Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Spring Snook

High water all afternoon fishing with my buddy PTPC on Sunday. Redfish bite has almost been non existent but we were hopeful. Found some creek Jewfish and large sailcats in the back, too rough to do much out front. Finally found a nice pocket to pitch baits into after the tide turned and Peter pulled out a huge jack. After wrestling with that we got repositioned and he pulls another one out. I flipped a bait in there right after the jack cleared the hole and was rewarded with this 36" beauty. Had the drag down pretty tight and only 20# test leader but this beast still ripped quite a bit of line and pulled HARD... I swear I thought "something" was going to give at least 3 times during the battle. Got a bit upset with PTPC cause he hadn't opened the net in so long it had a bit of salt crust on it and had a hard time getting it sprung. We argued about whether the net goes in the water first or when the fish is already at the side of the boat but I finally convinced him to put it in the water so I could lead the fish into it. This fish barely fit into the net! Fist bumps, a quick picture and immediate release. I hope to see more of these as the summer patterns start to show.

"If it's not one thing, it's an alternator"

Replies