To the moronic jet skiers off Dunedin Causway

If you were one of the 70 or so jet skiers that blasted by us while we were anchored off Honeymoon Island on Saturday, thanks for reinforcing ALL of the negative stereotypes real boaters have of you. You all came up in a group and shot by us and other fisherman without caring how close you came or that most of you went well inside the no combustion motor zones on the island. I was lucky to pull anchor and move before the next wave came through. As if the noise and noxious fumes weren't enough, collision was a real possibility. We couldn't help but notice the majority of you were middle aged, bald and fat. Wow........what babe magnets you must be!

As a result of this episode, I've decided to quit assisting the idiots I've found adrift in the Gulf as a result of your own stupidity, lack of foresight and inferior boating skills. Depending on your attitude and my mood, I will relieve you of most of your money and all of your beer before offering a tow. If you're a completely entitled AH like those mentioned above, I will take a GPS reading and notify the CG of your whereabouts when I return to port. It's the decent thing to do.

If you own a jet ski, take heed, because I'm not the only one disgusted and fed up with you, and this is one local you you've thoroughly pissed off!

Replies

• keenerbenkeenerben Posts: 78 Greenhorn
    It is not just a stereotype. These sea rats are an epidemic down near me around Johns Pass, possibly due to the rental market to tourists. In one afternoon, we assisted no less than 4 rental jet ski's off of the sand bar, after they attempted to drive through 3 inches of water (my wife the humanitarian made us help). However, the tourist variety of sea rat generally is not guilty of the egregious boating violations like buzzing fishermen, breaking up bait pods on the flats, and nearly hitting my boat while trying to jump the wake. Yes, much like the 70 that Kahuna met, it is the Resident A- Hole Jetski enthusiast that is the even larger problem. I had one guy get within 10 feet of my transom trying to spray us with water, when he caught an edge in my wake, he flew off and almost got run over by his buddy. I felt no compulsion to stop.

Hopefully one day the marine patrol will quit hassling rec. fishermen and make the waterways safer.
  • stpetebaitmanstpetebaitman Posts: 902 Officer
    As I was driving over the Gandy on Sunday I saw a jetski overturned with two people in the water attempting to right it. As heartless as it sounds, I could not contain my laughter. Good lord do I hate jetskis.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 10,871 AG
    Always thought there should be a season on them.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • jayseasjayseas Posts: 813 Officer
    Harbor Lice
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 8,283 Admiral
    Agree with all of the above.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • jdl1948jdl1948 Posts: 102 Deckhand
    Routinely get buzzed on the grass flats on the north side of the Clearwater Causeway. PITA.
    Spending a couple of days in Crystal River relaxing, not fishing. Rented a pontoon boat for a few hours today and noticed the serenity....not one jet ski in sight, or even speeding real boats. I guess with a speed max of 25 mph, it's not too attractive to the idiots. I'm sure the limit does not apply to the whole area, but for today, TG for the manatees.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,200 AG
    jdl1948 wrote: »
    Routinely get buzzed on the grass flats on the north side of the Clearwater Causeway. PITA.
    Spending a couple of days in Crystal River relaxing, not fishing. Rented a pontoon boat for a few hours today and noticed the serenity....not one jet ski in sight, or even speeding real boats. I guess with a speed max of 25 mph, it's not too attractive to the idiots. I'm sure the limit does not apply to the whole area, but for today, TG for the manatees.
    Plenty of idiots in CR, most of them from down south.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,938 Moderator
    jdl1948 wrote: »

I got soaked a few years back in CR by an idiot on a JS. I was anchored outside of the markers and he came really close and sprayed me. :banghead Yes , sometimes they are here. And local.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ElkchaserElkchaser Posts: 180 Deckhand
    kahunastev wrote: »
    If you were one of the 70 or so jet skiers that blasted by us while we were anchored off Honeymoon Island on Saturday, thanks for reinforcing ALL of the negative stereotypes real boaters have of you. You all came up in a group and shot by us and other fisherman without caring how close you came or that most of you went well inside the no combustion motor zones on the island. I was lucky to pull anchor and move before the next wave came through. As if the noise and noxious fumes weren't enough, collision was a real possibility. We couldn't help but notice the majority of you were middle aged, bald and fat. Wow........what babe magnets you must be!

As a result of this episode, I've decided to quit assisting the idiots I've found adrift in the Gulf as a result of your own stupidity, lack of foresight and inferior boating skills. Depending on your attitude and my mood, I will relieve you of most of your money and all of your beer before offering a tow. If you're a completely entitled AH like those mentioned above, I will take a GPS reading and notify the CG of your whereabouts when I return to port. It's the decent thing to do.

If you own a jet ski, take heed, because I'm not the only one disgusted and fed up with you, and this is one local you you've thoroughly pissed off!

Solid second post. I am using your idea, I might help you, but first give me most of your money and all of your beer.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,554 Moderator
    Always thought there should be a season on them.

To quote Vic Dunaway, whom I respect in every sense of the word, "There ought to be a kill tournament for them"

vacations-travel-holiday_activity-bait-relax-relaxed-fishing-37830300_low.jpg
  • lukkyracerlukkyracer Posts: 710 Officer
    I have very little problems with jet skies in Sarasota and Bradenton. It is the tower boats, most of them guides. They buzz the shoreline like they own it, and then wonder why there aren't as many fish around. It is kind of funny how their clients think they are looking for fish for them

All slow zones. They don't care. One day I am going to follow them and buzz every spot the try to fish.