEAR ROUND.

Essentially, that means there would be no closed commercial season, and no way to enforce someone targeting trout because there is no way to prove intent. "Well, I saw some mullet here, sir. These trout are by catch..."

Pass this on to any of your fishing friends. It will impact all inshore fish. Seines do not discriminate.
    "A 'real' fisherman is one who thinks like I do. There are more of us around than you might suspect."
    -John Gierach
  • troutman561troutman561 Posts: 575 Officer
    I email the commissioners. I also added this paragraph to the end of the letter..

"I also suggest keeping the current recreational sea trout season with slot limits also being upheld. Why change what has been working for so long? Please take this issue into serious consideration. We saw what happens when an easy to target inshore fish is heavily commercially fished via netting with the redfish and trout populations in the 80's and 90's. I surely hope we do not make the same mistake twice and have to start from square one with low populations, strict limits, and 15 years of fishery recovery. Seine netting will not only hurt trout populations, but also the redfish, black drum, snook, tarpon, and various forage species that are commonly found in the same areas as trout."