Wade Fishing MacDill AFB Question

Tampa Bay Anglers,
I've got a question. We (the local CPOA) are planning a fundraiser fishing tournament here at MacDill AFB, but I'm REALLY unfamiliar with what can be caught from the beach near the base. I spend most of my time fishing offshore and haven't done ANY wade fishing since I've been in Florida (about 9 months now). Any idea what could be caught from the beach near MacDill AFB in early/mid July? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Also, you don't have to limit your help to just what's biting close to shore in the bay that time of year. If you've ever put together a fundraiser tournament before, or really any suggestions, they'd be welcomed and appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 902 Officer
    Trout, redfish, snook, flounder, ladyfish, jacks, mangrove snapper near the rocks, catfish, spanish mackerel maybe.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I used to access the mangroves along the air base fence. Snook!
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • floridascubafloridascuba Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Which CPOA chapter? I haven't heard of any mention of it. I would be curious how well the tournament does. I recommended the same thing to raise money to our mess. That and a golf tournament.
  • floridascubafloridascuba Posts: 94 Deckhand
    Hit up the local tackle stores to see if you can get Donations. Let them know what the CPOA does. Raffle off the items at the tourney. Same if you hold a golf tournament. Raffles are your money maker.
  • Slo Poke1Slo Poke1 Posts: 327 Deckhand
    Don't forget the bull sharks.
  • Port Tampa SlammerPort Tampa Slammer Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    I work and fish on Macdill quite a bit, The flats in front of the beach are good for Reds, Snook, and Trout. The flats east of the golf course is where I like to wade fish on base. I see and catch a lot more fish in that area.
  • cobiatchcobiatch Posts: 3 Greenhorn
    My office is 2 blocks from the Base entrance on Dale Mabry. Please contact me if you are looking for sponsors for the tournament. I would love to get some information to the owners. Thanks
  • conranjconranj Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Thank you everyone for your comments and assistance. We've gotten the big rocks dealt with in regards to our tournament and are moving forward with advertising. The tournament is a fundraiser for the U.S. Navy Ball and the funds raised will help to ensure that the junior personnel that wish to attend can do so at little to no cost.

The tournament will be held at Picnic Island Park here in Tampa on 16 July 2016. This is the first time we've ever done anything like this, so please excuse us if it doesn't go too smoothly (although it should go well). I've got a flyer put together that will be going out shortly, but you can email us at [email protected] for further details.
  • conranjconranj Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Sorry if this isn't the right place to promote this, and please correct me if it isn't. Take a look at our event page on FaceBook and feel free to share the event. We're trying to get the widest dissemination possible. Also, we're still looking for sponsors who would like to donate goods/services to be included in the on-site raffle. We're looking forward to seeing you all there!

www.facebook.com/USNavyBallFishingTournament
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,097 Moderator
    You're in the right place, no problem.
    If you need any help PM me, putting together tournaments is something I'm very familiar with.